User personal paypal for taking payments

I would like to use Prestashop for a smaller personal project. It would be ideal for now to use my personal paypal account to take payments while we see if this project is going to work.

Is it possible to take paypal payments in Prestashop without having a paypal business account ?

Thanks for your time

• 4 weeks later...

So, I am going to guess the answer is no - time to install wordpress then.

You're not the only one.

I just installed Prestashop, as I've been using it few years ago successfully..just to find out that I need a business account for paypal.

Wow, time to find another online shop. Very disappointing.

Hopefully wordpress is treating you better  :)

Older version of the PayPal module were able to use a personal account, you may be able to find it online, or as a part of older (PS 1.4 or 1.5) installations.

I'm sure you are correct, but this doesn't make me comfortable at all, for how my future payments are being handled. 

as I am going to run a small online shop, so I'm thinking of changing to magento or cubecart, as they both accept paypal standard payment and they have a module for it. I don't want to use system which fights against my paypal usage. As I don't have a business account. Seems like prestashop is making a point, that they don't want private users to sell products and are looking for registered businesses only.

So, thanks but no thanks Prestashop.

Why is this a problem? You can create a business account for your shop and keep your personal paypal account for personal payments. You can have both, a business account AND a private paypal account. You just need to different email addresses. At the end a shop IS a business no matter if it is small or big. If it turns out that your prestashop won't generate the income you have expected you are not forced to use the business paypal account any further but you have one just in case you need it.

Why is this a problem? You can create a business account for your shop and keep your personal paypal account for personal payments. You can have both, a business account AND a private paypal account. You just need to different email addresses. At the end a shop IS a business no matter if it is small or big. If it turns out that your prestashop won't generate the income you have expected you are not forced to use the business paypal account any further but you have one just in case you need it.

Because I can't withdraw money to my bank account from my Paypal business account if the linked bank account doesn't have the exact same name. So, as I don't have a business, therefore I only have my personal bank account.

I've read this in several forums and, when creating a new business account, they mention this there also -> The business name you entered should match the one on your bank account to ensure that you can withdraw money received on you PayPal account later.

Of course, I can try to create my business name exactly the same as my full name in my bank account, but I'm not sure how that would go. Still figuring things out.

If you are a one man business your business name is your name. Nobody can force you to have any other business name. And if your name on the bank account is your name the business name should be your name.

Thanks man, I'll give it a go  :)  Let's see how it will work.