( SOLVED ) Add prestashop to joomla

No, as long as you enter a different database prefix when you install Prestashop than your Joomla installation is using, it will not overwrite Joomla. You can even use different database prefixes to have multiple Prestashop installations in the same database.

When you run the Prestashop installer, you will be asked for your database server, name, login, password and prefix. By default, the database prefix is "ps_", so Prestashop will add that to the front of every table it creates in the database. You could then download the alpha version of Prestashop and copy it into a separate test directory. When you run the installer, you can change the database prefix to "test_" and the installer will add it to the front of every table instead of "ps_", which allows both installations to run from the same database.

Sometimes being able to do something isn't the same as whether it's a "good" or "wise" thing to do. If you can, then I suggest that you create a separate database for your Prestashop install.

If you do not, then for example one issue that you may face is that if you ever need to restore from backup, you have to restore everything - and usually lose content from everything. Lets say you mess up your store after adding lots of content to Joomla. If you restore them in a shared database back to a point that recovers the shop but not the joomla content, then that would be something of a disaster for you I would think. If they were in searate databases you can backup and restore them independently - you'll also find that the database exports you take are more manageable too.

Paul

• 5 months later...

late to the party, just want to clarify something...

If I am on a VPS server, can I install Joomla and host a website and add prestashop in to a subdirectory of the initial install without a problem? Obviously I would keep the DB separate.

I am a bit confused as I have found this module and don't quite get what it is good for if you can already install joomla and prestashop on the same server.

Thanks in advance.

dear reader

just wanted to know if youw ere using IXXO cart or not, i have found that the lack of there support will stop me from using them, this is why we have developed our own joomla - prestashop login and account creation bridge.

PM me for further details