Backoffice session timeout - since I am using the latest releases I cannot setup a proper time limit

Hello

Since I am using the latest releases of prestashop 1.6.+ I cannot understand what to do to avoid to be logged out automatically after a short time.

I tried to set up the time to 1 hour, to 60 hours, to whatever time, from the very reasonable numbers e.g. 1 -2 -3 to very high numbers alike 360 or 480 (let's say these are minutes and not hours, a translation problem....before, in previous releases, it was minutes....)

What ever I did ended up to no effect, I get logged out after a few minutes, let's say no more than 20.

I do have a dedicated IP, I registered the IP in the maintenance tab.... what else can cause the session timeout now?

I really need to solve this problem as it makes me loosing plenty of time when I am setting up anything that takes more than a dozen minutes, furthermore, in this way I am forced to over frequently save, interrupt my work, and have a sense of anxiety to forget to save every few minutes.

Of course meanwhile I work it can happen that I need to answer to telephone, go for a little pause and so on.... unlike a robot I can forget to save, it happens.... it is really stressful to come back and know that all the unsaved work done is lost then....

SO basically I am feeling very frustrated by this new unsolved bug of prestashop and/or lack of documentation about how to fix the problem.

I searched for a solution and found only other posts of people having the same problem but no answers, no workarounds, no hints, no happy ending.

Does someone expert of prestashop knows why this happen and have will to write the solution here?

Please help us, many people have this trouble , it is a very disturbing issue making prestashop less usable and less comfortable.

To whoever might concern this issue, thank you in advance for the help...

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I created another super admin, it does not work, I get logged out before the time limit, it is quite difficult to tell how long after tough.

I did set the time limit to a shift of 4 hours. just as before using another superadmin profile it seems that prestashop does not care of the time limit desired by the user whatever it is.

When logging in ticking the "Leave me connected" option does not make a difference.

I try to change it to 8 hours and let you know.

What can I do to help you discovering the culprit, there are a lot of posts warning about this issue, none reports a solution.

Obviously does not happen to everybody, at least seems to be the logical thing, otherwise there would have been an anormous amount of warning, by the way it is quite common, it is better to solve it, it is so annoying....

Thank you

Best regards

D.

Update: I did set it up to 12 hours, does not work, it is a fresh installation, not tweaked, pristine, latest version available....

Please let's find the culprit, it is so annoying..

Thank you

Best regards

D.

I though immediately that creating another super admin is a nonsense, by the way as code is funny I tried it anyway, it did not work (not of course, it could happen something....)

By the way, it did not help, that no solution at all

I am pretty sure it is a matter of hard coding in some presta file +  the GUI in backoffice does not write/read the values in that file, ....

Hi

I tested on 3 different hosts form months, never got different results, changing superadmin profile could be a workaround for some other bugs (?!?!), but did not work,

I am now sure that is is a matter of a compound of code errors somewhere in several files preventing the BO from reading and writing the proper value in the proper config file where this feature is regulated.

This very easily explain why whatever you do nothing happens, just because that dialogue is plain death, not active, does not read the value and does not write it.

Changing the value manually might solve the problem.

Thank you

Best regards

D.

• 3 months later...

Probably your provider frequently change IP.

Administration>Preferences

Check the cookie's IP address - NO

Thanks. I tried this, but the same thing is still happening.  I'm pretty sure it has something to do with SSL, because if I log in using http (not https) it doesn't seem to be happening. Of course, I could disable SSL, but I would prefer to log in securely.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also having this issue and have been for over a year now but I do have a tip that might help until the problem is resolved. Having to relog every 15 or so minutes is annoying but it's not a massive issue. The big issue is that if I spend too long editing a page, product or module and forget about the logout. Clicking save will send me to the login page and I lose all of the content I just entered. One solution I found when I know I'm going to be spending a long time on a page is to open the dashboard up on a separate tab and then before saving my content I refresh the dashboard tab, if the dashboard loads I know it's safe to save my content and if trying to load the dashboard kicks me to the login page I can login on that tab and then I know it's safe to save the content on my main tab. 

I was under the impression that it was related to my IP changing frequently so figured there wasn't anything I could do about it. Changing the option "Check the cookies IP address" has no effect on it so either it's something else entirely or this option doesn't function as it should.

I've got many different users in my back office, a few of which have Super admin status and all accounts have the same issue. No matter what number I put in the timeout field I always get logged out in less than 15 minutes.

I've also noticed that this appears to be the case when I log in from a home computer also so it's not just isolated to my work connection.

Other things that may be worth sharing: In the past two years I've had 3 fresh prestashop instances. One on 1.5.6, one on 1.6.1.1 and the most recent one being on 1.6.1.7. The issues only seemed to effect the latter two of these. So this may be a 1.6 issue. The latter two were also hosted on a different server to the 1.5 instance so that may also shed some light on the issue.

Edited by cyanoxide (see edit history)

I searched for and downloaded an 'auto-page refresher' extension for my Opera browser.  In order to prevent getting logged out I did as cyanoxide does and open a separate PS backoffice tab and set that to refresh at 10 minute intervals.  I can then go about my business on another PS tab and work on my shop uninterrupted.

I tested this and it works great.  I'm pretty sure they make these for all browsers and some browsers may have this built in already.  If you use Opera it's called Page-AutoReload and you can set the intervals in increments of your choosing.

Remember to log out when your done working.

Hope this helps

Edited by Copernican Theory (see edit history)

• 5 years later...