Permission denied ZipArchive::extractTo. Unable to install

Apparently i can't install. The exact error is : 

PHP Warning:  ZipArchive::extractTo(/var/www/public_html/beta_store/modules//onboarding/upgrade/install-0.1.8.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/public_html/beta_store/classes/Tools.php on line 2699, referer: beta_store/install-dev/index.php

I notice there's a double // after modules, i am using latest 1.6.0.14. All folders are 777, user is www-data and group. I made a test php file that creates a file and a directory and it works. Why i can't extract? :(

Edited by Spyridonas (see edit history)

I tried installing the latest available version from git just to check if that error was a bug of the release. The same error occurs on the release package too (its on another line. 1548 i think , same file --Tools.php )

• 2 years later...

I've encountered similiar problem.

When you download archive from GIT or any other version control service be sure to change the names to the correct ones!

Look at the main PHP file of the module and copy it (without the ".php"). For example, if module's main file name is superEffectiveBlog.php then you need to copy: "superEffectiveBlog". Then change name of the module's directory to "superEffectiveBlog" and zip it. The name of ZIP file is not relevant.

Now you can upload the zip correctly.