Paypal Fatal error at checkout zip field

Ralph Northcott

I updated my Paypal module before Christmas to accommodate the security changes.

Now I am finding that about 30% of my customers from the uk are getting this error at checkout

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2015-01-07T21:54:21ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10730L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address Postal Code EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address Postal Code is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

I have looked back through the forum history. This problem has been occurring for a long time now.

On the country settings page I have clearly said YES to does this country require a zip code, but the box is not available at checkout for the customer to enter the zip. Of course, Paypal then rejects the payment, because it requires a zip code.

How can I make a box appear at checkout?

​Or more importantly why does Prestashop not fix this issue decisively ?

I am using the default theme - so have made no changes anywhere,

I don't understand why it only affects about a third of customers - I think it must be browser related, but in any case I am getting a large number of failed orders.

This is a typical email from a customer - received today

"Hi there, I've just created an account and would like to make an order, but unfortunately I seem unable to save my address. I get the error: A Zip/Postal code is required. But there is no field for the postcode. Help please?"

Looking in the forum, it seems there are seven different formats of uk postcode, so I cannot enter a template for a standard uk postcode on the configuration page. I have to leave it blank. On the configuration page it says this is ok, but maybe this is the root of the problem?

I am still getting lots of customer errors. 

I have enabled error reporting and get error notification by email, but when I check the logs nothing is there, only old error logs from a year ago.

This problem with the uk zip code has been reported as long as four years ago.

If Prestashop cannot fix it I will have to abandon all three of my Prestashop sites and find a cart that works for the uk.

Please Prestashop - fix the uk zip code issue. Stop releasing wonderful new versions - get the basic software working first!

I am not a programmer, but surely someone involved with Prestashop is and can fix this?

Latest message:

PayPal response:TIMESTAMP -> 2015-01-21T08:24:53ZL_ERRORCODE0 -> 10730L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Shipping Address Postal Code EmptyL_LONGMESSAGE0 -> The field Shipping Address Postal Code is requiredL_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

Of course, the alternative is to stop using Paypal. Maybe Paypal programmers have an interest in finding a fix?

It is highly unlikely that Prestashop developers are even listening to your thread.  And certainly Paypal themselves are not.

So the error is saying that the postal code is required, and that error is coming directly from Paypal, not Prestashop or the Paypal USA module.  The Paypal USA module is also not responsible for determining which address require postal codes, this is for the shopping cart to determine.

Now I am not a UK resident, so I don't know all the possible permutations for addresses and postal codes.  In the USA, every address requires a zip code.

So my first question is, why is Paypal expecting a postal code for this address?  My suggestion would be to work with a developer to alter your checkout process so that the postal code field shows up under the correct conditions.  Don't rely or wait on Prestashop to address this.  Even if they do eventually address this, you would be forced to upgrade your store for that code anyway, something you may or may not want to do.

Some suggestions

1) Be complex about this, research all the possible permutations, and then apply those rules to addresses during checkout.

2) Be simplistic about it.  Change postal code so that it is not required for UK, but that it appears as an optional field if the country is UK.  You could also consider placing a note next to the postal code field, that gives clear and concise instruction to the customer about providing it.

3) You might look into some modules/services that perform address validations.  This would help normalize the address provided by the customer, and could help in determining and enforcing when an address requires a postal code.  Something similar to this, but of course you would need one for Prestashop

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/usps-address-verification.html

Hi Bellini13

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

It seems that Paypal in the uk will not process payments unless a zip code is provided.

I have already tried your simplistic approach - I have tried making zip code compulsory and also optional. Whichever I choose, I still get the same checkout error with Paypal.

Prestashop is not producing a zip code field at checkout consistently. It must do sometimes because two thirds of orders are successful. 

I already paid developers £500 last year to fix a Paypal problem. I am only a small business and cannot afford to invest any more money in Paypal solutions.

I don't know how to place a note next to the zip code field, but even if I did, customers are saying that the zip code field at checkout is just not there at all.

It is really more of a Prestashop problem - I will see if I can find an address validation module for Prestashop.

I have the same problem with the address. It is not PayPal problem.

For some (still unknown) reason Prestashop hides the Zipcode field, with CSS class "unvisible".

I tried to locate the source of the problem, it 's difficult for me.

I can 't find a setting for the Required property, though it correctly should be required for credible post delivery.

Help is needed!!!

I think I found the problem (if it is the same as this post' s).

Blame the default/embended theme "default-bootstrap".

Go to [root]/themes/default-bootstrap/ and edit file address.tpl Line 101. Delete the class "unvisible". Clear the theme' s cache.

Before

<div class="required postcode form-group unvisible">
After

<div class="required postcode form-group">

Have in mind that you have to remember if/when you upgrade Prestashop to check if you need to correct it again, since this theme is part os Prestashop.

I forgot to mention my version (1.6.0.11)

Good luck (we all need it, since Prestashop team is so absent in the forum...)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think I found the problem (if it is the same as this post' s).

Blame the default/embended theme "default-bootstrap".

Go to [root]/themes/default-bootstrap/ and edit file address.tpl Line 101. Delete the class "unvisible". Clear the theme' s cache.

Before

<div class="required postcode form-group unvisible">

After

<div class="required postcode form-group">

Have in mind that you have to remember if/when you upgrade Prestashop to check if you need to correct it again, since this theme is part os Prestashop.

I forgot to mention my version (1.6.0.11)

Good luck (we all need it, since Prestashop team is so absent in the forum...)

Zip code is always hidden by default.  After the page is displayed, and the country has been determined, then Prestashop will show the zip code if that Country requires zip codes.

So the first thing you should do is ensure that your Country is configured to require zip codes.  Have you done this?

i have the same problem 1.6.0.9 this is what paypal said, but am not sure how to do this.

I had a detailed check on the error log files and I did few test runs to find out the issue.

It appears that postal code is not passed from your website to PayPal page. Hence the transaction could not be processed and it shows fatal error message.

Kindly have an option to get the postal code of the buyers during account creation step and also during the checkout process. Please contact your web developer to assist with this step on the website end.

There is no issue with the PayPal plugin or on your PayPal account. Kindly contact your web developer to send all the required information on the account creation page and checkout page.

Kindly check the screen shot below and see the step 2 where postal code is required. Please do let me know once done so that I could check it from my end too.

Localisation  / Countries /  

Zip/postal code format (leave this blank) Paypal works it out and the order is processed successfully. 

I know there is a star there so it looks like you have to enter something, but this worked for me. 

Customers can still enter there postcode when creating an account and works fine.

Edited by [email protected] (see edit history)

This is a typical email from a customer - received today

"Hi there, I've just created an account and would like to make an order, but unfortunately I seem unable to save my address. I get the error: A Zip/Postal code is required. But there is no field for the postcode. Help please?"

Looking in the forum, it seems there are seven different formats of uk postcode, so I cannot enter a template for a standard uk postcode on the configuration page. I have to leave it blank. On the configuration page it says this is ok, but maybe this is the root of the problem?

The problem should be on your account form. Did you changed something on code or desgin ?

Which is your shop URL in order that we can see what is going on by account creation ? If customer cannot save Postal Code, surely paypal will give you the same error.