Costumer IP Address in the Order

JosefPrado

Hi,

In order to facilitate de disputes between us and the credit card operators and payment gateways like PayPal and PagSeguro, it would be nice to have the costumer IP Address recorded in the order and visible in the order details page.

Is that possible?

This would greatly increase de reliability of our information when proving that the user did place the order he is saying that he did not place.

Regards,

Josef Prado

The easiest way would be to add it to the confirmation email you get from each order, you could also store it in the database, but that would require making quite a few changes.

The user's IP address is a part of the $_SERVER variable, you can get it using $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

You can just add that to the confirmation email in the mailalerts module.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In order to be able to provide legal proof in case of a Government or legal request, we need to have the user IP adress to proof that he was the person who made the purchase, and more than this, we need to proof that he acepted the Terms of Use of our website.

As far I understand, The only way we can have this is:

1) To have a proof that he acepted the Terms of Use we need to have inside the customer registry the IP address, date and time, that he had when acepted the Terms of Use. (In the database)

2) To have a proof that he actually placed the order, we need to have the IP Adress that the user have at the moment of the purchase inside the order details. (in the database)

This will provide us a documentation that can be used in case that the justice or government request us any proof of "who made the purchase" and will provide us also data for investigating frauds.

Regards,

Josef Prado

• 2 months later...

Hi,
tomerg3 can you please show me an example of how can I add the customer's IP variable $_SERVER[‘REMOTE_ADDR’] to the confirmation email in the mailalerts module? (i don't have any coding experience)
I wonder if it can also be included in the "Send to a friend" mails and the "Referral Programm" so that no abuse can occur (or at least the receiver can see the IP of the real sender) using these features by spammers,flooders etc.
thanx in advance

• 4 weeks later...

It's not as simple as just adding the IP on the order creation since most orders are created by call-backs from payment gateways like paypal, in these cases, you would only store Paypals IP.
The IP needs to be stored on the cart object somehow, and then linked to the order.

• 3 months later...

orderiplog.php in line 38
$query = 'INSERT INTO `'._DB_PREFIX_.'oil_order_ip_log` VALUES('.$params['cart']->id.',"'.$this->l('IP Address').': '.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].'")';
I told
This code can be used in the payment module.
examle
'.$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"].'

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...