Memcached and MariaDB

Hi, firstly I initially posted my question in the wrong section so haven't had any responses:

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/388400-memcached-and-mariadb/

(Admin - please can you delete the above or put a forward to this thread and close it? Thx in advance.)

Okay, my shop is working and speed isn't too bad (it's offline though so can't give you a link.).

Now, I'd really appreciate someone helping me to clarify a few things...

I believe that Memcached is incompatible with MariaDB. True or False?

I believe that APC doesn't work on PHP 5.5. True or False?

I believe that XCache doesn't work on Apache2. True or False?

Now, I've enabled OPCache in php.ini and understand that there's nothing else I need to do within Prestashop, etc to make it work. My site is quick anyway so can't tell if this makes a difference. 

Apart from that should I turn on the caching option in Prestashop and select "File System" or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks

Nick

The support for memcached and mariadb is unclear. It is supposed to be in the 10.1 alpha, but it is not mentioned in the change logs. Plus, it is an alpha version, so I would not run it in production. 

If you want to use memcached, I would recommend using it with percona, it does have compatibility with it. Plus percona is on the same level in performance stats as mariadb.

APC does work with php 5.5, I have used it. But the lack of development is making me move to optimizer in the future, a stable update has not been released in a couple of years.

Xcache does work with apache 2, http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/Faq

Don't use the file system cache with prestashop, it is slow.

Well Dh42, you have rocked my world because I got most of my facts wrong!

I'm on a single server setup so rather than moving away from MariaDb, should I just wait and see how that pans out? Am I missing out on much with my single server setup?

Since I've now enabled OPcache is there any need for me to mess around with APC, Xcache or even Memcache? Are they mutually exclusive anyway?

I was just surprised that OPcache didn't need enabling in Prestashop like the others.

Cheers

Nick

I honestly have not looked real indepth with the Opcode caching using optimizer with php 5.5. So I am unclear in what is actually cached. I know using APC with PrestaShop that there are two ways it works. You can enable APC on the server and it will cache the code, but if you enable APC in the backend it will actually cache some variables too. I would imagine that Optimizer is the same way, but I am thinking if it is PrestaShop lacks support for caching those variables. At the same time I am not 100% sure exactly how optimizer works, so take that with a grain of salt. 

As for enabling another Opcode cache, I don't think it would help anything, it might actually cause errors since it would have two competing caches, or not work at all and make you chose between using one or the other.

As for the single server set up, it really comes down to walking through the code and transactions to see where the issues are. I don't think there would be much of a gain using percona and memcached together, but it really depends what kind of gain you are wanting. I do have it running on a few sites and it does help, but we are replicating multiple read nodes at the same time on high memory instances.

I would suggest installing new relic on your server and monitoring the transaction times then you can see where your failings are. This morning I was looking through a site that has come to a crawl after enabling a couple modules and making some changes to see where things were bottle necking. This is how the transactions look,  http://screencast.com/t/Qmzs6Wub Notice that the Avalara php file is a fast loading file, but look at the transactions, the overrides it is using are hitting the database constantly for tax related queries. It is killing the site. Those are the kinds of things you ccan profile out with new relic to see where your speed issues come from. 

Brilliant, I'll definitely install that. My site isn't live yet so with just me accessing it everything seems very quick. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to keep it that way.

Perhaps the added tweaks to make OPcache work even more effectively will come with future PS upgrades but for now everything seems fast enough just the way it is :)

Thanks for your help!

No problem. You can always load test it using load impact or similar and view the transaction reports of the site under load. They are very different from a site that is not loaded down normally. 

good luck and happy selling

• 8 months later...