Force lower case PHP for subcategories in top/side menu

Hi. I try to find the right place to edit the top and side menu (for categories). I was given category- and product data with upper case only. I'd like to apply lower case with php (by modifying some template file or some kind of overrides), and then capitalize first letter using CSS. The theme is a copy of the default theme (PS 1.6.0.9). 

In modules > blocktopmenu there are some templates. But I'd like to know if this can be done using some overrides to make module updates run smoother later. If not - where are the menu items for the (child) categories rendered? Which template do I edit?

I guess I will need to edit the categories_block_left as well.

A clever solution would be to make the modification affect most instances of child category names in frontend. Like subcategories in the center column, blocklayered nav, etc...

As a last resort I might look into a jquery solution to this. That might make things easier when updating later.

As you might have guessed I am pretty new to Prestashop.

Edited by me-and-prestashop (see edit history)

Instead of forcing your server or your visitor's browser to handle all these conversions on every single page visit/refresh, wouldn't it be better to make these conversions only once at the source?

If you are working with CSV files, you could for example check the excellent Notepad++ editor which has many plugins for text manipulation (I think the TextFX plugin would be suitable for this job)...

@parsifal:
Yes, of course. But this is what the shop owner's data is like at the moment and the data is being used other places as well. An Excel or CSV conversion must be done on every product update – so that category associations match existing categories.

I will probably end up with a jquery solution - to avoid changing templates to much. After all - this is a temporary solution until the source data is improved by the shop owner. I am a Mac user, but your tips can be very usefull for others. Thanks.

@tuk66:
CSS capitalize won't work on all uppercase source I think.

Edited by me-and-prestashop (see edit history)