Will Prestashop support webp image format ?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Install Google Pagespeed on your server. It will automate WebP and so much more. The big plus is that it will do the job for all your web sites regardless of software used.

While this is a great module and I would recommend using it if you have the possibility to do so, there are several downsides to using it out-of-the-box: first and foremost in this threads context, it does not create webp images that will be stored on the filesystem, but rather it creates them on the fly, every time a visitor needs an image resource. What this does, essentially, is lowering bandwidth requirements at the expense of increased CPU and memory usage on the server side.

Hence it is a trade-off that may or may not be worth it depending on your configuration. This is not a problem if you use my module - either standalone or in conjunction with the pagespeed module for apache/nginx, as in this case the webp images will be fetched from the filesystem instead of being recompressed on the fly - thereby lowering the bandwidth requirements and putting no additional strain on the CPU and memory resources.

Furthermore, if you are on e.g. a shared hosting and your hosting provider does not allow you to use the pagespeed module for apache/nginx, you are dead in the water.

Edited by Later42 (see edit history)

I'm sure you have a great module, but all of Google page speed output is put into a cache. The cache size is adjustable. Once optimized, images are cached until they expire.

Hey Bill, I've been working to implement this, thought you might find interesting.

http://adaptive-images.com/

There is issue with getting this hack to work with 'freindly url's...doh

works great for non-friendly url's and have on private subdomain....hired apache person to resolve but he could not even get as far as I did. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...