[SOLVED] Problem Uploading Downloadable Files Exceeding 14MB

I'm currently building an online store and I'm going to be offering downloadable files. Currently in the downloadble files box it says that I have a 100MB max upload limit with my hosting provider. I called them and had it set to that recently. When I try to upload files that exceed 14MB it gives me a "big error".

How can I correctly upload downloadable files of a bigger size? I've tried every solution I could find in the forums and nothing seems to work.

Thanks!:)

Thanks for the help!

Coincidentally I found the solution minutes before your post. Apparently with my host there are two PHP settings that they have to modify:

upload_max_filesize = 100M
post_max_size = 100M

Post max size was the missing part. Once they made the changes it still didn't work. Then I added the php.ini file to the root directory and that did that trick

Thanks again!
-Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up on this "solved" problem regarding file upload sizes and the rather vague "big error" with the admin when trying to attach a downloadable file to a product --

My current settings with my global php.ini file at usr/local/lib/php.ini on my server are as follows:

upload_max_filesize = 128M

post_max_size = 128M

If my file size is 50 mbs., why would I get a "big error" when the settings are set at a GREATER value of 128 megs?

I am currently waiting for my hosting vendor to set the php.ini file to 512M per the earlier postings on this thread, and will report back later.

Thanks for any insight here --

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I've been testing various e-carts and I ran into the same problem, but I could only upload files UNDER 2mb. which made it virtually useless for selling downloadables. I contacted my host provider and they sead that because PHP caused problems with files over that size they put this arbitrary limit on the uploadable files using PHP. Their suggestion at the time was to upload using FTP, but the problem with that was that e-carts did not recognize the file in it's native format. While testing OPENCART, I found that there was a module that auto-detected files uploaded through FTP & converted them to PHP; therefore the files were then recognized in the OpenCart program and worked just fine, regardless of size. One could upload as many files as one wanted. I HOWEVER>>> Personally like Prestashop MUCH better than any other E-Cart solution I've seen out there, EXCEPT for this ONE issue. If some PHP Expert could create a module similar to the one mentioned above for Prestashop, this program would be AWSOME!! Sadly, I guess I'll have to go with opencart UNTIL someone can resolve the uploading limit problem with PHP. Some sort of Auto-Detect program would be great!

Try adding the following line right before the readfile() call in get-file.php line #106

ob_end_flush()

The current code is trying to load the file you upload into memory, and most shared server have about 30mb for you to use, this code tells the file in charge of the upload to not load it into memory.

I have also posted this in another similar thread.

someone posted a work around for this which works out nice for me because I have so many large files to upload. I can now upload all the files in batch over night while asleep:

1. create a product as usual.
2. upload a small .txt file.
3. go to your downloads folder and record the name of the file you uploaded and make note of which product it corresponds to.
4. keep adding new products and recording the corresponding long coded name that is generated in the download folder and make sure you know which product is associated with which file name.
5. once you have finished creating all of your downloadable products, upload directly to the download folder the actual files you will be selling with user friendly names so you know which is which.
6. rename the files with the code generated names relative to the product.

This completely bypasses any PHP/server restrictions and takes care of you having to wait, in sequence, for each file to upload via the admin tool.

good luck -- drumslist.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I tried the method of uploading a small file then replacing it with the big file. I also changed the php.ini configurations so that it would allow bigger files. Still, I cannot get the file to download correctly. When I click the link to download in the product info section of the administrative panel, It says file is not found. However, when I switch the file back to the small file, it downloads fine. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have bought you file module and it makes it easier to add large products.

But it doesnt fix the URL so its possible to download large products.

How do I add the fix to 1.3.3 ?

I have tried to add the line: ob_end_flush() just above the line: readfile($file);

But then im getting an error :(

• 5 years later...