Modules in so many hooks... is this necessary? does it takes downloading speed?

Hello everybody,

prestashop comes out of the box with many modules hooked in places that to me (please correct me if I am wrong) are hooked in way too many places, like:

post-794866-0-74561300-1407333154_thumb.jpg

in this snapshot can be seen so many things on the header that then theyre not,

I managed to already unhooked some modules without any changes in the front office what made me think why prestashop placed them there.. 

Do these unnecessary hooks take downloading speed?

Why are they there?

I hope someone can spread some knowledge here...

• Like 1

Hello

Good question, if any module is hooked to various positions how does the browser know not to show it, or is it shown only if content is added.

This will be interesting to find out

+1 for the question Anthony

Paul

• Like 1

Well, as you can see in the snapshots, I unhook several modules and the shop in question is working totally fine... so this is what made me wonder after realizing that they weren´t necessary... the site in question: www.goodpsychologists.com

So...do these unnecessary hooks take downloading speed?

Thank you everybody for sharing your knowledge..

Hello vekia

I do not wish to be rude and highjack Anthony's topic but, what about the PayPal logo, this is hooked to a few places, does the browser go to the server every time you load a page with this logo on.

If so, perhaps it would be good to be able to use the payment page for the logo to appear

Paul

if logo is stored in browser cache - browser will not load it again from server.

moreover apache has got feature called mod_expires

in simple words - it allows to define "cache" life time, it means, that if logo is cached with one year lifetime of "expiry" date

browser will "download" logo after that time, until then browser will load it (logo) from own cache

caution, just because you 'think' all is well, unless you check every facet of your front office (back office as well) then you may later encounter issue that you do not relate back to removing hook.  then you spend countless time trying to resolve, some never resolve and give up the ship.

if it's not broken then don't fix it. 

more importantly do NOT load modules/themes whose reputation is not stellar...

believe me now, thank me later

• Like 2

Hello vekia

and my apologies to Anthony as he is the owner of this topic but:

In PS 1.6 their is Facebook in the footer and if you have a 1000 followers does the browser make 1000 requests to the server to show these images so extending the page load time.

I, like many end users check how long it takes for their Index page to load, I recently found all the Facebook like images were slowing my site down by seconds not milliseconds as the browser had to look for each image.

So, perhaps it's not good to use social networking sites on the Home page

Paul

• Like 1

Hello vekia

In PS 1.6 their is Facebook in the footer and if you have a 1000 followers does the browser make 1000 requests to the server to show these images so extending the page load time.

note that facebook block with fans doesn't display all fans :) it displays only several of them :) there will not be 1000 requests, but usally several requests equal to number of "faces" displayed in the like box. It can affect website? well, it affects a little, as everything that is visible for customer eye on your website

I do believe you El Patrón, next time I´ll  be more conservative...

Now really and seriously, after unhooking at least 6 modules from different places, the site is fine from any angle I can see and after sometime... so, I´m still puzzled as to why my site works fine..

what modules you unhooked? al of them from screens you attached?

Hello vekia

I, like many end users check how long it takes for their Index page to load, I recently found all the Facebook like images were slowing my site down by seconds not milliseconds as the browser had to look for each image.

So, perhaps it's not good to use social networking sites on the Home page

Paul

Good facebook´s module point Paulito..

Edited by Anthony DeLa Riviere (see edit history)

Well thank you Paulito from bringing up an interesting point with facebook module, and thanks Vekia for sharing you knowledge with us.

I unhooked  theme configurator from footer, and cms from header to name something..I forgot the rest because it has been a while (prove that everything is fine after sometime..)  

By looking at the prestashop demo I can see soooooo many hooks that I wonder why its home page goes so fast... Some strange like cms in header..header has over 30 modules!!!

Edited by Anthony DeLa Riviere (see edit history)

in blockcms hook header adds css file that contains styles of block

but don't worry, it's a part of old releases of prestashop

and this hook is installed due to the "backward" compability, i think

in ps 1.6 you can remove it.

• Like 1

caution, just because you 'think' all is well, unless you check every facet of your front office (back office as well) then you may later encounter issue that you do not relate back to removing hook.  then you spend countless time trying to resolve, some never resolve and give up the ship.

if it's not broken then don't fix it. 

more importantly do NOT load modules/themes whose reputation is not stellar...

believe me now, thank me later

So, better don´t mess around too much unless it is needed....

Thank you Vekia, El Patrón and Paulito for sharing your knowledge and thoughts.