Database swap problems.

Hiya everyone, probably something silly i am missing but....

I had a 1.5.3 version that i upgraded to 1.6

Then i did a fresh install of 1.6 and am having problems importing the database from the upgraded version into the clean install

I changed the ps_shop_url once i imported the database but when i try to access my site i get a 503 error.

I turned on error reporting and it says  theme unavailable

What have i missed fellas ?????

EDIT: Also i cannot login to the back office with this database....employee or password incorrect???

Edited by mickeyboy1 (see edit history)

Hiya bellini13 and thanks for your reply,

We made alot of changes when we first made our shop, before we actually read about which files you should edit which wont get affected when you need to upgrade.

Our fault on that part.

Our site seems to be running slow and we are not sure if its something we may have changed or whether it is the server we are hosted with.

As we are looking into changing our server in the near future i thought it might be best if we start with a fresh updated install then just import the database, then all we would need to do was to change the theme to suit our needs.

BUT if we had made a change to a file somewhere that is causing it to run slow then it is pointless paying for another server to host our site.

So what i did was make a copy of our site and database (testsite)

Then upgraded the testsite to version 1.6

I then assumed i could import that database into a fresh install which would just leave us the theme to sort out.

Is this not possible then ???

thanks mb