Change theme directory name

Hello,

Quick question, when a page on the website is right clicked > view source it lists all of the CSS with the theme directory name.

I would like to change the theme directory to the name of our shop. I have tried changing the theme name in backoffice but this does not seem to change anything.

In 1.5 in when installing a theme you could name the directory, in 1.6 it does not seem to be possible to do this.

you have to change directory of theme on your FTP service.

open /themes/ directory and change, for example, /default/ to /mythemename/

and in back office under preferences > themes select this 'new' theme 

• 1 month later...

you have to change directory of theme on your FTP service.

open /themes/ directory and change, for example, /default/ to /mythemename/

and in back office under preferences > themes select this 'new' theme 

A extra small action in your solution is:

- Go to Advanced Setting at the theme needed to be changed (folder and name)

- select default-bootstrap directory. Save it. At this step, site will be down and break.

- Use ftp to change the folder as you wish.

- in BO, go to Advanced Setting again, now we will see the new folder directory to select. Select that "new" directory. Change theme name on top. Save it.

Tadda. Now open the source code, you will see all the css/js...located in your new directory as you wish.

Doing what vekia say, is not wrong, but make site broken.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to do it, is renaming the folder theme using a FTP manager, and editing directly the database with phpmyadmin or another db administrator: changing the value of the folder column in your current theme / id row.

With this method there is no problems if you are working for example with multiple stores, because basically you're using the same previous theme but with another folder assigned, ie the theme is not changed in the configuration as with the above ones.

Regards

Edited by DannetStudio (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another way to do it, is renaming the folder theme using a FTP manager, and editing directly the database with phpmyadmin or another db administrator: changing the value of the folder column in your current theme / id row.

With this method there is no problems if you are working for example with multiple stores, because basically you're using the same previous theme but with another folder assigned, ie the theme is not changed in the configuration as with the above ones.

Regards

That is great, the other methods did not result in good results. By changing the directory over FTP and via phpmyadmin worked perfectly, with no issues. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

That is great, the other methods did not result in good results. By changing the directory over FTP and via phpmyadmin worked perfectly, with no issues. Thank you!

Regards

Hi,

What is meant by changing the value of the folder column - where is the folder column  in phpmyadmin? What is id row??

• Like 1

In phpmyadmin find the table named ps_theme it will list the themes which are installed. Then change the directory name of the theme you wish to change and edit that field.

Here is an example, in this case the installed theme is Warehouse, so you would change the directory name to whatever you wish.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RCP90 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Thanks for your response. I tried this and my site ended up with a 500 error - page cannot be found

Are you using 1.6.0.9? I have just tested the method which also gives 500 error, but this method worked fine in previous verisons. If you rename to what it was originally the error will remove.

I will try to find out why this happens on 1.6.0.9

No, I just tested again on 3 stores and works fine, although on 1.6.0.9 it works differently and will deactivate all new themes modules once it is renamed. Didn't do that on previous version.

but you should always back up DB and store.