Server Performance Warning - excessive number of files

Hi Guys,

Few day ago I recieved Server Performance Warning from my hosting company - Bluehost.
They said that my site is using an excessive number of files (over 300000) stored on my Bluehost account and that this is causing performance problems on my website as well as for other customers that are on this server.

At the time I had cloned my 1.5 site to /test/ subfolder to test upgrade to 1.6 and I thought it will be OK when I finish testing my upgrade, however when I deleted one shop (old 1.5, since I moved my /test/ to public_html) I still have excessive number of files, arround 225000.

I was wondering is this too much files, since I had 177000 files on my local copy of current site?

Are there maybe any old images with prestashop 1.5 formats or any other files that 1.6 dont use that I could delete to reduce file count.

Also, I contacted WebHostingBuzz - they dont have file count limitations for the same price I am paying to Bluehost.

Should I upgrade on Bluehost, or move my site to another hosting or is there a way to reduce my file count under 200000.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vedran

as long as you will use caching - there is no way to limit number of created files.

shop without cache it's not a good idea - it will affect your store performance.

of course you can check configuration for example for useles pictures, also remove useles templates from your theme dir. in some cases you can limit also number of files by removing unused modules

if i were you i will not move to other host, and at the moment - also dont upgrade hosting account.

225000 is not so much files, and you still have got some "margin" to 300000 files.

one of shop that i manage use about 1 000 000 files at the moment :D

it's on ssd drive so shop is pretty fast even with large files in background

Usually most files are pictures. Prestashop makes a lot of different formats for each picture (see Preferences->Images). If you don't use the Prestashop default theme or you have upgraded from 1.4 you will find that a lot of those formats are never used. So you can disable them and then regenerate your pictures - deleting the old ones.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your answers. Actually I have to reduce my file count below 200000. I deleted unused themes, modules. The thing is that I dont know how to differentiate which images I can delete and which I cant delete.

I am thinking about buying Express Cache module, will it influence my file count?

Anyone with similar experience on Bluehost, am I risking getting my site down by Bluehost?

Regards,

Vedran

With each image you can right click it and look at the source code. If you have nice urls they will be a bit changed (like "http://www.shop.coml/645-home/product.jpg") but that shouldn't be a problem. 

So you can make an inventory of the formats that are present in your shop. And then you can get rid of the rest. If you might have overlooked some seldom used format you can always re-enable it. 

Hi Guys,

These were two exhausting days. On thursday bluehost deactivated my account due to excessive file count. I had option to upgrade to their Pro plan, where file count limit is 300000 files for $24,90/mo or to get another hosting company.
So after a small research I decided to go to WebHostingBuzz, as they dont have file count restrictions, they are very responsive and polite.

I checked few companies which Nemo1 wrote on his blog but eventually decided for WebHostingBuzz, since designhaus42 recommends them and they let good first impression on me.

Automatic transfer failed, bluehosts daily backups are not exatly daily backups, they dont contatin current /public_html/ files, so I had to transfer my site by my self. That went well, without problems.

Thank you all for replies, I hope I made a good choice.

Cheers  :) 

Regards,

Vedran

• 1 year later...

hi Guy, 

Just do like below (for cache clearing), i reduced from 2.5 M to only 80 K now.

In the directory where you installed PrestaShop, delete all of the content in the following directories except for the index.php file:

• img/tmp
  • cache/smarty/cache
  • cache/smarty/compile
Edited by thuanr (see edit history)
  • Like 1