1.5.3.1 to 1.5.6.2 upgrading issues

Hi

I have a Prestashop store on a development URL running 1.5.3.1 which is working perfectly. I decided it would be a good idea to install a fresh version of the latest Prestashop (1.5.6.2) before going live so I was up to date.

The fresh install goes fine, but when it comes to connecting the database to the latest version, it gives me the following error on the FO : Oops, something went wrong. Try to refresh this page or feel free to contact us if the problem persists. I can get to the BO, but it will not let me log in. I know the username and password I am using is correct, but it tells me that "The Employee does not exist, or the password provided is incorrect".

I have double checked the database for any errors I can think of, but I can't see any problems. I have also double checked the config/settings.inc.php file and everything seems to be correct.

Is there any reason why a database built with 1.5.3.1 wouldn't work with 1.5.6.2?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by thadunno (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply bellini13. This would be why it doesn't work then. Just tried to do an upgrade and it seems to have worked, it knocked the menu bar off a bit but that was easy enough to sort.

So I'm guessing that you have to perform every update this way?

Cheers for the help!