Another topic about the speed of Prestashop

HavanA

With the configuration described below I still notice that several pages take a long time to load. I get the feeling that the database is slowing my shop down to produce a worse TTFB. I have already used the ‘repair’ and ‘optimize’ function in phpMyAdmin which seems to have a modest positive effect. With debugging on there are no errors displayed in my shop. There are only a couple of things left to do according to Gtmetrix, but the TTFB is still an issue sometimes. Although once cached it is fast.

Now there are several topics on this forum regarding database issues. Some of them are unanswered, some old and maybe even obsolete for 1.5.6.2.

My question is: is this because of my server (configuration), is it my database? Which steps should I take now?

Server info: vps, INIZ.com

Total processors: 4

GenuineIntel Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz

Speed 1994.941 MHz | Cache 20480 KB

RAM 5GB 

OpenVZ  VPS    CentOs6 x64

Installed APC, NginX, Varnish

All the caching, CCC etc enabled in backoffice

Prestashop 1.5.6.2 default theme

www.inktoutlet.nl/inkoutlet

appr. 350 products now in 1300 categories, this will (max.) double over time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by HavanA (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone?

...In the mean time I achieved a nice gain at the client side by implementing stuff from here and here and at Unixy.net they have optimized my Varnish and Nginx, but still the ttfb is sometimes too long, although the scores at GTmetrix are OK now. When pages are accessed for the first time, it can take up to 6-7 seconds to load.

What is causing this slow response?

Well, I will keep on posting the progression (even if there is no progression in the time to first byte). Now Mysql tuner was installed and the database was further optimized. I can't really tell the diference.

I still keep wondering why the server is "waiting" so long.

post-741991-0-56041700-1394440221_thumb.jpg

Now I found a post that may possibly be a solution, but maybe forum members can give some input?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10938682/how-to-reduce-server-wait-time  (I refer to the answer with 17 points).

• Like 1

Update: APC seemed to have some issues and I contacted the host also; they had some io related issues that were fixed, and since than the speed increased. Although sometimes the site is still slow, overall it is now a quite acceptable speed.

Update: one step further. I moved my website to another VPS, changed Varnish for Litespeed and yes, now it is faster. I had a vps (openvz virtualization) at www.openvz.io (from www.iniz.com) and moved it to www.myvirtualserver.de (KVM virtualization).

We are going to further optimize it, but I have good hopes that at the end, the loading times will be anywhere between "acceptable" and "fast".

www.inktoutlet.nl/inkoutlet

any comments or ideas still welcome!

Done.

Now it is fast (enough)! 

Blood, sweat and almost tears... 

And the funny thing is (I almost forgot) that I switched from Magento to Prestashop because Magento is heavy (heavier). I never expected this road to optimization to such a pain in the ....  But it's done! :-D

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/czlVLX/http://www.inktoutlet.nl/inkoutlet/

• Like 1

Hi HavanA

I share your frustration: I had just similar problems from day one (PS 1.5.5.0).

Sometimes loading time was quick, sometimes slooowwww -> even died to white page.

Database was optimized, better server space was upgraded (done partially by hosting company and some by myself sofar as my skills were enough.) Hosting company almost blamed on Prestashop it's heavy and demands a lot of more page loadings compared to another webshop clients. 

Nothing above helped until i **ssed off enough and changed to another hosting company. All problems disappeared at once.

btw: just being curious, what grades do you get with GTmetrix?

-cleaner

Hi cleaner,

Thanks for your reaction. True, the choice of hosting has proven to be an important factor, although cheap hosting does not always mean it is worse (and vice versa). In my case it was a process of trial and error and that is what other Prestashop owners will expierence when they are struggeling with the speed of their website. I am happy now with my 15eu/month VPS:

http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.inktoutlet.nl/fdYQ4AkP

above here the latest test of this morning at GTMetrix.

cheers!

Great score also! Maybe indeed those last few things to optimize.

You can make the sprites with spriteme.org, but it takes some work to implement them...

In this post I got rid of the "defer parsing javascript"  http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/267943-prestashop-loading-way-too-slow/?p=1580575

And when you click on the links given under the "optimze images" at GT, you can easily download those optimized images and upload them via ftp.

• 4 months later...

:angry:   Oh boy...

Last week my site has finally gone live (there were issues with the payment module and it took the developer of the payment module took months to get it right). All the time performance was great with loading times for the home page in a second, and 2-3 (sometimes 4) seconds for other pages. Even after going live the performance was great, there was basicly no change in server or so.

But now I am back to square one. And I believe it is some caching issue because strangely in the featured home products on the home page, in some products it displays images that I had deleted a few months ago. So how can these be displayed again????

What can cause a good performing Prestashop to suddenly underperform??

the site: www.inkoutlet.nl

Anyone? Any tips how to fix my shop?

There are so many people struggeling with the performance of Prestashop, and I had it fixed. It was working almost perfect and a lot of energy was put in it to come that far. I just can't believe it is all gone now. 

Which company or module can help me out? What is the best I can do now?

Anyone? Any tips how to fix my shop?

There are so many people struggeling with the performance of Prestashop, and I had it fixed. It was working almost perfect and a lot of energy was put in it to come that far. I just can't believe it is all gone now. 

Which company or module can help me out? What is the best I can do now?

you still load JavaScript top.

this is 'horrible' for above the fold page render.

Why you miss this?  Because website speed checks (ping/gmetrix) count your single cached .js file as one file,, when in fact it contains 'many'  .js file.

You can resolve this by moving (if not already) to 1.6 and have compliant template/modules that will allow you to load java bottom.

If this is not an option, then see JavaPro.  zoom zoom

also, and fogive me if already mentioned here or done elsewhere.

the very first thing to do is profile your shop

config/defines.inc.php

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', false);

set to true

visit slow page(s)

scroll to bottom of each page

find  the slow area

(then look things that seem bottle neck) 

we must have fastest native shop before we look at upgrading hosting...

Thanks El Patron,

I saw your module earlier, I am considering it once other problems are solved. There is someting else also wrong with my prestashop.

The following message is displayed is a slow page: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/admin/inktoutlet.nl/classes/cache/CacheApc.php on line 50  

That seems to be an issue with APC and I do not know how to fix it. I am trying to find an expert that can help me fix it for a reasonable price. Does anyone have a suggestion?

That is way too much for apc, I would recommend 128mb. As for php, I don't know what to recommend, are you running a multi-thread interpreter? If so, you have to take into account the max number of threads with the memory. 

I honestly do not know if litespeed supports it or not. I am guessing it supports keeping threads alive because you are using apc with it. I think you might have to find someone that knows a lot about litespeed. 

From the link you sent, it looks like your database server is running slow. The queries are taking too long. 

also, and fogive me if already mentioned here or done elsewhere.

the very first thing to do is profile your shop

config/defines.inc.php

define('_PS_DEBUG_PROFILING_', false);

set to true

visit slow page(s)

scroll to bottom of each page

find  the slow area

(then look things that seem bottle neck) 

we must have fastest native shop before we look at upgrading hosting...

did you also follow this advice?

Best one identifies inherent issue.  This is such important information and if you profile to collect data can after adding feature see what if any impacts.  Certainly the most important tool in shop managers box.

note:  when running profiler,  all visitors front/back will see this, so take snap shot of page(s) and set to false.

quick look

go to modules-->positions-->the delay is in displayHeader...

see all modules hooked to displayHeader

now debug...for example disable a module hooked here, then check speed again.

08.13.2014-10.41.png
http://screencast.com/t/J6nsnFpw

Thank you very much DH42 and El Patron for all your reactions. 

I have a staggering 41 modules hooked to the header  :wacko:

A lot of these modules I don't even understand why they are even there?

Is it safe to press the "delete" button for those modules? I guess if needed, I could hook them back, right?

post-741991-0-91861200-1407952859_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much DH42 and El Patron for all your reactions. 

I have a staggering 41 modules hooked to the header  :wacko:

A lot of these modules I don't even understand why they are even there?

Is it safe to press the "delete" button for those modules? I guess if needed, I could hook them back, right?

No, don't delete especially if you don't know what they do.

that hook is used 'mostly' for add css and js files.  but there maybe be other reasons (doubtful)

you can 'disable' (assuming module checks when it's disabled if has override because disable does not uninstall override).

back up back up back up

and fix your crap..jajajaja

The backup from a few days ago is now restored and most pages are fast again. Because of this topic, I now realize that there may be something else wrong with some pages. But there is one thing I do not understand. All these pages are basically built the same, with the same header. Only the content in the middle changes, right? So I am trying to understand why in the page http://www.inkoutlet.nl/pasfoto-maken-groningen/   the generation is taking more time than other pages (that have the same header, same columns, same footer) ?