Another "going live" question?

Hello.....I've done some searching but not finding the right posts/links to the procedure.

I am on a hosted test sub-domain right now with a site I have built to replace a similar live site, which is the main domain. I want to take the current live site offline and replace it with the new PS version.

I actually want to switch places, taking my new PS site live, and taking my current live site offline.

If this is confusing, it's really confusing to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks.........

the easiest thing: point your domain to actual directory and disable test subdomain.

if you've got an access to host configuration, you can do it quickly with domain settings in apache  files (optionally bind or other dns software)

Here is what I know now. My current live site is a domain hosted by Yahoo (www.theurbanfarm.com). My PS build site (presta.theurbanfarm.com) is a subdomain hosted by Inmotion. I want the PS site to replace the Yahoo so I can be finished with Yahoo, but I don't want it to say (presta.theurbanfarm). I want it to be the new (theurbanfarm)

Does this help? I know it's confusing. It seems like it should just be a matter of pointing things in the right direction.

I spent a long time with Inmotion and they suggested I use Softaculous to "clone" presta.myshop.com into the main directory. But the clone mechanism is absent from my "Current Installations" page. 

I just simply want to make presta.myshop.com a live site as myshop.com. How is this done?

Hello....I don't have the clone icon next to my Current Installation. I've been told by Inmotion that I need to update from 1.5.6 to 1.5.6.1 before I can clone my subdomain in order to make it the main live domain. I've got my site where I want it using the default with css mods. Will I mess the site up by upgrading? I just have to click the recycle icon next to Current Installations.

Hello....I don't have the clone icon next to my Current Installation. I've been told by Inmotion that I need to update from 1.5.6 to 1.5.6.1 before I can clone my subdomain in order to make it the main live domain. I've got my site where I want it using the default with css mods. Will I mess the site up by upgrading? I just have to click the recycle icon next to Current Installations.

Hi....? 

Yeah, I didn't know you knew where to look because you stated you were very confused, and some terminology was over your head. That's why I sent you the link. I also didn't know that InMotion mentioned that you need to upgrade. Thanks for making that clear.

The only way to know if it will mess up your site without, well, messing up your site would be to test it. You should duplicate your live store onto a localhost or another domain/subdomain and run the upgrade. 

It shouldn't mess your site up but there may be small changes you'll notice. Testing the upgrade is best practice so you know beforehand of any issues before you touch your live store.

If you need assistance with this let us know and we'll point you in the right direction. 

cheers,

I went ahead and upgraded since my test site isn't live. If something went wrong it wouldn't be a disaster. But I don't see any changes so far. Nevertheless, I still don't have a clone button in my Inmotion/Softaculous Cpanel. I just sent a email ticket to Inmotion to see what's up.

From Inmotion: "Softaculous only provides the cloning ability for certain software and this does not yet include PrestaShop"  So I can't clone.

"the easiest thing: point your domain to actual directory and disable test subdomain." Can you be more specific on how to do this? I know I'm close to being able to do this. 

-"actual directory".....what/where?

OK.....Inmotion can't help. Neither can Softaculous. I'm about ready to just pay someone to take it live. I know it'll take all of 15 mins if you know what you're doing. But I've just wasted days trying to figure out how to do this. Domains, subdomains, DNS, pointing to directories, IP addresses.......as a non-techie, I'm just not able to connect the terminology with the steps to executing the process.

Hey UrbanFarmer, 

You can post on the Job Offer forum to have someone help you.

InMotion should be able to help if you ask a different question.

Ask them, How do I move my website located on the subdomain (insert URL) onto my main domain (insert the URL that you want the store to be on) 

I would post on the Job Offer section, and also ask InMotion. 

Here is the Job Offer post, http://www.prestashop.com/forums/forum/235-job-offers/

Hi......."Ask them, How do I move my website located on the subdomain (insert URL) onto my main domain (insert the URL that you want the store to be on) "

Inmotion replied, "You'll want to move the files from their sub-folder to the root public_html folder."

It appears to me that the files for my subdomain are already in the public_html folder. Any thoughts on this?