Whenever I try to add a category whether it be a root category or another, the category shows successful creation but doesnt show up under categories.  I've now tried it four times, used different browesers, cleared cookies, etc. I can see the categories when I go to monitoring but no where else.  I am using 1.5.6.1.

I tried that but they still do not show up in categories, only monitoring.

Hi, I assume 'monitoring' means the back office.

Need a bit more info please. The categories you're expecting to see - where don't they show up?  Categories block?  Footer?  Top horizontal menu?  Breadcrumbs?  Some or all of these?  Does it apply to subcategories too?  Can you see any categories at all?

Could you provide your URL, a screenshot after you select Catalog->Categories in back office and the names of some categories missing from your website.

Thanks, Dave

Thank you Dave.  Any category I manually input or import do not show up in the backoffice or store.  You can create a category and it says succesful, but does not show when you click on the categories link.  There is nothing.  In the front office (store), it says no categories and "BLOG CATEGORIES" above.  The only place I can actually tell a category has been created is by going to monitoring in back office.  I also dont see a "home" category in the parent category section.

post-624034-0-75651600-1388462771_thumb.jpg

post-624034-0-43081900-1388462780_thumb.jpg

I'm having the exact same problem. Everything is not showing up where it should be but is in 'monitoring'. So, in summary;

• Having dropped my tables and started with a backup that I know was working, if I do not enter the Home Category manually, I get a PHP error thrown letting me know that there is a problem.
  • Categories input manually or by import shows as successful but the categories do not show up anywhere in the back office other than Catalog:Monitoring. My understanding is that they should show up when I am in the back office Catalog:Categories.
  • When I "View My Shop", the results are even more puzzling. One of the categories, which is available in the 'root' dropdown menu, does not show up at all on the horizontal menu bar.
  • No categories are showing up, at all, in the footer area.

I've attached some files that will perhaps give you perspective and help in finding a quick resolve of this issue.

post-710307-0-76059800-1388606025_thumb.png

post-710307-0-19128100-1388606033_thumb.png

post-710307-0-70868800-1388606034_thumb.png

post-710307-0-76406700-1388606036_thumb.png

post-710307-0-76348900-1388606038_thumb.png

Hi beroldb,

In a nutshell, I would say that the integrity of your database has been lost. What Nemo1 has highlighted is certainly a problem, and there are perhaps others.

The standard installation has a special category called 'Root' with id_category = 1 & id_parent = 0; and a category called 'Home' with id_category = 2 and id_parent = 1. Neither of these are present.

You do have category 'Home' with id_category = 3 and id_parent = 1, but there is no category with id_category = 1.

You also have all categories and subcategories with id between 7 and 24 set as root categories, which is not normal.

It looks like you are only setting up categories and have not added any products yet. if that's the case, and given the number of categories you have, I would replace any tables beginning with 'ps_category' with the equivalents generated by a fresh install of your version of PS, then just key your categories in from scratch.

Before that, if you want to try a long shot, use phpMyadmin to set id_parent to 0 for your category 'Home', then follow the advice in this thread:

Cheers, Dave