Progress Update?

Whilst the idea of providing a progress status for the various features of v. 1.6 is to be welcomed, I question the current usefulness of it - see http://www.prestashop.com/en/progress-1-6

There has been no update at all since 18 November, and 3 of the features were 99% complete in September (one on September 12nd (sic)).

Please either keep it up to date or scrap it.

Thanks, Dave

• Like 3

We're doing our best to develop the 1.6 version so it is the best major version PrestaShop has ever released. If the Progress Page appears to be stalling, I can assure you that we're working very hard on the software are leaving nothing to chance!

Please either keep it up to date or scrap it.

Well, just forget about the link and act like we scraped it ;)

We're doing our best to develop the 1.6 version so it is the best major version PrestaShop has ever released. If the Progress Page appears to be stalling, I can assure you that we're working very hard on the software are leaving nothing to chance!

Well, just forget about the link and act like we scraped it ;)

Xavier, I've no doubt that the team is busting a gut to get 1.6 ready asap and with as few defects as possible.

And conceptually, the progress page is a good way to provide information to users about how things are going. Unfortunately, by not maintaining the information so that it is credible, it raises more questions about the true progress towards 1.6.

As the saying goes, under promise and over deliver.

Many thanks we dont have patience!! :D

ps3z, patience is definitely a virtue in this case!

Better to wait a bit longer for a release where the quality is as high as possible than to have something that is rushed out - it will only come back to bite you later.  ^_^

• Like 1

What's happening for such a major release is that we juggle with 3 variables: quality, functional scope and release date. You get this kind of equation :

Quality + Functional scope + Date = X

(X is a constant)

During the finalization of a project like the release of the final stable version of PrestaShop 1.6, these variables fluctuate. They do, albeit the project is tightly managed.

Obviously, we care very veeery much about the Quality of V1.6. So that variable can't actually change. So when the functional scope changes, even just a bit, the date changes too. It's maths :)

However, this equation for the next major release is the most stable PrestaShop has ever known, and the potential delay will be shorter than for the previous major release.

Thank you all for contributing!

• Like 1

Obviously, we care very veeery much about the Quality of V1.6. So that variable can't actually change. So when the functional scope changes, even just a bit, the date changes too. It's maths :)

Well, the quality can change. The quality of the Alpha will be less that the quality of the Beta will be less than the quality of the final release (at least, that's the way it should work :) ). I suspect you mean that the quality target for the final release shouldn't change, which is fair enough.

I would have thought that the functional scope for 1.6 ought to be more or less fixed by now. Allowing scope creep will not only affect the date, it will increase the risk of adverse effects on your final release quality too.

It's encouraging to hear that the overall stability looks good - we all hope it stays that way.

Thanks, Dave

• 3 weeks later...