How to diagnose incomplete/blank homepage?

I'm looking for how to check whats going wrong or whats not occuring. I want to solve this myself but am lacking much knowledge of prestashop.

I'm setting up my first prestashop page and have hit a fairly major problem. We're running the latest verion from the web. The site was working fine, very few changes had been made and we're still on the default template. We've been loading in families and articles and I was making some small changes disabling modules and moving things from right to left. Nothing major.

The list of articles was filling out when I tried to open the homepage and was met with the header with a link to view in mobile mode and the company logo... and nothing else.

I tried enabling _PS_MODE_DEV_ and found that we had some xcache related errors so I disabled all caching for the moment.

However the problem continues. I have _ps_mode_dev_ enabled but the page displays only a black bar in the header, with a link to the mobile layout, and the company logo

Mobile view works fine and I can browse around and view articles.

What can I do more to diagnose what has gone wrong. Could it be related to the hook changes I made to move the two default modules from the right to the left?

If this is the case then one possibility would be to import the hooks table (I'm assuming there is one at the moment) from another database. This is a more or less vanilla installation so the values should be the same. 

Thanks in advance

Ian

Edited by imurphy (see edit history)

sure, though there isn't a great deal to see: http://tienda.eguiber.es

Given there isn't much actually configured on this site I was debating just trashing it and starting again. Unfortunately I didn't take any backups either - since it isn't in production, why take backups? Now I know better :-)

Edited by imurphy (see edit history)

I was looking at doing that before trashing the installation. I just happen to have the hook_module table open on 2 db's at this moment, comparing their contents. They're almost the same. I could easily export from one and reimport to the other

bizarre, no effect whatsoever.

What I did was to manually compare the hook_module table to one in another db which contains the same as a test installation I did a few weeks back.

There were quite a lot of extra rows in the hook_module table, which I don't understand as the only change I made to the hooks was to move two modules from the right to the left. One module had a different Id so I took that into account. Not sure how that could have happened.

in any case, nothing changed on the front end.

Obviously something is failing to render at some point - is there any way to work out what?