Cannot complete installation - create settings.inc file

I am trying to install Prestahop 1.5.5 (the latest version) to my domain, but I encounter an error on the last step of the installation page.

After I input all my database 'correct' values, it tries to install, but comes up with an error note saying 'create settings.inc file'

What does this mean? how can I install Prestahop?

I have downloaded the Prestashop file and loaded it onto my database about 5 times now, (each time a new download and copy reloaded) used different browsers, different computers, but I'm still stuck?

Can anyone explain to me how I can get by this? Hopefully you can explain it simply to me?

Hi P-P,

Can you edit your php.ini file (in public_html, or in your shop root)

if so, check if

; Safe Mode
;
safe_mode = Off

is turned OFF

Otherwise, check permissions for /config folder. should be 755. it that doesn't work, try 777 during installation.

Also see if inside the config folder already is a file setting.inc.php which has permissions set to something other than 644/755/777. If so, change to 755 during installation (Don't forget to put it to 644 after installation, for security reasons)

My 2 cents,

pascal

I am had the same problem with 1.5.5 and pretty much gave up.  I had read some of the other forum comments on the subject and none seemed to fix my issue. 

I saw that 1.5.6 came just came out and gave it a shot with this version and am getting the same "Create settings.inc file" error, it does not even get beyond 0%.  I just tried changing the permissions as was suggested above.  Still nothing.

I looked for the php.ini file, but could not locate it.  I do not have public_html nor is it in my root folder.  Did I forget to create something?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I am had the same problem with 1.5.5 and pretty much gave up.  I had read some of the other forum comments on the subject and none seemed to fix my issue. 

I saw that 1.5.6 came just came out and gave it a shot with this version and am getting the same "Create settings.inc file" error, it does not even get beyond 0%.  I just tried changing the permissions as was suggested above.  Still nothing.

I looked for the php.ini file, but could not locate it.  I do not have public_html nor is it in my root folder.  Did I forget to create something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Some hosting providers do not give you access to this file. You would need to contact them to configure the settings and change permissions. 

This is purely a hosting server configuration and permissions issue. What does you host say about this? 

I have Godaddy shared hosting plan.  I talked to them and they said I can add the file myself.  So I did, created a php5.ini file with the safe mode off instructions listed in this thread.  I think it worked because when I looked at the phpinfo page, it does indicate safe mode as being off.  Using FileZilla, I have put the permissions to 755.

Still stuck at the same spot.  Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Todd

I got annoyed that I couldn't solve this and emailed my provider (one.com) to install it for me...after a few day I have a functioning Prestashop store...don't know what they did different, but they solved it! I suggest you all do the same...threaten them to move your domain elsewhere...and they will fix it for you :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have GoDaddy hosting, and have 4 PS shoppings working fine. 1.5.4.1; 1.5.5.0 and 1.5.6.0.

Now I'm trying to install a new one (1.5.6.0) at the same sharing hosting (where I already have 3 shopping working) and having that error about config.

I'm shure that database information is correct. I uploaded the files twice and still did not work.

I have GoDaddy hosting, and have 4 PS shoppings working fine. 1.5.4.1; 1.5.5.0 and 1.5.6.0.

Now I'm trying to install a new one (1.5.6.0) at the same sharing hosting (where I already have 3 shopping working) and having that error about config.

I'm shure that database information is correct. I uploaded the files twice and still did not work.

You should contact GoDaddy, they may have a limit to the number of domains on your account. If you already have a 1.5.6 store on your hosting providers server, another fresh install should be no different. That's why it's best to contact them directly to troubleshoot the issue. 

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• 1 year later...

Just in case someone still has this issue. I had to go to my cpanel. Then I located my sites public html file, which should be empty. I then went to my folder containing the prestashop download and compress files. I then uploaded files through cpanel into my site file folder. Once upload I extracted the files. After completing the extraction.Go to your site and start install process. Follow instruction and it should work.

Here is a video I found to get it to work: http://youtu.be/7dmbBLnKxx8