PS 1.5.5.0 Not sending emails

Ever since I've updated from 1.5.3 to 1.5.5.0 the email part has just been hit or miss. They always show up in the BO but they sometimes were sent to me and sometimes they weren't. Same with the new order email. 

I've been using the SMTP which has always worked fine in previous versions so I tried the PHP without success. The Send test email works though and I get the test email sent to me.

So tried uninstalling the Mail Alerts module and now nothing works at all. Here's what's going on.

I send an email via the Contact Us form. It says it sends successful. It shows up in the BO. I don't get the email sent to me and the customer isn't receiving the verification email.

I'm also not receiving notifications of new orders. I have it turned on to do so. 

Edit: I just did a test order and it doesn't seem like customers are getting emails either.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Edited by bside2234 (see edit history)

Hello Bside2234,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with emails being sent through PrestaShop.  I would stick with SMTP and then contact your current email host if possible to get more information. 

In general, when you have email issues, there is a clear log kept that will show where the email is failing.  That way, you can determine the failure point for the email.  If an email fails there will generally be a bounce (which is how email servers communicate email delivery problems).  

Make sure to provide your email host all of the relevant information that you placed in your settings.  And make sure to triple-check your settings.  I can tell you from experience, that even the smallest mistake in the settings will cause issue with mail delivery. 

I currently work at a hosting company and it's fairly easy for me to pull up email logs and see what's happening as long as I have the appropriate information about how an email's being sent.  So, if you can send that information to your email host provider, then they can hopefully tell you or at least show your log entries so that you can get information about what's happening with your Prestashop customer emails.

I hope that helps! If you want me to help you determine more about your email settings, please provide information about your settings.  Remember, though that these posts are public, so if you give any information, we would suggest that you change it later for security purposes.

Regards,

Arnel C.

Thanks Arnel,

I really think the problem is in Prestashop. It worked perfectly fine before the update. I didn't change anything.

I am really confused as to what is going on. It seems really random as to when emails are sent or not.

I can test the contact form one minute and it won't send anything. The next minute it works just fine.

Same with receiving order notifications. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't.

The one thing that doesn't seem to work all the time is the emails the customers get.

Why I think it's a PS problem is the emails I don't receive aren't showing up in the emails when I go to my hosting webmail. I could be completely wrong though. I will contact my hosting and see if they can do anything and thank you for the suggestion.

You're welcome! 

At the very least, you should be able to see if emails are being sent or not.  If some of them are, then it will be a little tough to figure out, but if NOTHING is going, then you can at least see if the problem is with something in PrestaShop or something to do with your host. 

Thanks Arnel,

I really think the problem is in Prestashop. It worked perfectly fine before the update. I didn't change anything.

I am really confused as to what is going on. It seems really random as to when emails are sent or not.

I can test the contact form one minute and it won't send anything. The next minute it works just fine.

Same with receiving order notifications. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't.

The one thing that doesn't seem to work all the time is the emails the customers get.

Why I think it's a PS problem is the emails I don't receive aren't showing up in the emails when I go to my hosting webmail. I could be completely wrong though. I will contact my hosting and see if they can do anything and thank you for the suggestion.

What did you update from? (from the start) ? I can check what changes were made to see if we can figure it out.

My store has been updated from 1.4.0 at each new update all the way to 1.5.5.0.

Basically my store has been up to date the whole time since 1.4.0 where I did a fresh install.

I do think I missed something like 1.5.4 though. I don't remember ever updating to that. I think I was at 1.5.3 when I updated to

The strange thing is I do get an error SOMETIMES when sending the test email. I enter the password for my email and all is good again. I'll write down the error next time I see it.

I entered the password because that field was blank and I didn't know if it should be or not.

Just tried the test email again and I didn't get the error and I received the test email. The error was something about too many something sent or something like that. Should the password be empty even if you enter something or should it show dots? Mine is empty.

Version 2.4

Yes, I uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I also tried disableing it and reenableing it to see if that made any difference. It didn't.

In the module I have Receive a notification when an order is placed enabled, I have the out of stock notification enabled and I have my email address in the email address box.

The Contact Us form now seems to send both the email to me and the confirmation to the customer.

I'm going to test what emails get sent for orders right now.

Edit: I just sent an order and I received the order notification and the customer emails went to that email address.

Thank you. This might have fixed it. I'll keep checking it though as it may still be sporadic. As of now everything is working though.

Just checked the back office. There was an email there that didn't get sent to me. I tested the Contact Us form and it sent both the customers verification and my copy. I wonder what's going on. It's random. I hate having emails both places. I wouldn't mind the BO one but I send a lot of emails to people that I have templates for that contain links and other info. 

Ok. Contact form stopped working this morning all together. Went to see if the test email gave me an error and it did. Here it is:

Error: Please check your configuration
There was a problem reading line 1 of an SMTP response. The response so far was:
[]. It appears the connection has died without saying goodbye to us! Too many emails in one go perhaps? (fsockopen: #0)

Edit:

Went to Classes/Mail.php

Changed:

$connection->setTimeout(4);

To:

$connection->setTimeout(9);

Changed:

$smtp->setTimeout(5);

To:

$smtp->setTimeout(10);

This made the error go away. Just for reference, when I was getting the error sending the test email, I would only get the error every other time if I push the test button, then push it again, and again, and again.

Every other test email would send successfully.

Now all of the test emails send successfully. I tested out the Contact form and that seemed to work also.

Hopefully this is it and it will work consistently now. Hope there isn't any problems changing these timeout values. 

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure to have a backup and use this dev version. Let me know if it works. 

This worked for me...I was having several issues, and *knocking wood* the new module seems to be functioning properly...except I can't get the "From" email to change no matter how many settings I check!

Thanks for the download...

So far I've fixed my issue with the Contact form not sending the email but all other emails seem to sporadically work. Seems like when

I disable then enable the mail alerts module, it works for a little while then stops. Then I have to do it all over again. The latest thing I did was replace the mail.php file in classes folder. That sent all the customers emails but I didn't receive an order notification email.

I take it back. Contact form stopped sending emails today and I'm getting this error when I do the test email:

Error: Please check your configuration
There was a problem reading line 1 of an SMTP response. The response so far was:
[]. It appears the connection has died without saying goodbye to us! Too many emails in one go perhaps? (fsockopen: #0)

Edit:

I switched over to the PHP to give it a try and got the test email working and the Contact form working. Just need to test an order now.

Double Edit: As of now PHP seems to be working for me completely. I get all emails and customer gets all emails. Hope it stays working.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having more or less the same problem but i did not update anything. I have 1.5.6 and everything was working fine, but since today it has been random.

I am not using SMTP, did not even try it before, and all was working

Then i was making some tests and noticed that the e-mails stopped arriving. Did more tests, creating orders, accounts, and nothing.

Then i went to the bathroom and back, tested again and it worked....

It is really strange.

In the past I could never get the PHP mail to work so I always used the SMTP which worked perfectly fine for me until recently. Since I was having so many SMTP mail issues, I tried the PHP mail and it works all of a sudden. Since I changed to the PHP mail all the emails have been working. I don't know what's going on. I don't change anything ever that has to do with mail settings. As long as one of them works though, I'm happy. The other thing I noticed is with the PHP mail activated, the Contact Us form sends really fast. When I had it on SMTP it took forever to send/get to the mail was sent successful page. I think I was having some kind of "timeout" issues because it was taking so long. I changed a few settings (see previous posts) and that helped a little bit but it was still random. Just the odds of me getting the emails were a little better. :)

You can try replacing the Mailalerts with the file Ben attached a few posts up. That helped for a little bit but it went back to randomness. Might help you. Seems like if I messed with it, it would fix it for a little bit but after a while would go back to randomness.

I'm using World Site Host. I've been using them for years without any issues until recently. Wonder if they changed something recently that would affect this?

Edit: Changed back to SMTP and that's working fine now. It's like I have to change back and forth every week to have it work.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about that. Looks like a configuration error! :)

Are you using the SMTP or PHP mail? I think you probably need to give as much info as you can to get some help.

My email works for a day or two and then stops. I have to change back and forth between the PHP and SMTP every few days to keep it working.

Not sure about that. Looks like a configuration error! :)

Are you using the SMTP or PHP mail? I think you probably need to give as much info as you can to get some help.

My email works for a day or two and then stops. I have to change back and forth between the PHP and SMTP every few days to keep it working.

i am using smtp

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem in my prestashop 1.5.6.0, but i can send 4/5 mails and then return error. I change PHP mode to SMTP and I can send more 4/5 emails and return error again.

In PHP mode return "Sending failed using mail() as PHP's default mail() function returned boolean FALSE.".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello bside2234

Have your problem solved ?

I read the whole thread. it sounds funny sometimes (Don't mind). It seems like black white, white black. Have you tried to find out the reason why is it happening ? I do have some problem like the same but mine is different. No mail is sent after order confirmation. 

Good Luck

No. Haven't figured it out. It's really random at this point. After updating to the latest PS it is a little better as in it doesn't happen every day now. Seems like at least once a week now I have to go in and disable/enable the Mail Alerts module to get it working again.

Never really had a mail issue until the update to 5.5.0

• 2 months later...

No. Haven't figured it out. It's really random at this point. After updating to the latest PS it is a little better as in it doesn't happen every day now. Seems like at least once a week now I have to go in and disable/enable the Mail Alerts module to get it working again.

Never really had a mail issue until the update to 5.5.0

Hey man!!! I was having the same problem and it was really bothering me wayyyy too much!!!

Have you checked if you have a directory for every language inside the /mails directory?

i.e. My site runs both in spanish and english so inside /mails i have 2 directories /mails/en and /mails/es and problem solved.

I aslo changed some files from a friends installation, but i'm not sure that made much of a difference, but i'll double check and re-post

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I've had a similar issue a while back.. Sometimes the test emails were going out, sometimes not.. I was also using the SMTP mailing option. 

My problem was related to ARP cache issue.  My Prestashop server was a separate server than the SMTP server but were residing in a same network zone (we are hosting all of our servers).  We discovered that pinging the SMTP server from my Prestashop server was giving weird results: replying.. and then failing, and then replying.. in a loop just like that.. over and over... 

By doing more research, we found out that we had to create ARP tables on each server as something in that particular network zone was screwing up the MAC addresses of the servers.  So the IP for my SMTP server was not always listed with the correct MAC address, so of course, the server was unreacheable...

I'm probably not explaining this 100% as I'm not really a network gal.. but this can give you an idea on how to continue your troubleshooting.

Hope this helps someone.

• 1 month later...

after many days attempt following steps worked for me:

previously my password for email address @gmail was different then my admin password using the same email address. when i changed both passwords as similar, then it worked for me...