Security concern

Penge58

I don't know if this is the right forum but I have had problem installing a couple of modules lately, comes up with an error.   I contact the developer and what I get back is a mail asking for username and password for my back office and what is more important, the username and password to my ftp account at my provider.

The reason should be that they want to help me install the module.

Is this common and is this really safe ???

By accessing my server they would be able to put in whatever shit they want there if they are not trusted.

Your comments ??

Petter

well, 

if something doesn't work well this is the only way to fix it.

If you don't want to give them your account and password, you can create for them employee account with granted permissions only to modules section.

if they are trusted developers (for example certified PS agency) you don't have to worry :)

well, 

if something doesn't work well this is the only way to fix it.

If you don't want to give them your account and password, you can create for them employee account with granted permissions only to modules section.

if they are trusted developers (for example certified PS agency) you don't have to worry :)

Okay

I just wanted to ask if this was a normal way of doint this.

Other way of solving  problem would be to ask one to check this and this like you guys do here in the support forum.

Well I can at least give them access to my Prestashop but I would have to think about access to my server.

I did that on the first occasion but have recieved no service so far.

For simple things the check this and that works, but for more complicated problems we ask people to pm us access to their shops. You can always change the information once they fix the issue too. 

Thank you.

Its good to know that this is a standard way to do this.

Yes I can change the password but in my case I have to do this via my provider.

Okay...no problem.