Default language not changing after upgrade

Bojann

Hello, I have recently upgraded to PrestaShop 1.5.5.0 but I have a problem. My default language is US even though I have set the default language in the admin panel to Serbian. Localization - Localization - Confiugarion - Default language: Serbian

I tried changing it back to US then again to RS but the problem stays. I tought my cookies and cache made the problem but I tried accessing it from a brand new computer that hasn't been to my site and still I get the english language as default.

Only way to set Serbian as a start language is to disable US. But, that is not OK for me since I need it on US language too.

Is there any solution to this? Any help is appreceated.

Edited by Bojann (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Yes, thanks El Patron for that tip which I did on both Safari and Firefox. I also switched the friendly URL off and back on again as I think you recommended in another thread. In Safari, it works but Firefox somehow likes to stick to English as the default. Who knows, maybe it is looking at my location and makes the decision for me...

I have another translation-related problem: The translation from "item(s)" (next to the cart symbol and the amount) into German does not work. What shows up is what I believe Slovakian or Polish:  "položka (y)". It is a complete clean install and the only language added is German. The theme developer says that they do not change the default translation. Strange...

Yes, thanks El Patron for that tip which I did on both Safari and Firefox. I also switched the friendly URL off and back on again as I think you recommended in another thread. In Safari, it works but Firefox somehow likes to stick to English as the default. Who knows, maybe it is looking at my location and makes the decision for me...

I have another translation-related problem: The translation from "item(s)" (next to the cart symbol and the amount) into German does not work. What shows up is what I believe Slovakian or Polish:  "položka (y)". It is a complete clean install and the only language added is German. The theme developer says that they do not change the default translation. Strange...

what is your URL?

Yes, that is what shows up. But in German, depending on how it is translated, it should say "0 Artikel - CHF 0.00"  or "0 Stück(e) - CHF 0.00"

So, what I am trying to find is the translation field in Prestashop or the file in the database where this piece shows up.

Yes, that is what shows up. But in German, depending on how it is translated, it should say "0 Artikel - CHF 0.00"  or "0 Stück(e) - CHF 0.00"

So, what I am trying to find is the translation field in Prestashop or the file in the database where this piece shows up.

without looking at your back office...I can't say...

I like the look of you site though...mine is getting somewhat dated :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys! I have the same problem in my website. For me the prestashop default language option does not work because I want English is the default but it always appears in Spanish.

Awmawn did you finally discover how to sort it? I've been looking into the files but I can't find where the problem is.

It would be nice if you could help me.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

I also have the same problem with my Prestashop 1.5.6.0 version , want to set up my shop to Serbian default language but it keeps coming up with English, even if the store is set to be default as Serbian. No matter what browser, even tried from other computers too. Anyone figured out this yet?

Hi guys,

I also have the same problem with my Prestashop 1.5.6  version , want to set up my shop to Serbian default language but it keeps coming up with English, even if the store is set to be default as Serbian. No matter what browser, even tried from other computers too. Anyone figured out this yet?

1.5.6 will detect your browser language and if it's in your ps switch to that language...not always the default lang....so if you are using browsers with english language that is what you will get, english...

make sure to change your browser lang to serbian, clear cookies and test.

Vekia - Yes i have serbian translations 

El patron - Is there a way to switch this feature off so the ps does not detect the browsers language, in Serbia most of us use English based operating systems and also the same with the browsers, just that i have set my shop on a local Serbian domain i would like to set the shop to open in Serbian as default, and as an option to be able to change the language to English, this is becouse of SEO and some other reasons.

thanks for your help

Vekia - Yes i have serbian translations 

El patron - Is there a way to switch this feature off so the ps does not detect the browsers language, in Serbia most of us use English based operating systems and also the same with the browsers, just that i have set my shop on a local Serbian domain i would like to set the shop to open in Serbian as default, and as an option to be able to change the language to English, this is becouse of SEO and some other reasons.

thanks for your help

yes, you would need custom code for this.  you can find the function in classes/tools/Tools.php

see:  public static function setCookieLanguage

I don't put out untested 'hacks' to core.  This should be done using a class override rather than a in-file hack.

You can post the on the development forum if you need help modifying this function.

Personally, I would 'not' change it.  But then I'm a geo freak.  If the browser language is english, displaying in english is smart..

surte (luck)

yes, you would need custom code for this.  you can find the function in classes/tools/Tools.php

see:  public static function setCookieLanguage

I don't put out untested 'hacks' to core.  This should be done using a class override rather than a in-file hack.

You can post the on the development forum if you need help modifying this function.

Personally, I would 'not' change it.  But then I'm a geo freak.  If the browser language is english, displaying in english is smart..

surte (luck)

Thanks for dealing with this issue, i have found that function, except it is not in the classes/tools/tools.php ,its just in classes/tools.php

"

public static function setCookieLanguage($cookie = null)

"

I also would not like messing with the code becouse im not sure what would happen if someone from Hungary or Spain visits the website and their browser is set to Hungarian or Spanish, what would happen in that case, my website admin is not reachable anymore so i have to do the maintaince on my website for my own, what is not a big problem becouse prestashop is great and easy to use and customize, just that im not good with php and codes, ok the other good part is that i have learned a lot trying and changing things :)

And for the end ,you made me get worried with this part saying, untested hack to core and in-file hack, with the part saying you would not do that. Since you know better, and you know what you are saying and doing, im a bit confused and worried about what sould i do :)

Thanks for dealing with this issue, i have found that function, except it is not in the classes/tools/tools.php ,its just in classes/tools.php

"

public static function setCookieLanguage($cookie = null)

"

I also would not like messing with the code becouse im not sure what would happen if someone from Hungary or Spain visits the website and their browser is set to Hungarian or Spanish, what would happen in that case, my website admin is not reachable anymore so i have to do the maintaince on my website for my own, what is not a big problem becouse prestashop is great and easy to use and customize, just that im not good with php and codes, ok the other good part is that i have learned a lot trying and changing things :)

And for the end ,you made me get worried with this part saying, untested hack to core and in-file hack, with the part saying you would not do that. Since you know better, and you know what you are saying and doing, im a bit confused and worried about what sould i do :)

I would not change it...it's a good feature for your visitors.  It's not bad for SEO, well that I can think of.  It's important not to change things just to please the shop owner as there is a bigger picgture as to why ps now sets the language based on browser.  Which is the only logical way to do it.

I totaly undestand the logic of why this is implemented and should be used, but admins should have a way to shut this off. If I have set my default language to be Serbian, I wan't it to be serbian, not USA. As dandzii already said, here in Serbia, most people (even more than 95%) use english language on their OS and on Web browsers. Auto translating some site to US is not a good thing if Admin does not wan't that.

Edited by Bojann (see edit history)

I would not change it...it's a good feature for your visitors.  It's not bad for SEO, well that I can think of.  It's important not to change things just to please the shop owner as there is a bigger picgture as to why ps now sets the language based on browser.  Which is the only logical way to do it.

There is a point in that, i will keep it this way and after few weeks i will see how it works for me, the best way for me it would be to leave it like this and set the default language for Serbian only for Serbian visitors, but that would be too complicated i guess.

I totaly undestand the logic of why this is implemented and should be used, but admins should have a way to shut this off. If I have set my default language to be Serbian, I wan't it to be serbian, not USA. As dandzii already said, here in Serbia, most people (even more than 95%) use english language on their OS and on Web browsers. Auto translating some site to US is not a good thing if Admin does not wan't that.

All true, i agree with this too, and just to be clear the setting should be there not for those 95% or more becouse for me its funny to translate something to Serbian like for example Touchpad (that sounds ridiculous on Serbian) but sometimes you just have to, it is for those who are hard core serbians and beside serbian language dont speak any other language, and i wont judge them,i have met other nationalities where they dont and wont speak any other language except their own, and i have to respect that becouse im a merchant and selling is the only important thing for me.

yes, catering to the visitor is most important.  language/currency etc.  You can easily show the correct currency by country using the native geo localizaton and then setting the 'default' currency by country (under localization/countries).

The least amount of clicking to get the shop in proper view visitor, the better.

yes, catering to the visitor is most important.  language/currency etc.  You can easily show the correct currency by country using the native geo localizaton and then setting the 'default' currency by country (under localization/countries).

The least amount of clicking to get the shop in proper view visitor, the better.

True but the aditional problem in Serbia is that we attach or should i say talk about prices in EURO and then we look at the daily currency rate displaying then the price in DINAR (local currency) becouse it is forbidden to trade or sell anything legaly in EURO, and if you set the default currency in EURO becouse that is the price that never changes, then it is displayed like that even if we need to sell everything in DINAR but luckly the people are used to this :) , i know it sounds complicated and actually it is but thats the way it is :)

for Siberian visitors would you not want to display their currency?  this is simple to accomplish as I showed above.

ps is the best at geo localization (country level) of probably any cms  out there...I think this is because it was intiially developed for Europe where there are many countries close together.  localization is my fav thing to work with in ps

• Like 1

for Siberian visitors would you not want to display their currency?  this is simple to accomplish as I showed above.

ps is the best at geo localization (country level) of probably any cms  out there...I think this is because it was intiially developed for Europe where there are many countries close together.  localization is my fav thing to work with in ps

Hmmm, so you say i should just enable geo localization and it should work with ps just like that, and show the prices in local currency?

yes, enable geo localization, then you simply set the default currency by country....localization-->countries-->edit country

Ok i have enabled geo localization and downloaded that file that was needed to work, i have opened the .localization-->countrieslocalization-->countries-->edit country but now i have the problem that i have only two currency to choose from there Dinar or Euro and that is fine for EU countries but if i take Canada for example then what, and if i add another currency to the shop for example Canadian Dollar, then in the upper menu it will show and that can be a distraction for the local buyers.

just add CAD dollars...

you  should consider  adding the correct currency for every country you do business in, on my site as I only take paypal, but sell in every country, I've added every paypal accepted currency and set the country for their default currency.  I even wrote a smart pricing module so that I don't have bad endings to converted currency, i.e. .49/.99 etc.

and don't forget Russia is not a valid currency for PayPal...

just add CAD dollars...

you  should consider  adding the correct currency for every country you do business in, on my site as I only take paypal, but sell in every country, I've added every paypal accepted currency and set the country for their default currency.  I even wrote a smart pricing module so that I don't have bad endings to converted currency, i.e. .49/.99 etc.

and don't forget Russia is not a valid currency for PayPal...

Ok but if i add CAD dollars will that be visible to all or only to Canadians? I hope you understand my question, i mean if a serbian visitor or hungarian visitor visits the store will they also be able to see the CAD currency or only the Dinar and Euro as a currency?

Ok but if i add CAD dollars will that be visible to all or only to Canadians? I hope you understand my question, i mean if a serbian visitor or hungarian visitor visits the store will they also be able to see the CAD currency or only the Dinar and Euro as a currency?

if you leave the currency selector module enabled, they could switch to CAD but they should initially see their countries currency.  another alternative is to disable the currency selector module...

if you leave the currency selector module enabled, they could switch to CAD but they should initially see their countries currency.  another alternative is to disable the currency selector module...

I see in my case then it wont work, becouse as i told you, in serbia we think in EURO but have to pay in Dinar, so those two should be visible, but the default currency have to be EURO becouse every price is calculated in EURO just the payment is made in Dinar. But this geo localization just made my life easier, i have just opened Serbia in the coutry list and set up the Dinar as the visible default currency, even if the store default currency is EURO but the coutry visible default currency is DINAR this way i corrected one problem that was with the authorities becouse we should not use EURO at all for displaying prices. THANK YOU very much, this is GREAT.

Now i just need to figure out this Default language thing (and one more,that is related another topic) and it will be PERFECT!

You are great!!!!

make sure to consider using ccTLD by country, i.e. multistore sharing all products but geo targeted by url (ccTLD).  This will significantly increase your SEO.

Read and understand the following guidelines to avoid content penalty. 

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1347922?hl=en

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/62399?hl=en&ref_topic=2371325

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en

make sure to consider using ccTLD by country, i.e. multistore sharing all products but geo targeted by url (ccTLD).  This will significantly increase your SEO.

Read and understand the following guidelines to avoid content penalty. 

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/1347922?hl=en

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/62399?hl=en&ref_topic=2371325

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en

Oh well thank you but im not an expert, just a merchant whos administrator is not reachable anymore,so i have to do this stuff by my self what i dont mind becouse i have learned a lot in a few days :) I dont have a clue what is CCTLD by country , and i dont have a multistore, just one store with two languages Serbian/English.

well read and learn...this is strategy for selling in more than one country

I do, i do :) thank you very much in helping ,if you ever make a modul for this default language option, that could work just like this geolocation then let me know :) . that would be great if geolocation could have a default language option too ,like the default currency, it would resolve my problem immediately.