want to offer free shipping on single category only - cart rules or something else

Greetings All,

working on a the site www.halleminlures.com

They wish to offer free shipping on a single catergory of inventory items (hat tip: thanks El Patron)

I have configured a cart rule for that proper category. When that item is purchased i get the expected free shipping (yea)! However, when I add a subsequent item that is NOT supposed to get free shipping the cart shipping still remains free! If I add items to the cart without the free category I get the expected shipping charge; but, when I add a free shipping categorized item the cart rule applies free shipping :o

What do I need to do to fix that behavior? Add another cart rule, add some "if - then else" conditionals or something else?

thanks in advance for your input, -Rick

post-667717-0-06408800-1378511454_thumb.gif

• Like 1

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is how those cart rules work at the moment. Basically, when conditions are met, the discount is triggered no regardless of other products  :( You'll need a custom solution (like a voucher system, or core modifications/overrides)  to achieve this

Hi,

... You'll need a custom solution (like a voucher system, or core modifications/overrides)  to achieve this

Nemo1,

Thank you for your reply! Gee, I was hoping it would be as easy as enabling another rule and adjusting the cart rule priority (silly me) :mellow:

Do you (or does anyone else) know if a voucher rules are setup if once those conditions are met, the entire order gets free shipping or just the items with the voucher?

Or, do I need to add addtional conditions to the CartRule.php OR somewhere else?

if ($cart_rule['free_shipping'])

$cart_rule['id_discount_type'] = Discount::FREE_SHIPPING;

elseif ($cart_rule['reduction_percent'] > 0)

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions,  -Rick

• 2 months later...

Yeah it seems that any other item added to the cart with the free shipping voucher set to a category will give free shipping to all the other items in the cart also.

Looking to set free shipping for some items to some zones but if the customer adds another item to the cart then if charges the shipping for that item separately. 

Currently i think it is impossible. Unless of course we set the weight to zero and create a small incriment 0 grams to .000001 grams for our weight based shipping settings. But that requires some elaborate new zone settings to allow some zones and not others. As long as every other stock item has a weight over .00001 it should work for some people using custom weight based shipping,