Paypal sandbox + prestashop - very confusing setup

Hi - the shop is based in UK, so for testing using the sandbox, I believe I won't be able to use APIs (tell me if I'm wrong).

I have previously set up a test business merchant account for use in sandbox, which has worked well for other carts.

I am totally confused how to set up my test business merchant account within Prestashop. Can anyone tell me, simply, how its done.

I've got as far as enabling the Paypal module from payment gateways, from there I've read through documentation, but find it very confusing. Has anyone a simple explanation of what I need to do to get this test business merchant account working.

By the way, I only installed Prestashop a day ago, so all is up-to-date.

Many thanks

Edited by skylark167 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

If you're still following this thread, could you clarify some things? I want to test in a sandbox before going live. I already have a sandbox user name, password and signature. I know I need to select "Test (Sandbox)". But what do I put into the first field-- "PayPal Business Account"? Is this my "real" account user name (i.e., my real email address)? Or do I have to get this from somewhere on the developer site?

Also, is my understanding correct that by selecting "Test (sandbox)" and entering the sandbox credentials, the shopping cart should be able to accept payments which are made to the sandbox account? Do I need a sandbox customer account as well? I want to go to my web site (i.e., access the Front Office) from a browser as if I were a customer, make a purchase and pay via PayPal, but with everything done in the test environment. What PayPal account does the test customer use-- his "real" account? Or do I need to create another sandbox account for the fictitious customer?

You insight is greatly appreciated!

After you signup for the sandbox account, you need to log into the paypal sandbox and create a paypal seller account, and a paypal 'buyer' account.  The sandbox is a little virtual reality world, no one exists in it until you create them. 

Once they are created, use the paypal seller account as the "business account".  Use the "buyer" account when you checkout on the front office.

This URL should guide you on this.

http://www.webassist.com/tutorials/PayPal-Sandbox-for-testing

Thanks for the reply. I played around with the sandbox and now it makes sense. Yes, you were right-- it is really very simple.

For some reason I was thinking about it totally the wrong way (not surprising, after 12 hours setting up DNS, email hosting, writing my CMS pages, configuring PrestaShop, etc. I was really tired). I wrongly thought that merely using sandbox API credentials was what prevented any "real" transactions from occuring (but using "real" accounts). I thought the sandbox user ID was just a "signup" account to get the "special" sandbox credentials. Once I realized that you create both vendor and customer accounts and use these exclusively inside a "virtual" system, then it clicked. Now hopefully I can get it integrated with my site (not working yet-- payment succeeds but Prestashop does not record the transaction in the user's account. I want to first try a few things before asking for help with that).

Thanks again!

do you have your dev website password protected?

very recently I had an issue... again -> the order didn't updated for my development website.

The reason was that payment IPN couldn't connect to the presta paypal module because I had an .htpasswd created (restricting access for everyone else, including paypal server)

• 1 year later...

Can Anyone help me please? I have been trying to set-up PayPal USA/Canada module version 1.3.9 on Prestashop but when hit save settings it keeps returning INVALID CREDENTIALS message. I am very confused with this. I have the sand box account created and I retrieve all values for PayPal API setting from  this account. what should I enter for PayPal Business Account textbox. I have tried everything on this but nothing seems to be the valid credentials. can anyone share some light on this issue?.  There is not much documentation out there and the Sand Box PayPal website does not have a detailed and concise guideline.

Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...
Guest locen

Hi, i use prestashop 1.6.0.9 and paypal 3.10.8. Paypal is europe version
In sandbox mode i see "awaiting paypal payment." 
I make this test because after 17june paypal will update all security policies. If in sandbox mode I receive this status all will work fine? 

Guest locen

Ipn is not enabled. i use only API.

I transfered website, then i changed dns in pc file hosts to test it, then i test it in sandbox mode.

Edited by locen (see edit history)

you are missing the entire point of testing, you need to test that your server meets the new requirements, why are you testing this on your local pc?

also the module uses IPN, even though it is disabled in your paypal account.  This has been explained to you numerous times...  So you can't expect Paypal servers to contact your local pc...

Guest locen

i'm testing it in local because there are some problems with other modules, web agency will solve this for me..when all is ok website go online.

website is in new host space but i changed file host to view new website.

Edited by locen (see edit history)