Search function + server problems causing 500 internal server error

Hello people,

I have problem when several users are using search in the front end.

We did the test and invoke internal server error 500 by going to the website from 3 different PCs and using search.

This is server error log on the time when we did the test:

[Mon Jul 29 04:51:02 2013] [error] [client 79.101.158.71] SoftException in Application.cpp:641: Could not execute script "/home/dekom/public_html/index.php", referer: http://dekom.co.rs/sr/
[Mon Jul 29 04:51:02 2013] [error] [client 79.101.158.71] Caused by SystemException in API_Linux.cpp:469: execve() for program "/opt/php53/bin/php-cgi" failed: Resource temporarily unavailable, referer: http://dekom.co.rs/sr/
[Mon Jul 29 04:51:02 2013] [error] [client 79.101.158.71] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: http://dekom.co.rs/sr/

HostGator chat support technician told me that scrip is building a long queue of processes and that their fail safe limit is 25. What happens when we did this test is that fail safe value was broken and server reported an error.

When we tried this with some CMS pages like about us page, we didnt get the error at all.

I believe this has to do with some heavy SQL queries that are processing when users are searching for the products.

Can someone relate to this situation and maybe offer some suggestion?

Thank you.

Vekia, they dont because it is hosted on my reseller account which is considered as a shared server.

Also, you didnt get the error because you need several users to search the site at the same time, at least 3.

If 3 visitors do this it will break down the server and it will display this errror for all of them.

Regarding our coop, I will write to you later on today. Im at the field today, it is crazy 42 degrees outside :blink:

Im with the damn Hostgator support as I write this and probably for the 20th time in the past few days... <_<

No news for now.

Are you busy atm?

update:

From the HostGator told me that problem is not on their side. They told me that on the shared servers they have fail safe mechanism where if number of the processes which are invoked by the script go above 25 server reports 500 internal server error.

This is what happens here when 3+ visitors search the website at the same time.

Any suggestions?

I cant get anything else from them unfortunately.

Edited by Dolke (see edit history)

Hi to all.

With the help of a really nice HostGator support technician, I was able to narrow this problem with slow search functionality and internal server error issue that happens when 3+ visitors search for something in the forontend.

They told me that limit for shared account is 25 processes. This is the limit for all account that are on the shared hosting servers so they include resellers like me.

As I have several employees and several PCs in my company, almost all the time there are 3-5 opened email connections present on the server as they leave their email clients open. In that case I always have 5-7 processes running on my account.

When one person is searching for the products in the front end this value rises up to 15 processes. and when I have more of them it goes beyond 25 causing 500 error to occur.

So from all written above this is server side problem, but also rises a question why other scripts like joomla or wordpress doesnt us e so many processes like Prestashop uses? This is the answer that I got from HG admin on this matter:

Hello,
Thank you for contacting HostGator.
You asked for an investigation into the cause of the process limit for the account:  http://dekom.co.rs
The top 5 processes running when the account has been close to the process limit are:
   912 /opt/php53/bin/php-cgi /home/dekom/public_html/index.php
   139 imap [[email protected] 79.101.158.71]
 38 /usr/bin/php /home/dekom/public_html/index.php
 23 imap [[email protected] 109.93.213.86]
  3 /usr/bin/php /home/dekom/public_html/3dstari/index.php

So index.php is the source of this process queue building up when using search.

Is this Prestashop matter as well?

How to improve my search results speed and fix this 500 error problem but without changing the provider if possible of course.

Thanks

• 3 years later...