Prestashop horribly slow after upgrade to 1.5.4.1

I recently upgraded my web shop from 1.5.4.0 to 1.5.4.1 using the 1-click upgrade.

After the upgrade the site worked ok for a few days but since last week I am facing lot of problem as the site loads so dead slow that it takes almost a minute to load the pages.

In fact since last 2-3 days the site does not even load and out of 10 tries the page loads hardly 2 times and the remaining 8 times I get a server error (screenshot attached).

I checked with the hosting provider and there is no problem at all from their end.

Even the latency to the server is about 90ms when I ping my my site.

PLEASE HELP!

post-572356-0-74095400-1374954860_thumb.jpg

I restore the old database backup which I had taken before upgrading to 1.5.4.1.

The server error frequency seems to be reduced a bit.

But the site still tends to perform slow...

What can I do now?

Please help friends...

@bellini13, I just spoke to the hosting provider and they also ran a couple of diagnostics on their server and my account and have confirmed that the hosting server is is working fine without any problems.

However they said that there seems to be some problem with the application and asked me to specifically look at the below lines:

[Mon Jul 29 04:55:27 2013] [10925463] [fcgid:warn] [client 1.23.64.19:49317] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds

[Mon Jul 29 04:55:27 2013] [10925463] [core:error] [client 1.23.64.19:49317] End of script output before headers: index.php

I can download the Apache Logs and also the hosting Logs and upload/send it across if you need.

Request you to help me out because as of not the site seems to be down for most part of the day showing the same error...

PLEASE HELP!

OK... looks like there is some problem with the .htaccess which is in the root folder of the Prestashop installation folder (this is not the hosting .htaccess file)

I did a fresh setup of prestashop 1.5.4.1 in a new sub-folder called "pshop" and when I access this new site, it works fine (loading is bit slow though) but atleast it is working.

So I simply downloaded the .htaccess file from the "pshop" setup and the original installation (which is not working) and compared the files using "beyond compare" tool (provides side-by-side comparison) and found that the below additional code:

<IfModule mod_expires.c>

ExpiresActive On

ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"

ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"

ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"

ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 week"

ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"

</IfModule>

FileETag INode MTime Size

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>

<IfModule mod_filter.c>

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/javascript application/javascript application/x-javascript

</IfModule>

</IfModule>

so removed this part and replaced the .htaccess file with this code removed in the actual installation and the site seems to work for fraction of minutes and now again site is down.

someone, please help....

Edited by V-5 (see edit history)

V-5,

Checking your website, I see some little slowness when loading category-pages for the first time (about 6 seconds) but when re-visiting them, caching kicks in and it loads almost immediately. I'm using Chrome.

- Where exactly do you see the problems arise?

- What browser/Operating System do you use? Did you try to use another browser?

Edited by PascalVG (see edit history)
  • Like 1

the code that you removed from the .htaccess file does 2 things

1) it defines the caching for the various types of files on your website for client browser (images, javascript, css etc). For example, a gif file will remain in the client browser for 1 month.

Removing this will have an adverse effect on your website, since these file types may not be cached by the browser, and every page visit will need to serve them

2) File Compression. Similar to winzip and zip files. Certain files can be compressed by the server, and then uncompressed by the browser. This can also have an adverse effect on your website, since obviously smaller files can be delivered quicker than larger files.

This again goes back to your host. These are pretty standard settings, and if they are causing performance issues with your site, that means your host does not support them, or has a configuration issue.

• Like 1

@bellini13: The latest update is that I had to revert back the .htaccess and put in the code that I had removed...

As of now the site seems to be loading but is bit slow...

But the Internal Server Error still keeps coming randomly from time to time...

Is there anywhere/anything else I can check?

Also as mentioned in the earlier post... the hosting provider (GoDaddy tech support) mentioned that I should verify the below line in the error log as they think that could be causing some issue too...

[Mon Jul 29 04:55:27 2013] [10925463] [fcgid:warn] [client 1.23.64.19:49317] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 120 seconds

[Mon Jul 29 04:55:27 2013] [10925463] [core:error] [client 1.23.64.19:49317] End of script output before headers: index.php

I have the access to the error logs for both Apache and server logs...

do you want me to send you the latest copy or log for both if that can help identify?

they will need to provide you with more information. mod_fcgid is not a Prestashop process, it is a host process

I have the access to the error logs for both Apache and server logs...

do you want me to send you the latest copy or log for both if that can help identify?

no, i don't want to see them. You should be using the host that you pay to help identify and correct the issue

I have already spoken to GoDaddy (my hosting provider) technical support and they have confirmed that the problem is with the application code.

Actually I also agree with them because I have setup another instance of prestashop on the same hosting account under a different folder and that is working absolutely fine where as at the same time the primary site shows server error.

Primary setup: veelson5er.com/prestashop (the one having issues)

Testing setup: veelson5er.com/pshop/prestashop (working fine and fast)

As i said, it is pretty clear that the problem is with some specific file that is causing the problem in the primary setup and I am unable to trace the cause hence requesting for help...

I have already spoken to GoDaddy (my hosting provider) technical support and they have confirmed that the problem is with the application code.

Actually I also agree with them because I have setup another instance of prestashop on the same hosting account under a different folder and that is working absolutely fine where as at the same time the primary site shows server error.

Primary setup: veelson5er.com/prestashop (the one having issues)

Testing setup: veelson5er.com/pshop/prestashop (working fine and fast)

As i said, it is pretty clear that the problem is with some specific file that is causing the problem in the primary setup and I am unable to trace the cause hence requesting for help...

Hi

Just disable one module at a time compare from four your working site, it should work. I had the same problem.

Regards

Shegar

@V-5,

I am with GoDaddy and came across your post.

It has been a few days since your last post. Did @shegar's suggestion help you in locating what the cause may have been?

If not and your still having some issues, feel free to reply or send me a private message.