[solved] Configuring blockcart Location

Something in the coding of blockcart requires it to be located in

<div id="header">

and freak out when I try to put it in just

<header>

I'm re-doing the HTML of my theme to add HTML5 semantics, so I'd really like to be able to make that change. I'm frustrated because this is the only module that's given me trouble with it.

Anything past the HTML and CSS is beyond my coding skill; can anyone make this change for me? Or would it be a huge project?

Okay I guess I didn't explain what I was asking well.

I realize there's some required styling and/or code somewhere applied to the ID "header," and that I can get it back by simply putting "id="header"" back in the code.

However, <header id="header"> is obnoxiously redundant. I'd like to find that styling and apply it to the header ELEMENT instead of the ID "header" so I can use simply <header> in the HTML.

The problem is that I can't find it.

This is really strange. I'm pretty sure It's not in global.css.

On http://www.elliscamera.com, I have one theme with an unmodified global.css. On the other, I deleted global.css and started from scratch and have no header or #header definitions. Both themes work with or without "id=header" in the HTML.

On the new test site http://www.elliscamera.com/presta, I haven't modified anything. Cartblock will not work without "id=header" in the HTML.

The only difference is that on the first site, I've deleted a bunch of modules (and their .tpl and .css files) that I didn't need. Whatever was screwing it up must've been in one of them.

It works, though, so I'm happy for now. If I ever figure out exactly where the issue is, I'll update this thread in case anyone in the future needs to know.

Thanks guys.

Edited by jleesaxon (see edit history)

To summarize the thread so far for anyone worrying about this in the future, changing header.tpl's <div id="header"></div> to a <header></header> without breaking blockcart requires finding some "#header" id definitions in the CSS and changing them to "header" element definitions.

It turns out those definitions aren't in global.css. The only part of blockcart styled in global.css is the "Checkout" button. Blockcart works perfectly with a completely blank global.css file (while header.tpl still contains "id=header," that is).

The definitions you must change aren't even in your theme folder, but /modules/blockcart/blockcart.css. Also, to position blockcart effectively, you must define "position:relative" on its container.

Once you make those changes, blockcart will open and display correctly, but will not close. It's my belief that "id=header" is utilized not just in blockcart's css but somewhere in its actual code (which I lack the skills to examine).

Edited by jleesaxon (see edit history)