What kind of performace to expect with shared hosting

I am currently running my PS store on a shared hosting account at Arvixe. Both my store and my main website (static HTML) are painfully slow most of the time. It's not uncommon for pages to take 10+ seconds to load. Both of my sites are very, very low traffic. This is my first experience with a store and shard hosting.

Are my expectations too high? What would be typical load times with these shared hosting accounts? I don't want to go through the hassle of moving hosts just to experience the same kind of performance elsewhere.

I just tried right now from 5 different locations on 5 different ISP's all across north America (Toronto, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and two in Phoenix) and all of them took 10-20 seconds to load the homepage, and 10-20 seconds to navigatge between pages within the store (yes, the one in my link). I should also note that I have all of the performance settings in PS enabled.

Also note it is not 100% of the time, but definitely the majority of the times I check it the load times are just unacceptable. In fact, half of the time after the 20 seconds passes the page never even fully loads:

DJWlOlW.png

Edited by sscardefield (see edit history)

Your screenshot shows that even some of the html and css aren't loading correctly. That's not the case, with me. I've also tested your site on various site speed services like Googles.

Here is google, (you got an 86 out of 100) [For comparision purposes, www.nike.com recieved a 83 out of 100 and facebook got a 99 out of 100]

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights#url=http_3A_2F_2Fshop.sunstatetechnology.com_2F&mobile=false

While I appreciate your help, I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to get at. While it seems to be loading fine for you right now that does not mean that it is working as expected and there is nothing wrong. I have tried from all over the country (sorry, North America), various ISP's ranging from 10Mb to 100Mb, and with all major browsers. While yes, sometimes it does load properly, the majority of the time it does not. Here is a typical result, from a 30Mb cable connection in Phoenix, AZ.

http://i.imgur.com/trXhmjl.png

The files that take a long time to load change with every refresh, there is no consistency.

I have a ticket open with Arvixe but have not heard back yet, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say.

We just need to wait what other people's user experience is at your website. It's been tested so far by people sitting in Miami and is France and it seems fine.

What are you using to test from different ISPs... Also, have you tried it from your phone... My 4G connection is loading your homepage in 10 seconds and products in 7 seconds.

Asking about what kind of performance you should expect with shared hosting is like say how fast can a car go. It all depends on the shared hosting provider and how much they tax their resources. If they have a lot of users on the machine you are on the performance will be really inconstant.

Which plan do you have on shared hosting?

seal.alphassl takes the 10 second load time for me! I think shared hosting is an open ended question no one can answer it without knowing how many people are sitting on that server to start with! If you need the SSL move away from shared hosting