Trouble with adding a product that has multiple combinations - combination generator fails to finish

First off - I'll be so thankful to whomever is able to help me solve this, it's really been bugging me. I'll definitely buy you a beer! I'm trying to add a product that's got a very large number of variations, color, size (diameter), size (width) and application. The end result is something like 3500 total variations. Every time I attempt to create this the product generator runs for maybe 15-20 minutes and then the page fails to finish loading. Upon inspection of the product and combinations, it appears to have added them all, but when visiting that section of my store, there is no product, no images, or description, the entire product details are all completely blank, showing only my background color. If I load the product page during the generation process, it generally shows all of the appropriate options up to about 75% completion. I've tried this on multiple PCs and even at another location.

I'm also having trouble, where when adding a new product, I'm getting a the 'page not available' error. This has started today. I've tried enabling and disabling URL rewriting, as well as enabling and disabling multistore, but to no avail. My store's URL is: http://www.superbikeunlimited.com/presta/ under new products on the right hand side, you can see an "m4 y pipe" that's doing this.

Please advise! Thank you!

This is on Presta 1.5.3.1

Hi SBKUnlimited, that's a lot of variations to be loading at one time. PrestaShop will actually need to create 3500 different products so that is definitely going to take a while.

It could be a memory error or max_execution error, have you turned on Error reporting in config/defines.inc.php >>> Mode_Dev set to "True".. That may give more information.

Another alternative would be to break down that one product into a whole separate category. For instance, have a seperate category for that one product and break it down into subcategories using one of the Combinations.

So instead of (example) Wheels, with combinations of 15inch, 16inch etc... You will have a Category of Wheels and subcategories of 15inch, 16inch etc.

That will greatly reduce the number of combinations needed to be generated.

Regarding the "page not available", if it started today then something somewhere must have caused that to happen. What is the parent(s) category that you are using for that product. Is it for all new added products or just this one?

• Like 1

Thanks for the rapid response. Your question about the parent category led me to try changing the 'default category' in the dropdown under attributes and it instantly resolved that issue. As for the enabling error reporting in that directory - I have not, I'm not very familiar with that kind of thing, but I can ask my webmaster to have a look at it. The subcategory idea I feel would not be suitable for the particular product and I don't want to create excess clutter - additionally, another presta-power store I'm familiar with has the same product and combinations successfully in place. I'd like to mimic that setup, ideally. Thanks again for the insight - I genuinely appreciate it. Any other suggestions for enabling the generator to finish?

Edited by SBKUnlimited (see edit history)

Even if you increase the memory, you may still run into Out of Memory issues if you'll need more attributes, and the front end will slow down, as there is a huge amount of Javascript code on the page for the combinations.

Prestashop can generally handle about 1,000-3,000 combinations per product.

We have created a module specifically for that, which changes the way combination are structured, and lets you use as many as you want (you do not need so many combinations, and cannot use the combination generator).

You can read more about it and see a demo at http://www.prestashop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47363-module-attribute-wizard-pro-create-an-unlimited-number-of-attributes-and-display-as-radio-button-checkbox-dropdown-textbox-teaxtarea-files/

I would suggest to turn on the error reporting method in the previous post. If you can access any php or apache error logs from your Cpanel or from contacting your hosting provider, that would be helpful as well.

It could be a memory timeout issue in which case you can hopefully ask your hosting provider to increase it temporarily until you complete the upload process.

• Like 1

No, as there's only 1 function that is used to load all of the combinations.

The issue is not with generating them, that part does not require the memory, as it simply adds records to the DB, however, when you try to read all of the, you start getting the OOM errors.

Blank page = Out of memory error (you can turn on error reporting in /config/defines.inc.php line 28).

The product page take up more memory as other modules are loaded, which is why are getting the OOM error.

• Like 1

That is one solution, although the front end may still be a little slow.

You can further reduce the number of combinations, or check out the module I suggested (which will allow you to use as many attributes are you need)

• 5 months later...

Even if you increase the memory, you may still run into Out of Memory issues if you'll need more attributes, and the front end will slow down, as there is a huge amount of Javascript code on the page for the combinations.

Prestashop can generally handle about 1,000-3,000 combinations per product.

We have created a module specifically for that, which changes the way combination are structured, and lets you use as many as you want (you do not need so many combinations, and cannot use the combination generator).

You can read more about it and see a demo at http://www.prestashop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47363-module-attribute-wizard-pro-create-an-unlimited-number-of-attributes-and-display-as-radio-button-checkbox-dropdown-textbox-teaxtarea-files/

Hi tomerg3,

Maybe I'm wrong but your module requires the administrator to manually create all the combinations one by one... right?

Regards

• 6 months later...