Custom/tailor-made products?

I'm having difficulty setting up my products as I'd like them.

My product is custom made each time a customer orders. Just to give an idea, there are 3 different products, each could be available in anything from 30cm*30cm up to 50cm*50cm, and every possible combination in between. Prices vary depending on the measurements given. However, they're not made until a customer orders.

I'd like to be able to put up, for example, 10 items, with the ability for the customers to choose any measurements. But the way Prestashop is set up as standard, if I list all of the possible measurements with applicable prices it lists every possible combination as in stock (which gives something ridiculous like 300000 products in stock), rather than just 10 items which could have any measurements.

Is there any way I can set up Prestashop standard the way I want it, or would I have to use a custom module?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Nemo1, how would that work with pricing though?

It's something I considered, but I don't see how the pricing for the different measurements would work, if it's based on open text fields. The only way I can see it do it would be to take the orders then invoice separately for any potential cost above the standard product price, dependent on measurements given.

The way I was doing it was through combinations, but as I said, that leaves me with a ridiculous number of in stock items.

Uh...right. no, that would not affect the price. And as you said using combinations would lead to an insane number of database entries (not to mention choices in the product page).

At this point you can go two ways:

1- Create a module/modification that adds some extra fields to products, and based on that changes the price once a user clicks, say (Give me a quote). This would require editing the database, add a new table there, and a new field to ps_cart_product as well, and in order_detail too.

2- Give your customers separate quotes after the proicess the order (the bad way)

• 3 weeks later...