How to change displayed product order in a super-category?

Hello all,

hopefully there's a simple way to solve this.

I got 2 levels of nested categories: parent, child 1, child 2, child 3. The product order within each child category has been manually arranged and the Preferences->Products->Default order by is set to "Position inside category". It works fine when opening each child category.

However when viewing the Parent category the order of products is mixed up. I would expect to see all products from Child 1, then Child 2, then Child 3 in that category order.

Instead what i'm seeing is product 1 from Child 1, product 1 from Child 2, product 1 from Child 3, then product 2 from Child 1, product 2 from Child 2, products 2 from Child 3, etc.

This is rather illogical as i can't think of a scenario where mixing products from different categories would be desireable.

You can see the example here: http://living-organics.asia/index.php?id_lang=1&id_category=12&controller=category&n=20

Are there any other settings besides Preferences->Products that control the display order. If not, where in the code should i make changes to get the order that i'm after.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Above the product list on the left there's a field called filter by category. Check that and than select the category. The arrows will appear.

Hi outre99, I don't know which arrows you mean, but I can't sort my products. I'm used to Joomla and Virtuemart and there are arrows to move your products up or down in the position column. Not in my Prestashop.

I'm pretty new to PS myself so don't know if that's normal or not. I still think this behavior is not optimal because in order to be able to get the proper order of products in the super-category i need to explicitely assign them into the super-category in addition to the child categories.

The more logical behavior would be for the products to appear in the child category order for each child category. Having to additionally assign them to the super-category should not be required.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem in version 1.5.4.0. I have arranged the order of my products in the back office both in the parent category and in each subcategory. It worked great in the subcategory, but the parent category is all mixed up. It does not match the order which I have in the back office. Actually it is putting some products that are only assigned to show up in the subcategory appearing now in the parent category. Has anyone been able to solve this issue?

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Dear All,

I have a free account website in presta, I want to display my product in category in my homepage.

Ex.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smart Phones

Only smart phones Products to be display

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tablets

Only Tablets Products to be display

Featured Phones

Only Featured phones Products to be display

Mobile Accessories

Only mobile Accessories Products to be display

Awaiting a solution from you all

Hi Nemo,

Thanks for your reply,

I'm unable to find the module in prestashop, could you please provide me the link?

In prestashop I'm unable to buy in Indian Rupees, Only three currency are displayed?

Thanks & Regards

Nagamani K

• 2 months later...

In your layer navigation module configuration you have to make sure that the filter template includes the parent and children categories and that the option Show products from subcategories is enabled.

Then you can have a parent category Level1 with no products and a child category Level2 with products. When in category page Level1, the layered navigation menu will display the products from Level2.

Thanks for your reply.  I've checked my configuration and it's like you described. And the products from Level2 are (frontend) shown when i'm on category page Level1. But I want to manipulate the order of products on this page. I can not see how, because when I go to my backoffice, to products and filter on category Level1 it contains no products.

You are right, in "filter by category" you can't change the position of products for Level1. IMO this is the right behavior since there are no products assigned to this category.

The fact that Level1 page shows products from Level2 is due to the Layered navigation module and this module should offer a way to reorder products, but unfortunately it does not by default. To achieve this you'll have to customize the module code.