Permission of file and folders

BL_promo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello

common sense is as already said that it depends on the server. Well, I am no techie :( But sometimes I can understand what I read but not always :)

However, my host tells me that it depends on the cms system. Lol

How do I secure my files and folders using permissions?

konsoleH™

Our award winning proprietary control panel empowers customers to manage their hosting environment.Take the tour

The default permissions set on directories (folders) and files on Hetzner’s managed hosting platform are:

755 (drwxr-xr-x) - directories

644 (-rw-r—r—) - files

The above permissions should accomodate most websites; while providing moderate security.

Permissions on files and folders can be modified using the File Manager in konsoleH, through a normal FTP client or via SSH depending on your website’s requirements.

If you are making use of a CMS (Content Management Tool) such as Joomla, WordPress, osCommerce or Drupal, the installation guide provided by the supplier will include information on any permission changes needed. It is imperative that you seek the guidance of the CMS provider on securing your website after installation and on keeping it secure by performing regular security and version updates.

So, after lots of reading and more confusing details I as a non techie think that in my situation it may be different. Why? Well, because I use a cheap hosting solution and I am told it is called:

shared hosting server solution for people who are no techies

I understand that it may be possible on a shared hosting solution that user A can see and may be back up data from user B via common scripts (akeeba in wordpress) or tools. Ok, that is something I read before asking again in this forum since information isn't crystall clear to me.

Taking all this in I come to the point to believe that 604 and 705 are the proper permissons for my Prestashop on the shared hostsing environment hosted at Hetzner.?!

Can someone be so kind to enlighten me?

PS:

This is of course very imortant to me because of security and datatrust reasons but also since I am having still issues with the PayPal ModuleS, OnePageCheckOut and refresh of the cart and Guest Checkout with PS1.4.9 and I found information that the PayPal Modul must habe 755 folder permissions?! which would contradict my understand of the proper and secure folder permission as outlined above.

mhh

best regards

boris

Puh Vekia,

after reading your 1st sentence I could feel the sweats beads coming

but

then I came to your end focus and am relieved :)

thank you!

I will now make sure all my /public_html/

files are 604

folders are 705

and exclude this matter for ever and won't relate it anymore to problems I habe with Paypal OPC & Guest checkout, upgrading 1.49 --- 15-x :D