Changing Domain

At the moment I have a webshop, say webshop1 it runs on paid hosting and domainname is registered on their name.

I made a new one in prestashop 1.5.2 on my own hosting temporarily on a different domain, say this is webshop2

This one is almost finished so somewhere next week I want to replace webshop1 by webshop2

I figured this is the way to go:

1 I register the domain from webshop1 and ask authorisationcode with the old hoster (they know I am gonna move and will agree)

2 Login the new webshop which is still on wrong domain (webshop2) and change the domainnames in preferences-seo&url--shopdomain and SSL-domain in the right domainname

3 Login at my hosting and change the domainname from the current(wrong) one to the new right one

4 When dns is resolved the new webshop should be up and running on the right domain.(and change all emailadresses to the right, new one)

That's it or something will go terribly wrong this way?

Needs to go right at once since this webshop makes lots of orders and would,t want it to go offline for some reason.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Hi bellini, don't think that's really necesary, dns will take about a day to resolve so in this period people will enter either the old or the new shop, both is fine by me.

After dns is resolved completely I will tell hoster from old shop he can throw it away I guess :-)

Where you might not care if a customer is flipped between old and new sites, I think most people would prefer only to send visitors to the new site once the changes are made.

How will you handle customers that visit the old site, make changes (orders, new registrations, password changes, etc..). Are you doing a post migration of this information?

This will also benefit other people reading your post and taking it as advice, it's best practice to disable the old store so you can avoid a post migration.