Rackspace or AWS?

Hi,

Which would be good for PS1.5.2? Rackspace cloud server or AWS?

My shop will be low in traffic initially but should attract good traffic.

I don't think hosting on shared servers is good because most of them have allocated memory very low (around 32mb) for php. This makes even browsing products throw up errors!

Lost cost / reliable hosting for PS 1.5.2? with option to scale

Would a 128mb total dedicated system memory VPS be enough? Remember it has to host apache/php also!

Edited by innocuous (see edit history)

Hi Benjamin,

I am in India, would there be latency or issues? What about downtime and server loads? If you are recommending I'll definitely consider them on top 3.

I am looking at starting with their Basic configuration with 512mb ram and 10 gb space. Would it be enough for PS 1.5 live store with say 5000 products?

Finally ,any discount for forum members/PS users with A2hosting?

Edited by innocuous (see edit history)

Hi Innocuous,

I represent A2 Hosting and can answer your questions. There shouldn't be any latency issue from India, you can check the speediness of our website from your location - the speed on your PrestaShop site should be similar.

Our servers are located in Southfield, MI - we run at 99.9% uptime and post our 30-day uptime ratings on our website at all times.

We have a special package for PrestaShop users: http://www.a2hosting...hosting-options

In terms of the amount/size of hosting you may need, it would depend more on your traffic and less on the number of products you have. If you think you'll have a decent amount of traffic, I would recommend going with a VPS. You can start with the smallest VPS we offer and scale it up as you need. http://www.a2hosting.com/vps-hosting/

Either way, use coupon code 'PRESTASHOP' when you check out and it will save you some money off your first payment.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by a2hosting-andy (see edit history)

Hi Innocuous,

I represent A2 Hosting and can answer your questions. There shouldn't be any latency issue from India, you can check the speediness of our website from your location - the speed on your PrestaShop site should be similar.

Our servers are located in Ann Arbor, MI - we run at 99.9% uptime and post our 30-day uptime ratings on our website at all times.

We have a special package for PrestaShop users: http://www.a2hosting...stashop-hosting

In terms of the amount/size of hosting you may need, it would depend more on your traffic and less on the number of products you have. If you think you'll have a decent amount of traffic, I would recommend going with a VPS. You can start with the smallest VPS we offer and scale it up as you need. https://affiliates.a2hosting.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=3682&url=311

Either way, use coupon code 'PRESTASHOP' when you check out and it will save you some money off your first payment.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Andy

do you have server in singapore?

It really is, when people find one they like, they normally stick with it, as I have with Fords.

Edit:

Not to thread jack, but I am thinking of upgrading a clients server, I am having a problem with the updating the orders on the order page taking too long. The ajax requests are taking about 4-6 seconds, just on that page. Any idea's of a way to speed things up?

Edited by DesignHaus42 (see edit history)

It really is, when people find one they like, they normally stick with it, as I have with Fords.

Edit:

Not to thread jack, but I am thinking of upgrading a clients server, I am having a problem with the updating the orders on the order page taking too long. The ajax requests are taking about 4-6 seconds, just on that page. Any idea's of a way to speed things up?

I would start a new thread for that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

When it come to Cloud providers, Amazon AWS is the only true cloud service. Rackspace use effectively split/shared servers, these are effectively dedicated servers with a cloud looking frontend on them. With AWS once you hit the server limit you can downgrade and upsize to incredibly powerful instances in a few seconds. Technically you can do this with Rackspace but what if the server is full. AWS also provide MySQL pre-installed with backup and maintenance via RDS along with Memcache, CDN, DNS, etc. this is why companies such as Hootsuite and Reddit use AWS. Their free tier is also very useful for small stores starting out as they can host for free for the first year.

The second point is what does your hosting provider use as an infrastructure, NFS is incredibly slow, do they have PHP caching, Nginx or Litespeed web server, burstable CPU, how much allocated memory. These points all affect your stores performance, there are many statistics that show how a 1second page load increase can reduce sales substantially. Using a VPS or dedicated server normally means you are running the database on the web server and maintaining the software yourself distracting from the task of marketing and making sales.