Same Product in two different categories is duplicate content?

seog

Thanks for your reply,

But if you have two categories.. then each category has a different url. Example for product "red shoes":

www.mydomain.com/shoes/3-red-shoes

www.mydomain.com/shoes/winter-shoes/3-red-shoes

Google will see two different urls with same product and same content.

Really this isn´t duplicate content?

Thanks for your reply,

But if you have two categories.. then each category has a different url. Example for product "red shoes":

Are you going to use same product and same content on both pages??/

If you are going to share same content and product on different categories than it will be a spam because Google loves fresh and unique content also.

And

Why should you want to do like this?? can't understand.

Andy Flower

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in that answer too.... we are building our site right now and we have to determine where to show each product...

We though that the logical way is to show a product at the root, then at the category and finally subcategory... but if that will be bad for SEO we shold only show each product into tis finaly subcategory :blink:

It's very easy to have duplicate products. I set up a website for my [spam-filter] who owns a baby clothes and toy shop. I face a problem with listing the same toys in more than one category.

Example.

Red truck would be listed for toys for a 3 year old, also in role play toys and then under manufactures toys.

I hope to work around this problem by either changing the title & content for each listing. As it would make more sense to "target" content for each listing as follows...

Category - 3 Year old

Toys for 3 year old

Red truck make a great gift for 3 year old and ....

Category - Role Play Toys

Red trucks make a great gift for children to role play. I stirs their imagination and put them in the drivers seat....

Category - Manufacturer

ACME company makes Red trucks are designed with your child's safety in mind.

I was also thinking of disallowing certain pages in the robots file if the content is similar.

I would be interested in other peoples comments and suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Kids Toys (Malaysia)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this definately creates duplicate content. Even though the URLs have a different category in them the product at the end is definately the same and google will 100% see this content as duplicate content, which it is. By definition duplicate content is content that is copied. This definition has nothing to do with the URL.

Consider someone copied you shop completely and put it on another domain, would you consider this duplicate content, I would, so therefore google does.

Please read my article on preventing duplicate content in cPanel

If you have a product that is in 2 or more categories you should consider removing the category section of route to product thus removing the duplicate content issue.

{category:/}{id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}.html to {id}-{rewrite}{-:ean13}

Lastly the cannonical redirect feature might only work for the www and non-www issue. I do not think it handles products in mulitple categories.

Edited by shoulders (see edit history)

This is *not* duplicate as long as you have the rel=canonical turned on. This is the reason for rel=canonical, to tell search engines that you have multiple paths to the same content, and that *this one here* is the main path that Google should remember.

• Like 1

This is *not* duplicate as long as you have the rel=canonical turned on. This is the reason for rel=canonical, to tell search engines that you have multiple paths to the same content, and that *this one here* is the main path that Google should remember.

Then how to turn on/off rel=canonical ??? :huh:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,,, so what happens if I just have Preferences->SEO & URLs->Friendly URL ??? (wich was my case) which effect will it have on SEO?

What this does is use a little magic in the web server to convert something like "myshop.com/category=1?productid=32" into "myshop.com/shirts-1/tank-top-2" in real-time.

This is good for your users, because they can look at the top of the screen and see something that makes sense.

But it is also *very* important for Google, because Google wants to see the same keywords appear in the URL and the body text. This is *super important* for SEO! (But see the notes at the bottom…) Here's why…

Have you noticed that the Wikipedia almost always comes up at the top of the list when you do Google searches? It's not good luck, it's good SEO.

Here's my last big article, go and google up: "bytown and prescott railway". You see, it's on top, even though it's only a few days old. Why?

Look at the meta-title in the Google search results, "Bytown and Prescott Railway". Look at the title of the page when you open it, "Bytown and Prescott Railway". Look at the H1 at the top, "Bytown and Prescott Railway". Look at the first sentence of visible text, "Bytown and Prescott Railway". Look at the URL "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bytown_and_Prescott_Railway".

Hmm, I wonder if this is an article about the Bytown and Prescott Railway? :-)

Now go back to the Google search and look at the *second* result on the search page. The meta-title of that page is "First Railway in Ottawa". The internal title (in text) is "The First Railway in Ottawa". There is no H1 anywhere (very bad!). The URL is "Article2005_1.html". What is this page about? Well the *term* "Bytown and Prescott" shows up a lot, so I'll *guess* it's about that?

Now which one do you think a robot can figure out? And so the Wiki page is on top.

Now canonical…

If you have more than one way to get to the same page, this is bad. That's because the web spammers make lots of pages with the same text on them, text they scraped from other pages and then just link back and forth. They're just copying what they found somewhere else. Google notices this and punishes them.

In Presta you *always* have *at least* two ways to get to your product pages if you have Friendly URLs turned on - one using the formulae category=23?product-id=17 in the URL, and the other is the friendly URL. You have even more if the product is in multiple categories. So now Google thinks you're a spammer.

So how to fix this? Turn on rel=canonical! This specifically says to Google "I have multiple paths to this page, and *this* URL is the main one". Now you could select any URL as the canonical, they'll all work. But do you want to have the URL that Google doesn't like, or the URL that it *does* like? Hmmmm…

Finally, it's also important that you *manually edit all your product descriptions*. Most people simply cut and paste from the manufacturer. Bad! Well not so much bad as "not as good as it could be". Because if you make your own description, and make sure there's keywords in there, then you rank higher. Because otherwise you're just copying and pasting from another page… like a spammer. So MAKE YOUR OWN DESCRIPTIONS!

Ahhh, SEO!

• Like 2

No because products have an unique ID and also the default structure is not like: your domain/category/product.html. Your link is: your domain/product.html. To be sure, you can also active the canonical-URL.

I understand, product url don´t include url category in prestashop > 1.5 versions but then the content duplicate I think that is in categories if you have same item in two diferent categories, subcategories etc.

However I see content duplicate in product url. Show example of prestashop demo site:

Your product with friendly url show perfect

http://demo-store.prestashop.com/en/electronics/38-gps.html

but if you add to this url " ?product_rewrite=your-product-name "

http://demo-store.prestashop.com/en/electronics/38-gps.html?product_rewrite=38-gps

Then your product load with two diferent url and I believe that this is very dangerous for seo

Am I wrong?

I understand, product url don´t include url category in prestashop > 1.5 versions but then the content duplicate I think that is in categories if you have same item in two diferent categories, subcategories etc.

However I see content duplicate in product url. Show example of prestashop demo site:

Your product with friendly url show perfect

http://demo-store.prestashop.com/en/electronics/38-gps.html

but if you add to this url " ?product_rewrite=your-product-name "

http://demo-store.prestashop.com/en/electronics/38-gps.html?product_rewrite=38-gps

Then your product load with two diferent url and I believe that this is very dangerous for seo

Am I wrong?

I think it is very important that an expert in prestashop-SEO could answer this doubt... :blink:

Edited by Antakarana (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Similar to the above shoe example, I have a sweater and matching skirt. When I wrote the ad in BO I clicked the boxes to put it into categories, it's final path is in two different places to help shoppers find them.

Clothing > Womens > Dress

Clothing > Womens > Suits and 2 Piece Outfits

You can see at http://angelelegancevintage.com/women/242-belted-sweater-skirt-dress-set-vintage-chenille-wool.html

When I follow the site's navigation, I still end up with the same URL for this product.

Google Webmaster Tools isn't showing any of the products I have done this to as duplicates, and I want to keep friendly urls, do I need to pick one or the other? Or, is it ok to keep until if and when they notice?

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Can some one please help regarding changing category names in prestashop and this effecting SEO?

We recently completely dropped off google from page 1 spot 1-2, to about page 20 for a specific keyword, our most important one.

In the same period of time, our PPC speciliast in india also recommended that we change one of our main categories on the homepage from

Feeding bottles    (/10-feeding-bottles)

to baby feeding bottles.  (/10-baby-feeding-bottles)

My question and concern is, would changing the category name like the above example effect our seo for all products inside that category? 

Many thanks,

Kris

Hello,

Can some one please help regarding changing category names in prestashop and this effecting SEO?

We recently completely dropped off google from page 1 spot 1-2, to about page 20 for a specific keyword, our most important one.

In the same period of time, our PPC speciliast in india also recommended that we change one of our main categories on the homepage from

Feeding bottles    (/10-feeding-bottles)

to baby feeding bottles.  (/10-baby-feeding-bottles)

My question and concern is, would changing the category name like the above example effect our seo for all products inside that category? 

Many thanks,

Kris

This will not have any significant effect on your website ranking.

After EMD update the importance of having keyword in domain has been reduced to a very minimum level.