Guest customers can't create registered account - bug?

Hi everyone,

after upgrading to 1.4.9.0. I have received multiple emails from customers who already had placed a guest checkout order in the past, and now wanted to create a registered account, and couldn't because PS tells gives them a "email already exists" error message.

Is this a bug, or is this on purpose?

Because these customers can place multiple orders with the same email if they checkout as guest, but as soon as they want to register, denied because the email is already on file.

I'm just wondering if that's how this is supposed to work or not?

Thanks for your input!

Dan

To my knowledge, yes, that is default behavior. For all practical purposes 'Guest checkout' is creating an account. So, you cannot have two accounts with the same email address. There was a great thread in the forum not to long ago about Guest checkout. I would search for it and read through it. You will do away with GC after reading it.

Marty Shue

Hi Marty,

thank you for your feedback. I have indeed pondered the question of getting rid of GC for quite a while, but have lacked the courage so far as there still is the fear of "what if you lose sales to customers who don't want to register".

But the increasing number of messages from customers wondering why they can't register after having created a guest account and your confirmation that this is not a bug, I think that spelled doom for GC on my website.

So many thanks for your input, I appreciate your time and thoughts!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Marty,

thank you for your feedback. I have indeed pondered the question of getting rid of GC for quite a while, but have lacked the courage so far as there still is the fear of "what if you lose sales to customers who don't want to register".

But the increasing number of messages from customers wondering why they can't register after having created a guest account and your confirmation that this is not a bug, I think that spelled doom for GC on my website.

So many thanks for your input, I appreciate your time and thoughts!

Dan

@Mister Denial

Just wondered how you got on with this? Did you get rid of guest checkout? If so, have you noticed any reduction in orders?

Im just curious as I also would love to get rid of it but I'm too chicken!

• 5 weeks later...

I think it's misleading for customers that they can't register by registration form if they were guests customers in the past. Do you know any solution to fix this? I reckon that the best solution will be to send email with temporary pass when guest is trying to register. There should be also some notification.

I think it's misleading for customers that they can't register by registration form if they were guests customers in the past. Do you know any solution to fix this?

They can register but not with the same email address they used to create a 'guest' account (see OP).

Simple solution to fix this is to use an alternative email address when they create their customer account.

Marty Shue

Whilst I totally agree that GC has got to be one of the most annoying features I also think that some customers like the idea (even if it's misguided) of checking out without registering. I think a good compromise would be to have an option (like on AdminOrders.php) on the order confirmation page for the customer to convert into a registered account if they wish after they have completed their transaction. Something like "Click here to receive a password so you can track your order". Is this possible?

• 2 weeks later...

@ pel024: I haven't gotten rid of GC yet, because of the same reasons, too afraid on how it might affect turnover and cart abandon.

I do think that with sizes like Amazon with mandatory account creation, customers are used to it by now, but at this time of the year, yeah, I'm too chicken to try. So I postponed dropping GC til after the holidays.

The issue that Guest Order tracking is not working is still open though, and no feedback from Presta Team yet, the bug report has been open for months now, nothing: http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFI-6607

• 5 months later...

Hello everybody,

To solve this problem for version 1.5.3, you have to modify "controllers/front/Authcontroller.php

On line 375 find:

if (Validate::isEmail($email = Tools::getValue('email')) && !empty($email))

replace by:

if (Validate::isEmail($email = Tools::getValue('email')) && !empty($email) && Tools::getValue('is_new_customer', 1))

On line 522 find:

if (Customer::customerExists(Tools::getValue('email')))

Replace by:

if (Customer::customerExists(Tools::getValue('email')) && Tools::getValue('is_new_customer', 1))

I hope this works for you

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In PS 1.4.10

in Controllers/AuthController.php line 49

replace:

elseif (Customer::customerExists($email, false, false))

by

elseif (Customer::customerExists($email, false, true))

in same file line 135 replace:

if (Customer::customerExists(Tools::getValue('email'), false, (Configuration::get('PS_GUEST_CHECKOUT_ENABLED') && Tools::getValue('is_new_customer') == 0)))

by

if (Customer::customerExists(Tools::getValue('email'), false, true))

It seems to work, thanks to confirm

Edited by cactusman2 (see edit history)

• 2 years later...