Warning, your hosting provider limits the maximum number of...

Hey guys,

I get this error when trying to translate a module.

Warning, your hosting provider limits the maximum number of fields to post in a form:

1000 for suhosin.post.max_vars

1000 for suhosin.request.max_vars

1000 for max_input_vars

Please ask your hosting provider to increase the suhosin post and request limit to 1867 at least. or edit the translation file manually.

I have set file permissions to 777 for the following folders:

/config, /upload, /download, /tools/smarty/compile, /img, /mails, /modules, /themes/mytheme/lang, /translations

I have also tried making a php.ini (not sure if the last line is correct) and put it in my root folder.:

suhosin.post.max_vars=2000

suhosin.request.max_vars=2000

max_input_vars=2000

No success so far. Anyone know how to solve this? The error above I showed you says "or edit the translation file manually.". How would I do that?

Thank you!

I'm on a managed VPS. Do you know how to do this manually? What I figured out so far is to download translations/sv/ (Swedish) and in there is a few files called admin.php, errors.php, pdf.php, fields.php and inside each there are translations for the Swedish language. Lets say I want to translate the Cart Block module. How would I do that?

Edit: Acutally figured it out but it's not optimal. :D

First you need to get a translation file for example the german language and rename de.php to sv.php (sv = Swedish). I had for some reason deleted all languages except English and Swedish so I had to go to an old installation where I knew all translations could be found.

Then you will have a lot of german text in a file and all you gotta do now is translating each line. I used Google translater while I translated it. Some words I didn't get right and had to change them later.

Once done translating it I simply upload it to my the blockcart folder (root/modules/blockcart/place-file-here)

Edited by Noyes (see edit history)

Suhosin settings go to php.ini. Check first:

[~]# php -v
with Suhosin v0.9.31, Copyright (c) 2007-2010, by SektionEins GmbH

If so, you will find the settings in (path may differ) /usr/local/lib/php.ini, e.g.

[suhosin]
; Filtering Options
suhosin.filter.action = ...

If not then add the following:

[suhosin]
; Required by PrestaShop translations
suhosin.request.max_vars=2000
suhosin.post.max_vars=2000
suhosin.max_input_vars=2000

Save and restart Apache

Note to devs. Why post thousands of translations every time, even when a single expression is changed? How does that scale to 200 modules and 50K translatable expressions?

Edited by phrasespot (see edit history)

@phrasespot

because it was a terrible design and the developer had zero foresight, and probably worked on a WAMP instance where the limitations would not exist.

the best solution for those people that cannot increase these settings due to hosting restrictions, would be to install WAMP/LAMP on your localhost. copy your site there and perform all of your translations. then copy those translation files to your production server.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First change your php.ini file as follows:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; max_execution_time = 30	 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_execution_time = 600	 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
; max_input_time = 60    ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
max_input_time = 600    ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
; memory_limit = 64M	  ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)
memory_limit = 256M	  ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)
max_input_vars = 8000;
suhosin.post.max_vars = 8000;
suhosin.request.max_vars = 8000;

Create a phpinfo.php file

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=479.0

Upload it to the public directory of your site.

Test it e.g. www.mysite.com/phpinfo.php

It should tell you whether you have successfully increased your variable settings or not.

• 5 months later...

I see this thread has been quiet for some time now but I am facing the exact same issue as the original poster. I get the following errors when trying to edit translations:

Warning, your hosting provider limits the maximum number of fields to post in a form:
4000 for suhosin.post.max_vars
4000 for suhosin.request.max_vars
1500 for max_input_vars
Please ask your hosting provider to increase the post and request limit to 3793 at least. or edit the translation file manually.

The php/suhosin settings have been adjusted to 4000, 4000 and 1500 respectively (this is confirmed with phpinfo) yet I still get the same errors.

Is there any light to be shed on this issue?

Thanks!

Edited by ecohosting (see edit history)

I did not increase the max_input_variables because it did not ask me to do so. It specifically requested I increase the POST and REQUEST variable values, and based on my readings here in the forum I followed the advice and examples of others.

Perhaps a more specific error message would avoid the problem and frustration. Or better still some inproved programming avoiding this situation altogether would be appreciated by anyone who uses a shared hosting service. These requirements are outside what it considered acceptable php parameters.