I Need Customer to Accept "Terms" Before Purchase - How?

I am trying to find a way to have an “Accept Terms and Conditions” button or check box for a product (which in my case, is actually a service they sign up for) that the buyer will have to accept before they can make their purchase. I would like them to be able to view the terms (ideally as a downloadable PDF), click “Accept” and then be able to check out.

It could be in the cart or on the product's page itself, doesn't really matter, as long as I can get their acknowledgment that they read the Terms and then capture their agreement.

I can probably add the PDF of their copy as an attachment to the product, but how to get their acceptance on record on the site?

Is there a setting for this in the product's catalogue page, or in one of the modules or configurations that I have not yet found, or is this even a possibility?

Or perhaps someone knows of a third-party module that can do this?

I am using the default theme in 1.4.8.2, with no other real modifications to speak of, pretty much out of the box. Currently PayPal is my only payment gateway.

Thank you very much.

Edited by tonyawards (see edit history)

Yes, this is built in. Go to Back Office > Preferences

Scroll down until you find "Conditions of use CMS page" choose a page, you can change this later.

Just above is "Terms of service" please enable it. Your customer will be required to accept the terms of service to continue to payment.

• 2 years later...

sounds like you could use a module, however likely one does not already exist for this.

the module would hook itself into the product page, and prevent the "add to cart" button until the customer has accepted the terms that you would need to define.  once the customer accepts the terms, then the add to cart button would be enabled

some questions

1) are the terms the same for each product?  if not, would you create a new CMS page for each product?

2) what about other pages in the store that have add to cart buttons?  home page, category pages etc...?

1) So would you create a CMS page for each product terms?  If you have 100 products, then you would have 100 different CMS pages?

2) I don't think you understood my original question.  I assume you do not want the product to be added to the cart until the product terms have been accepted.  If that is the case, then how do you want to handle pages outside of the product page.  For example, if your home page has products with "add to cart" buttons, what should occur?  If your category pages have the add button, what should occur?  Are you going to remove those buttons and the customer can only add to cart directly from the product page?

• 1 year later...