Step 3 of prestashop installation - Database Configuration

I faced an error saying " Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password and server fields. "

This is what i key in:

Database server name: localhost

Database name: arktikmayhem_presta

Database login: prestashop

Database password: ........

please help me with this problem...

Database is all set and able to run on phpmyadmin.

Hey Scotty501,

I've tried that and tried reinstalling prestashop...and im still stuck at step 3. When i tried to verify my database on step 3, it showed that "Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password and server fields."

Is it because I installed prestashop in the wrong folder in my domain? Coz I've install it under the wwwroot folder. Everything seems to work fine except this. Really need help ASAP :(

• 2 weeks later...

I solved this issue for the OP. He is using a Windows server - so the database field are enteretd diffrently from Linux.

For Windows, I had to remove the account info from the database name and datebase user - where in Linux you included it. As an example

Database is called "Prestashop"

Username is "Shopkeeper"

In Windows when confiiguring the database it is entered as above. In Linux etc - you enter with your account username in front (what I consider normal) so if my web hosting username (as given by your webshost) is "mywsiterocks" I enter the details as below

Database is called mywebsiterocks_Prestashop

Username is mywebsiterocks_Shopkeeper

And that should work for you. One thing I did notice on some Windows machines I had to enter the IP address of the server in the host detalls - where normally you would just put localhost.

I hope that helps - if you are unsure - get in touch

Edited by Scotty501 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also found another reason why this wouldnt go past this stage...

First of all it was becuase my username had an underscore in it..

Then I realised my password had the '<' character in it, I removed it and wala! It must be something to do with strange characters, anyway all sorted now!!

• 2 weeks later...

@[email protected]

Hello to bad the article didn't work. I would love to make it better for future visitors so what should I tell me visitors?

- Not to use underscores and strange characters in usernames and passwords?

Or is there anything else?

@hberenturk

Are you hosting on a shared or a Virtual private server? If your are using a shared server you should contact your hosting for this problem maybe they can help you out?

Kind regards,

T. Barbillion

Yes, your hosting providers can set that up for you.

You are getting an error while connecting to your database, right? Do one thing, uninstall the complete prestashop and re-install and then try to configure the database and connect it. It might will help you.

• 2 months later...

I am getting this problem also. No errors, just the spinning arrow and back to the database settings.

My hosting could not help either. I have a few prestashop installs and it sometimes works fine and other times no go.

At a loss as to where to go next.

finally i got it

database name: "cpanelusername_databasename"

pass: is your "cpanel" password (Not the database password)

(note if you use the right password and get an error i think it means you at least have the right password - if you get no error and just the spinning arrow popup and then return and back to the step 3 again (with no errors), you are probably not using the correct password)

database login: is the cpanelusername

I used the same username as the database name when I created the new user and database in cpanel.

so i could be wrong but if you just create a new user as the same name as the database you should get it.

Hope this works for others.

I've had this problem before and I wasted hours on this again...

So these notes are also for me for my next install.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem and the fix :)

In my case there was a folder _notes created in smarty/compile and smartyv2/compile/

after removing this files the installation resumed.

To check what causes the installation getting stuck use firefox and install firebug.

After pressing next check firebug and see what error it gives, fix this and it will continue

Good luck :)

• 3 months later...