1: HTTP 500 - error - Prestashop version 8.1.0 WAMP version 3.3.0

I'm new here and i'm trying to install prestashop version 8.1.0 locally on my machine, i installed before wamp version 3.3.0 PHP version 8.0.26 all steps seems to be fine, but when the store start the installation it stucks on 0% in the first step ( creat file parameters) with the following error message: 

An error occurred during installation...

You can use the links on the left column to go back to the previous steps, or restart the installation process by clicking here.

1: HTTP 500 - error -

do you have any suggestion please !

Thank you endriu107,

I could identify the error, it was caused by a wrong OPENSSL_CONF configuration.

Now it's OK and I have a new Prestashop installed on my computer 🤪

Now I pray Prestashop Team to add this step in installation guide please, to avoid future newbies like me wasting a lot of time.

Regards

On 9/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, Ophelina said:

Thank you endriu107,

I could identify the error, it was caused by a wrong OPENSSL_CONF configuration.

Now it's OK and I have a new Prestashop installed on my computer 🤪

Now I pray Prestashop Team to add this step in installation guide please, to avoid future newbies like me wasting a lot of time.

Regards

Could you share your solution? What exactly did you do? What did the OPENSSL_CONF configuration steps look like? I got the same error ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 2:52 PM, mn95 said:

Could you share your solution? What exactly did you do? What did the OPENSSL_CONF configuration steps look like? I got the same error ...

OPENSSL_CONF is a Windows environment variable. It points to an openssl.cnf file. Xampp is supposed to set that but it doesn't. Older Prestashop versions didn't check for that. If you have a standard Xampp installation its value should be C:\xampp\apache\bin\openssl.cnf.

You can set the variable by pressing windows key+R, then filling in sysdm.ctl. You get then the System properties window. Choose the Advanced tab and on that page you find a button for environment variables at the bottom.

For me it didn't work immediately. You may need to restart.

Hi,

PrestaShop error 500 is a generic HTTP status code that indicates an internal server error. When you encounter a PrestaShop error 500, it means that something has gone wrong on the server, but the server is unable to specify the exact nature of the problem. This error can be caused by various issues, including misconfigurations, server resource limitations, or software bugs.

Here are some steps you can take to diagnose and potentially resolve a PrestaShop error 500:

Check Error Logs:

Check your server's error logs. The logs may provide more information about the specific error that is causing the 500 Internal Server Error. You can usually find error logs in your server's control panel or by accessing log files on the server directly.

Increase PHP Error Reporting:

In your PrestaShop installation's config/defines.inc.php file, you can set the error reporting level to E_ALL to display all PHP errors and warnings. This can help you identify the specific PHP error causing the problem.

php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

Check for .htaccess Issues:

Incorrect configurations in your .htaccess file can lead to server errors. Make sure your .htaccess file is correctly configured, especially if you have made recent changes to it.

Check for Resource Limitations:

500 errors can occur if your server is running out of resources, such as memory or CPU. Check your server's resource usage to ensure it has enough capacity to run PrestaShop.

Review Recent Changes:

If you recently made changes to your PrestaShop installation or server configuration, consider reverting those changes or checking for errors in the modifications you made.

Disable Plugins/Modules:

Sometimes, a faulty or incompatible PrestaShop module or plugin can cause a 500 error. Temporarily disable any recently installed or updated modules to see if the problem persists.

Check File and Folder Permissions:

Ensure that the file and folder permissions are correctly set. PrestaShop may require specific permissions for certain directories and files.

Update PrestaShop:

Ensure you are running the latest version of PrestaShop. Outdated software can contain bugs that have been fixed in newer versions.

Contact Hosting Support:

If you are unable to identify or resolve the issue, contact your hosting provider's support team. They may be able to assist you in diagnosing and resolving server-related problems.

Seek Developer Assistance:

If you're not comfortable making technical changes or if the issue is complex, consider seeking assistance from a developer or PrestaShop expert.

Remember to back up your PrestaShop website and database before making any significant changes, especially if you plan to modify core files or configurations. This allows you to restore your site in case something goes wrong during the troubleshooting process.

On 9/23/2023 at 6:02 PM, musicmaster said:

OPENSSL_CONF is a Windows environment variable. It points to an openssl.cnf file. Xampp is supposed to set that but it doesn't. Older Prestashop versions didn't check for that. If you have a standard Xampp installation its value should be C:\xampp\apache\bin\openssl.cnf.

You can set the variable by pressing windows key+R, then filling in sysdm.ctl. You get then the System properties window. Choose the Advanced tab and on that page you find a button for environment variables at the bottom.

For me it didn't work immediately. You may need to restart.

Thank you, it works for me! Restart is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...