Anyone already migrated from 1.7.8 to Prestashop 8 ?

ptityop

Hello, 

I have been reading info about the latest presta version 8. If i uderstand we cannot download it from her but from prestashop project new site ... Has anyone already migrated from 1.7.8 to the 8 ? Any feedbacks on this by any chance .. is it safe to go for it on production environement ?

Thank you

Edited by ptityop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• ptityop changed the title to Anyone already migrated from 1.7.8 to Prestashop 8 ?
  • 1 month later...

I migrated a live site from 1.7.8.8 to 8.0.0 and the migration went okay using new version of 1 click upgrade.

Unfortunately, I seemed to encounter a few problems with the new version and as the site was live my window for sorting out the issues was limited so I restored back to 1.7.8.8.

I'll try again with 8.0.1 at some point.

• Like 1

Before upgrading to 8.0.1, you need to update all modules and mainly configure or install ps_accounts, ps_eventbus, ps_checkout, ps_mbo.
Without up-to-date modules, you will run into problems after upgrading.
The store must be in maintenance mode and debug mode must be disabled.
I have already successfully upgraded 12 eshops 😉

Functions from PS 1.7.8.x are retained, only a few hooks have been added.
The speed of 8.0.x is unmatched.

Have the upgrade done by an experienced developer, otherwise you may face a marathon of several days 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, ptityop said:

Hello, 

I have been reading info about the latest presta version 8. If i uderstand we cannot download it from her but from prestashop project new site ... Has anyone already migrated from 1.7.8 to the 8 ? Any feedbacks on this by any chance .. is it safe to go for it on production environement ?

Thank you

it's not released for production release.

let me share a little experience with the community, you don't want to be first unless you  have all the hats to cover issues,  which you will have.

The French method is community tested, which being from US I think is just not wanting to do the hard work, so other than to have fun,  experiment and learn...wait until 8.5+ for something stable and where old core features work again.  

I blame also the default theme they use, not near complex enough to really test ps....who remembers the cool electronics default theme that really showcased filters?

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 5:38 AM, ps8moduly.cz said:

Before upgrading to 8.0.1, you need to update all modules and mainly configure or install ps_accounts, ps_eventbus, ps_checkout, ps_mbo.

Have the upgrade done by an experienced developer, otherwise you may face a marathon of several days 🙂

How did you get around the problem, that a custom design (derived from ps 1.7 classic theme) cannot be selected in the design selection after upgrading?

On 2/6/2023 at 5:38 AM, ps8moduly.cz said:

Upgrading to 8.0.1 went successfully. I noticed that most of the modules were deactivated after the upgrade. So I activated the modules I needed. However, the issue I found was most of the modules will need to be upgraded. unfortunately, when iI click for update of the modules, I got an error message that "could not perform action update for module undefined" as you can see in the attached screenshot. Do you have a tip how I can resolve the issues. Thank you

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.12.png

17 hours ago, sbempire said:

Upgrading to 8.0.1 went successfully. I noticed that most of the modules were deactivated after the upgrade. So I activated the modules I needed. However, the issue I found was most of the modules will need to be upgraded. unfortunately, when iI click for update of the modules, I got an error message that "could not perform action update for module undefined" as you can see in the attached screenshot. Do you have a tip how I can resolve the issues. Thank you

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 14.07.12.png

I migrated from 1.6.24 to 1.7.8.8, then to 8.0.1 and the migration was very hard, but okay.

The same thing happened to me on 2 of the tests.

One was fixed when instead of upgrading all the modules, I did it one by one. The other was more persistent :). I finally uninstalled it, deleted it from the folder, deleted the traces from the database, then installed it successfully.

The speed compared to 1.6 is much lower, but it might be because of the theme I'm using right now.

2 hours ago, chipset said:

One was fixed when instead of upgrading all the modules, I did it one by one. The other was more persistent :). I finally uninstalled it, deleted it from the folder, deleted the traces from the database, then installed it successfully.

Hi chipset, thank you for your response.

I migrated from ps 1.7.8.7 to 8.0.1. I am not suspecting that could be the issue. like you mentioned, I have tried individually upgrading the modules but it didn't work.

For more clarity, when you said "deleted it from the folder, deleted the traces from the database" do mean uninstalling, deleting folders from file manager in the server and clearing cache to remove the traces? Thank You

On 2/17/2023 at 9:30 PM, chipset said:

Hi sbempire, i uninstall the module, delete module folder from the server, clear manual database (search db for the module name), of course and the cache.

If you use debug mode, may be will see something that can help you.

Hi chipset, thanks for your support, your suggestion worked for most of the modules. I didn't even have to delete the folders from the server, I only uninstalled and again installed them. However, I noticed that those remaining modules are Prestashop default modules and I couldn't see their folders in my file manager in the server. 

• Like 1

From what can be seen, one of the other modules or themes is using some kind of override. It probably interferes for the normal installation.

You can try to temporarily remove these overrides or uninstall the modules that use them.

Be sure to make a backup first!

When upgrading to 8.x things have to be done in a certain order, - which will depend on what the current environment is (mods, theme, overrides etc).  There will be a way of upgrade without loosing any data (unless something is not compatible with PS or php)/

Best thing is to work with the backup/local and find what will work for your setup.

There are some mods that will throw the NULL (database) error, in which case you will have to find the mod and make the changes or delete and reinstall a new version (if available).

So far most successful and stable upgrade is:  disable all 3rd party mods, delete mods that are not PS 8 or PHP 7.4 and up compatible, change to classic or install configure new theme, leave overrides but disable during update and then upgrade.  Once PS 8 is up and running, enable the 3rd party mods and make changes to database tables as needed.

6 hours ago, chipset said:

From what can be seen, one of the other modules or themes is using some kind of override. It probably interferes for the normal installation.

You can try to temporarily remove these overrides or uninstall the modules that use them.

Be sure to make a backup first!

ok thanks. In my case, Prestaspeed module seems to be the cause. I have renamed the module and everything seems to be working now, except from the order link which shows error message.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 15.58.17.png

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 15.56.42.png

3 hours ago, sbempire said:

ok thanks. In my case, Prestaspeed module seems to be the cause. I have renamed the module and everything seems to be working now, except from the order link which shows error message.

3 things that can help:

1. Regenerate .htaccess

2. Check if there is anything left from prestaspeed in link.php, for example

3. delete everything from folder /var/cache

On 2/22/2023 at 7:47 PM, chipset said:

3 things that can help:

1. Regenerate .htaccess

2. Check if there is anything left from prestaspeed in link.php, for example

3. delete everything from folder /var/cache

Hi chipset, thanks. It didn't solve the problem. I will see what else I can do. Thank you for you support

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 4:02 PM, sbempire said:

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 15.56.42.png

pls check if you have a module like delete order... In my case, that was causing the issue

For the past 2 months I have been entirely on PS8 on the product site. With the exception of numerous small problems, the system generally works stably. It took me a few tries to update from 8.01 to 8.03, but with more persistence and patience, it worked

• 1 month later...

I upgraded from 1.7.x to 8.0.4 manually.
no 1 click upgrade module that only creates problems

installation of new site ver. 8.0.4 and table by table migration, then table verification, field alignment, data import etc.

Professional work without problems.

Good day

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All,

If you are interested, I just realized upgrade from 1.7.8.9 to 8.1 this morning in less than 15 minutes (once prep work has been done)

Prep work:

1/ Backup of public_html file system folder

2/ Backup of database (I did replicate mysql database)

3/ Upgrade all active module to their latest version (I usually do this every week, so was fast)

This took some times … especially the backup of public_html !

Upgrade:

1/ Set site in maintenance mode

2/ Set theme to default PS theme … just to avoid problem with theme

3/ Disable all cache functions and clear cache

4/ Go the “1-Click Upgrade” and set Channel to update “*major release” … because I usually download locally, but this time I did as mentioned here, just update major version … PS 8.1.0 was detected

5/ Set BACKUP OPTIONS to

Back up my files and database : NO

Back up my images : NO

Each time I use above options in the past my update was a failure, reason I backup in pre work !

6/ Set UPGRADE OPTIONS to

Server performance : Low

Disable non-native modules : YES

Disable all overrides : NO

Upgrade the default theme : YES

Switch to the default theme : YES

Regenerate RTL stylesheet : YES

Keep the customized email templates : NO

7/ Let “1-Click Upgrade” complete its own pre-work and finally under START YOUR UPGRADE you will be ready to perform upgrade

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading about how to MIGRATE from 1.7.8.10 to 8.1.2 (manual mode, fresh install of 8.1.2 + copy the database tables from 1.7) we notice that some modules (not all) suffering from table data changes, that's why we decided to give up the idea of doing it automatically using 1-Click upgrade.

for example in the ps_customer_session table in PS v8.1.2 they added at the end of table 2 new columns:

id_customer_session,"id_customer","token"
id_customer_session,"id_customer","token","date_add","date_upd"

I noticed that some tables have changed the order of the data columns, for example ps_shop table:

id_shop,"id_shop_group","name","id_category","theme_name","active","deleted","color"
id_shop,"id_shop_group","name","color","id_category","theme_name","active","deleted"

Conclusion, if you intend to migrate from PrestaShop v1.7.8.10 to 8.1.2 we advice you take into consideration of checking which tables are suffering from data changes and make a manual modification of the data in those tables.

Please please correct me if I'm wrong...

tables-with-data-changes.jpg

tables-with-data-changes-2.jpg

tables-with-data-changes3.jpg

Trying to move our live store content (we did that moving the database tables manualy) from PrestaShop 1.7.8.11 (Romanian default language, no other languages installed) into PrestaShop 8.1.2 (which have 2 languages installed, English first then Romanian the second one) we notice that the content of the Category names, Description, Additional description etc. it's placed on the English language, since this is the first language in the new store. 

We don't want that since our products are addressed to Romanian clients....so anyone can help us understand how do we change the content of the tables structure to move the content from English (as it is right now) to Romanian language into new store?

Thank you!

one-language-ro-default-language-store.jpg

two-languages-en-and-ro-store-english-default-language.jpg

category-and-products-name-description-aditional-description-in-english-default.jpg

2 hours ago, ccristian said:

Trying to move our live store content (we did that moving the database tables manualy) from PrestaShop 1.7.8.11 (Romanian default language, no other languages installed) into PrestaShop 8.1.2 (which have 2 languages installed, English first then Romanian the second one) we notice that the content of the Category names, Description, Additional description etc. it's placed on the English language, since this is the first language in the new store. 

We don't want that since our products are addressed to Romanian clients....so anyone can help us understand how do we change the content of the tables structure to move the content from English (as it is right now) to Romanian language into new store?

Thank you!

one-language-ro-default-language-store.jpg

two-languages-en-and-ro-store-english-default-language.jpg

category-and-products-name-description-aditional-description-in-english-default.jpg

we figured out how to do that, we changed the default store language from EN to RO.

thank you anyway!

• 1 month later...

I migrated from prestashop 1.6 half a year ago. version i version 8.0.4. It worked unstable with php 8.1, most modules for version 1.7 did not work. Until now, the error has not been corrected so that I can display old orders properly, errors are simply thrown in old orders, you need to turn off those lines where there are errors, I haven't found another way. If there are 10,000 - 20,000 pictures in the browser, then there are big problems with the 1-click module and the program is always broken, a critical error will not resolve like this. They are apparently testing the store upgrade with ten base images. The store started working normally only with the cache module and from presta version 8.1 using php 7.4. Since version 8.1, the 1 clik module does not work normally. After changing the theme of the store and getting stuck with the old classic theme, I use the classic child ones - all theme settings disappear, all module hook settings disappear, you often need to reload the memory module, the sending module, work takes half a day. it's a pity and time and nerve. The most annoying thing is the number of picture folders, if there are 20,000 pictures, the number of inodes is about 640,000. Thousands of folders and subfolders. Someday, someone will make those developers understand that images should be divided into folders and not create structures like: p/9/9/9/9/9/images.jpg. Still index.htm is forced into those folders. When will they abolish this parasitic structure? I can't order a normal ssd server, because most suppliers limit the number of inodes to 500,000, and if more, sometimes you have to pay for hosting. You can't put those picture urls in the db, and the pictures themselves in the rubric id folders.
Image regeneration does not work and crashes, you need to buy a module. I had to manually update to version 8.1.1, later to 8.1.2, and even later, it's true that I already updated to version 8.1.4 with 1 click, but also with the additional exception of using a few tricks, because it's simply a program that you'll notice and won't upgrade anything. The speed of the administration interface in 8.1.4, when calculating the time of work performed, is much slower than with version 1.6, it was convenient to work with version 1.6 and it was possible to quickly add goods.

Prestashop 8.1.x version is a big headache for a person, a lot of time was wasted on compatibility, settings, some kind of non-working module for reloading, hook searches that should work but do not work after switching on. Trading can be severely affected due to technicalities. By the way, the icing on the cake is that the curators were not able to adapt even the default themes to mobile phones, the products are displayed with three strips of icons the size of a fingernail and nothing is visible on a mobile phone, so the style will have to be adapted. If you already make a theme like this, make it so that it shows the pictures of the products on the mobile phone in the entire window, like in leo themes. Try to replace it with a column, which was shown when some professor awkwardly pasted it into html: productClass="col-xs-12 col-sm-6 col-xl-4". try to change this class with css without invading the code?. The most annoying thing is that in the product distribution in the prestashop administration interface, the products are displayed in rows of 40x40 size, where it is impossible to understand what the product is and what makes it different, especially when there are a lot of similar products in that section. Where to change those sizes with an icon, there is no explanation anywhere and when I asked the question in this forum, no one was able to answer. Since a cache is created for pictures, even changing the sizes requires searching for half a day. After half a day of searching, I managed to do it, but after updating to the new version of presta, everything went away again. Why can't the developers create a config file in the admin directory and give it the option to specify the image sizes of the admin interface? Those pictures are also related, if you changed the picture size in the product section, did you also change the picture size on the internal product page? You can't separate the picture sizes. But the times have come when you can't even change the image size in the admin interface.

• Like 2

I recently upgraded a live site from version 1.7.8.8 to 8.0.0 using the new 1-click upgrade feature. While the migration itself went smoothly, I encountered some issues with the new version. Due to the live nature of the site, I had limited time to troubleshoot, so I reverted back to 1.7.8.8. I plan to give version 8.0.1 another shot in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 8:10 PM, 7bit said:

I upgraded from 1.7.x to 8.0.4 manually.
no 1 click upgrade module that only creates problems

installation of new site ver. 8.0.4 and table by table migration, then table verification, field alignment, data import etc.

Professional work without problems.

Good day

Hi friend! What tables did you import from the older version of PrestaShop, do you have a list of those tables? I amaskimg you becouse I did the same things as you mentioned above, but unfortunately without success. Thank you! 

Hi ccristian,

I did it this way too. In order not to miss something, I advise you to use this method:

1. You install a new Prestashop

2. All necessary tables are in the new installation

3. Make a copy of the old Presta, in a different place

4. Uninstall all modules and themes

5. You start 1 click...

6. When 1 click chrash, (this always happens after the base update), you don't restore anything and exit from Prestashop

7. Last... You take every single table from the old Presta and: 1. Compare, 2. Copy to the new installation

8. Install themes and modules...

I have another great idea:
1. Use this module,

Advanced CSV Export For 9-in-1(Product-Category etc)

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/data-import-export/49857-advanced-csv-export-for-9-in-1product-category-etc.html

install it into the old version of Prestashop 1.7.8, and export catalog, product and other data into multiple CSV files.
2. Install the new Prestashop 8 version.
3. In the latest Prestashop 8 background, use the built-in import function to import the CSV data file in the first step.
Finish.
The best advantage of this is that it can maintain the purity of the latest Prestashop 8 version, which is very clean and will not cause all kinds of weird problems caused by the upgrade.

Hi ccristian,

I did it this way too. In order not to miss something, I advise you to use this method:

5. You start 1 click...

6. When 1 click chrash, (this always happens after the base update), you don't restore anything and exit from Prestashop

7. Last... You take every single table from the old Presta and: 1. Compare, 2. Copy to the new installation

When you say uninstall all modules do you mean non-native modules or absolutely all modules?

Thank you!

Hi ccristian,

5. You start 1 click...

Another question please....when you install a new PrestaShop, do you mean installation with demo products or without?

Hi ccristian,

My "guide" is for upgrade from older Prestashops like 1.6... and yes, uninstall all modules (most of them won't work correctly in 8x, or won't work at all). For the demo products - it doesn't matter, when You copy old base over the new one, it will replace it.

added: Pay attention to the version of php, 1.6 work on php 7.0, so start 1 click.. on php7.0 or 7.1

If Your version is 1.7x You just use point 7

Edited by chipset (see edit history)

52 minuti fa, Thomahawk dice:

unfortunate no one gave a complete step by step for manual upgrade without 1-click-upgrade, because 1-click fails every time, stuck at "now upgrading database..."

@Thomahawk

there is no step by step guide to do these jobs, you need knowledge of prestashop, you need knowledge of php, you need knowledge of databases and you need to be able to solve every problem that arises
If you are not capable of doing all this, it is better not to start updating work but to rely on a professional.

This scheme applies to any manual "professional" upgrade without using the 1-click-upgrade module

steps

1) install the new 8.x version from scratch with default theme and default modules.
2) you have to take the site you need to update offline, because you need the database to be stopped
3) take table by table and compare them properly and see if they are identical or if something changes, if something changes you have to align the table of the old version with that of 8.x.
4) after you have aligned the table of the old version, export the data and then load them into the 8.x table
5) repeat the same process for all tables
6) needless to say that you have to do very scrupulous work on the tables because if you make mistakes you will only have wasted time.
7) when you have finished with all the tables you will have the new 8.x site working with all the data.
8.)  now you can install the updated modules for 8.x and the theme for the 8.x version

that's all

Good work

Edited by 7bit (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, ComGrafPL said:

Better install clean 8.1 and migrate the data. Either way, probably you will need to use new theme from start.

@ComGrafPL I've had success upgrading a theme easily from 1.7 to 8.... out of interest why do you think a complete new theme would be required? Is there anything in particular to look out for that would require a complete replacement? I guess for the inexperienced that's the only option and maybe that's what you mean.

Tools::jsonEncode() and Tools::jsonDecode() account for the majority of incompatibilities in modules and even this shouldn't actually be a thing..... It appears that there's no penalty (or audit) when a module is sold on the Addons store, but relies on code that has been flagged as deprecated. In fact writing modules that way ensures additional income when a new version comes out and the deprecations are finally removed.

"Compatible with" <> "written for" a particular version. In fact NO 1.7.x module ever sold should use these functions. 1.7.0 was released in November 2016. It does keep many of us employed though, picking up the pieces :(

It's far too easy to criticise the core developers and the 1-click module...

/**
     * @deprecated Deprecated since 1.7.0
     * Use json_decode instead
     * jsonDecode convert json string to php array / object
     * @param string $data
     * @param bool $assoc (since 1.4.2.4) if true, convert to associativ array
     * @return array
     */
    public static function jsonDecode($data, $assoc = false, $depth = 512, $options = 0)
    {
        return json_decode($data, $assoc, $depth, $options);
    }

/**
     * @deprecated Deprecated since 1.7.0
     * Use json_encode instead
     * Convert an array to json string
     * @param array $data
     * @return string json
     */
    public static function jsonEncode($data, $options = 0, $depth = 512)
    {
        return json_encode($data, $options, $depth);
    }