Testing Prestashop for an easy inexpensive eshop/blog/website solution for a friend, I’m at the right place?

Chacapamac

A bit of background — I’m building custom websites for a long time. Pre-retired I build or work with Joomla based websites only  (I know Wordpress and others CMS very well...)

I’m just testing Prestashop and others solution to help a friend build an inexpensive easy to manage eshop to sell his books directly. He is a writer.

He is not a techie and need a foolproof, inexpensive solution to maintain his eshop. Products need to be king, with nice descriptions and photos and social bookmarking. He also need a blog easy to manage and, if possible, hook to his Facebook Page Also a simple contact page and a nice ”About Me” page. The website need to be multilingual...

Is Prestashop the right solution?

Blog module in

35 minut temu, Chacapamac napisał:

A bit of background — I’m building custom websites for a long time. Pre-retired I build or work with Joomla based websites only  (I know Wordpress and others CMS very well...)

I’m just testing Prestashop and others solution to help a friend build an inexpensive easy to manage eshop to sell his books directly. He is a writer.

He is not a techie and need a foolproof, inexpensive solution to maintain his eshop. Products need to be king, with nice descriptions and photos and social bookmarking. He also need a blog easy to manage and, if possible, hook to his Facebook Page Also a simple contact page and a nice ”About Me” page. The website need to be multilingual...

Is Prestashop the right solution?

+ whats @ndiaga said. Also, you can customize product page in very nice way.

Edited by ComGrafPL (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

If you know php, .css. javascipt, html, seo, marketing,  hosting and can build a test system to test change for new module feature, yes.  Else no, run don't walk to shopify.  

Most.small businesses and ps will never reach their dream potential because either they won't pay for new features, they broke and cannot fix.

Themes and modules are at best flakey and often need some customization either in source code or how they display.  We build in stealth mode in our modules, they before releasing but that is rare.

Shopify allows demo of features and themes before making live.  38usd a month is less than what andecent hosting would cost for ps.  Sure here people will tell you ps but after 15 years you had better be a tech and I doubt most here are working with clients selling 25k+ a month, to get there you need an agency that has all the skills, one person or even 5 people do not have the skill.sets to build really successful business.

Also ps uses community tested open source, which has broken and put of of business more than those that succeed.

But if you are willing to take responsibility for the shop and all that entails happy paying.

• Like 1

another tip, one should not have blog/content pages on ecommerce site, dilutes seo, confuses visitors (who leave), well unless it's a quilting shop, maybe an artist...else no...

really the main reason to use PS, is to get catalog features/attributes, then with faceted search visitors can drill down to single product from a category, menus suck loool...