Cart Performance

Joey

We're running the latest version (1.7.8.4) and have been on PS 1.7 since 1.7.5.2.  What we sorely miss from 1.6.1 is the speed of adding and removing items from the cart.  We find this much much much slower in PS 1.7.  We've been waiting for this to be addressed for a few years now, but there has been no push towards improving this.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to address cart speed going forward?

To my knowledge, there hasn't been announced something specifically in that regard and PrestaShop themselves seems to have other focuses right now. Myself, I wouldn't put my hope in this.

Since performance of the site and especially cart operations & checkout is very essential, as it can really make the difference of several percentages of having more (or less if it's worse) sales, I would suggest to get a developer on board who knows to pin down what's causing such issues, knows to distinguish what matters especially in terms of browser performance, how to address them in the best manner and can solve them for you.

I've been doing that for almost every store I've been working on, always with great results and seeing my customers benefiting greatly from it ;)

In default PrestaShop there are so many things which can be improved in terms of performance, especially in the theme. This however hasn't been a priority or a concern most of the time for the PrestaShop team.

Edited by innovacy (see edit history)

without seeing shop I cannot give exact reason, we do not have this issue on any of our client shops nor is it a technical issue we see come up.

disable ccc of .js via performance page, we have found that the CCC per page differs (name), so .js is being downloaded more than one.

ensure you have mod_expires enabled for .js

if you would like to partner with an agency who can fix fill out this simple form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdWTziYVLoiJkvIUQj4z6C5vBOJ_lGq8d_47XdPBKBWELMl0Q/viewform

The loading speed when adding a product to the cart may also depend on the couriers you have, in case they make external requests for the calculation of the delivery price. In case you have multiple couriers, and each one will make a request to calculate the price, this is where the problem would be.

So here's an example of slowness that doesn't include any calls to carriers.  The first thing we noticed when upgrading to 1.7 was that it was not fast enough to do stock management on the fly (ie people were able to add more items to the cart than we had in stock and then at checkout they'd get errors).

We corrected this oversight by adding this custom javascript to the custom.js of our theme:

if (prestashop.page.page_name == 'product') {
prestashop.on('updateProduct', function(){ $(".add-to-cart").attr("disabled", true); }); 
   if ((typeof $product !== 'undefined') && ($product.update_quantity_url <= $product.quantity)){
           prestashop.on('updatedProduct', function(){ $(".add-to-cart").attr("disabled", false); });
   }

}

So this works... but when changing the quantity it's about a 1.5 second wait for the shop to determine whether or not the new quantity can be added to the cart (ie the add to cart button is greyed out for that long).  This works, but it's super annoying and I'm sure customers get annoyed.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing?  Perhaps we are missing something.  We appreciate the responses.