Upgrade from Prestashop 1.6.24 to 1.7.8.2

Hi,

I have an old shop running Prestashop 1.6.24 and would like to update to 1.7.8.2.

Is it possible to do this by downloading the newest version of Prestashop, upload it to the server, unzip and visit the upgrade URL? Will orders, customers, products etc. follow as well?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jonathan

13 hours ago, Jontee said:

Is it possible to do this by downloading the newest version of Prestashop, upload it to the server, unzip and visit the upgrade URL? Will orders, customers, products etc. follow as well?

You can upgrade with free 1-click-upgrade module but please note that most of the modules and the theme won't work on 1.7. Do proper backups before and try this on a test instance first!

Hi,

Some say it works with the Prestashop 1-Click Upgrade modul and some say I need a paid module? Has anyone upgraded from Prestashop 1.6 to 1.7 and kept all of their customers, orders, products, settings etc.? I understand I need a new theme and modules for PS 1.7, that's no problem, but I would like to keep everything else mentioned.

Best regards,

9 hours ago, Jontee said:

some say I need a paid module

Probably the one selling these modules ;)

9 hours ago, Jontee said:

Has anyone upgraded from Prestashop 1.6 to 1.7 and kept all of their customers, orders, products, settings etc.

This should work, the challenges are more with themes, modules and overrides. Anyway try it out on a test-instance first and always take backups!

Edited by JBW (see edit history)

create a dev copy of your production system, apply the upgrade there.

you must first identify all 3rd party modules and theme (if not default)

get module and them upgrades

create dev copy 

run ps upgrade

apply upgraded 3rd party modules and theme

when prod ready, you will need to sync new customers and orders since you made copy

copy old shop to subdomain (so it does not get included in hosting backups)

create new db, copy prod db to new  db

remove old shop files

copy new shop files 

that's it.

also consider an agency, they can not only upgrade your ps but your entire front end 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I would only like to keep the backend store settings, customers, orders, invoices, etc. The theme and modules is not important, I can start from scratch.

Anyone have a step by step guide? I'm not really sure about the syncing/database here.

Many, many thanks.

Best regards,

Hi,
It is a quasi-impossible adventure to go from version 1.6 to 1.7 with the 1-click upgrade module. Unless you have a totally "virgin" installation, the moment you have installed third-party modules or modified things, chances are high that the update will fail.
Apart from that, you should bear in mind that neither the themes nor the majority of the modules of version 1.6 work for version 1.7, so if you have them active it will give you errors. 
To finish off, PS version 1.6 usually gives errors if you have PHP 7.x active, and version 1.7 gives them if you have PHP version 5.x active, which makes the transition from one version to another more complicated. even more.
So if you want to try again, do a full backup, switch back to the default theme first, disable all third-party modules, disable overrides, cross your fingers and pray. Even so, chances are you will miss an error somewhere and you won't be able to finish the migration.
The options are either to do a manual migration (a long, tedious process that requires a good understanding of the internal structure of PrestaShop), to try one of the third-party migration tools that exist, or to use the services of someone who dedicate yourself to this and do it to you.
My advice, if you decide to do it yourself, is to create a completely clean installation of 1.7 and then migrate the data of installation 1.6 (customers, categories, orders, products, etc.). 
And put a theme, reinstall all modules and configure everything in the new installation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Before to read this topic, I tried to upgrade my prestashop from 1.6.1 24 to 1.7.8.5 under PHP 7.1 with 1-click upgrade module and I got these errors

SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_configuration` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_connections_source` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_customer` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_employee` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_order_state` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_page_type` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
SQL 1.7.7.0 1709 in ALTER TABLE `pscu_smarty_cache` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci: Index column size too large. The maximum column size is 767 bytes.
[INTERNAL] /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/classes/Hook.php line 242 - PrestaShopObjectNotFoundException: The hook id #81 does not exist in database #0 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/classes/Hook.php(677): HookCore::getNameById(81) #1 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/classes/module/Module.php(1029): HookCore::unregisterHook(Object(BlockLayered), 81, NULL) #2 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/classes/module/Module.php(733): ModuleCore->unregisterHook(81) #3 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/ps_facetedsearch/ps_facetedsearch.php(269): ModuleCore->uninstall() #4 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/ps_facetedsearch/ps_facetedsearch.php(272): BlockLayered->{closure}() #5 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/ps_facetedsearch/ps_facetedsearch.php(183): Ps_Facetedsearch->uninstallPrestaShop16Module() #6 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/src/Adapter/Module/Module.php(251): Ps_Facetedsearch->install() #7 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/src/Core/Addon/Module/ModuleManager.php(312): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Adapter\Module\Module->onInstall() #8 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/src/Core/Addon/Theme/ThemeManager.php(365): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Addon\Module\ModuleManager->install(NULL) #9 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/src/Core/Addon/Theme/ThemeManager.php(245): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Addon\Theme\ThemeManager->doEnableModules(Array) #10 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/ThemeAdapter.php(113): PrestaShop\PrestaShop\Core\Addon\Theme\ThemeManager->enable('classic') #11 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/ThemeAdapter.php(51): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\ThemeAdapter->enableTheme17('classic') #12 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader.php(682): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\ThemeAdapter->enableTheme('classic') #13 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader17.php(124): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader->updateTheme() #14 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/UpgradeTools/CoreUpgrader/CoreUpgrader.php(118): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader17->updateTheme() #15 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/modules/autoupgrade/classes/TaskRunner/Upgrade/UpgradeDb.php(41): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\UpgradeTools\CoreUpgrader\CoreUpgrader->doUpgrade() #16 /web/htdocs/www.oltre-bio.it/home/Enjoy/admin18/autoupgrade/ajax-upgradetab.php(53): PrestaShop\Module\AutoUpgrade\TaskRunner\Upgrade\UpgradeDb->run() #17 {main}

The page 1-Click Upgrade on my admin is still open with the possibility to restore...

Do you have a solution or better to restore ?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Thats strange the module seemed works well.

How its possible that I found and installed 1-click upgrade from my back office if it not works ?

Ok so I will turned to the old version. Pity that's impossible to do by himself. 

Best regards,

clickup.png

Your database is having the wrong charset, you can change it e.g. in phpMyadmin

And 1.6. to 1.7 upgrade is possible with the module - but make sure you have a compatible theme, all modules are compatible and you are using correct PHP version

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Although it is a bit older post. . .

On 1/25/2022 at 5:20 PM, PrestaHeroes USA said:

when prod ready, you will need to sync new customers and orders since you made copy

How is this?
The customers and orders tables of the old database cannot be copied to the new database (one to one). Or is it?

Edited by diakro (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Diakro said:

Although it is a bit older post. . .

How is this?
The customers and orders tables of the old database cannot be copied to the new database (one to one). Or is it?

Hi, yes good question, when I say sync there are a couple of ways of doing it.  1) We have a lot of experience and were doing manually (experts only) then 2)  sync modules, that can copy certain datas from one ps version to another.  if not a lot of orders then one can manually add them.  

if you follow the process I posted, it's possible ( back up dev db) to test import of customers an orders, see what method you are technically comfortable with.