Blue Host or Host Gator?

• 2 weeks later...
I use host gator as well and they help me fix my 500 error with the on line help, there is tutorials on how to do most everything and they give you a lot for the money.

Thanks JBMONEy but there LIVE CHAT person replies very late. Do you think there customer support is good? How long have you been using it? Can you give me the URL? Which plan are you using of HOSTGATOR?

Im using the about $10 per month unlimited plan. The live chat may take a few minutes to get a rep, but they have always been very good at figuring out the issue and giving the solution to fix.

Can you give me the URL of your website which you have hsoted on Hostgator!

• 1 month later...

webhost4life will not support memcached pcl extension needed to make presta 1.4 run nice and fast and they limit the number of mysql databases and pricing is a bit high.
I just finished my analysis and after calling all, dealing with support teams and asking LOTS of questions on what they do and don't support seems like hostgator is my choice!

ALL BUT HostGator said they would not install my back up for me to switch.. VERY NICE!

All BUT HostGator said they do not support MEMCACHED PCL needed for speed
HostGator answered all my questions in less than 5 minutes, all others (15 others I evaluated) took well over 15 minutes
HostGator answered on the 1st ring with someone who knew what they were talking about, called again, same thing but different person also knew thier stuff
HostGator also had online chat answered questions and knew stuff.. speedy.. honest.
HostGator cost is really low
HostGator has many redundant systems and load balancing that will insure my site will be FAST
HostGator gives some nice freebies with service like ADWords $100 credit and such.

Overall they really shined in comparison to the others.
Up until now I thought webhostingpad.com was the bomb.. now not so much!

Well.. I have to recant.. I go to order it and the price "changes" they do not offer the SSL with the hatchling account only with the baby and the business.. so now the price doubles.. no longer affordable.
UG WORST PET PEEVE IS EVASIVE PRICING PRACTICES..

• 3 years later...

Hostgator is someone I would stay away from. I've never felt they were a good hosting company but since the change in ownership they have gone from middle of the pack to bad. 

Blue Host is owned by EIG the company that bought Hostgator so obviously not a good choice either.

Finding good shared hosting involves doing research. Typically if the company has name recognition outside of the development community that is a red flag. Marketing costs money and they need to make that up by excessive overselling, underwhelming support, and high-pressure up selling. That is fine since most of the people they attract will be setting up sites where performance is not a concern but for e-commerce you really want a company that is going to give you fast hosting.