1.6.0.10 : New "OnDemand" version, comments, privacy and ... PS developers

The new OnDemand version (in the clouds) looks very nice:,

1. fast,
  2. no more hosting cost,
  3. no need to dig into the forum/forge if there is a bug,
  4. new in localization: you can tweak the user browser behavior on language
  5. relax Max...?

Where are the bad points or questions?

1. no access to your database? (in fact when all is OK it's probably a good thing), in fact you have "read" access with "sql manager" in the BO and you can download a backup.
  2. SQL Manager allows you to view the result, but not to download it (as of today)                           => update 19/9: it is a bug and Prestashop will correct that ==> corrected thanks!!
  3. where is the privacy of your data, your customers list?
  4.  in BO, ... is there a way to export csv?
  5. you cannot develop a module? can you change one? ==> yes you can change one
  6. modules are restricted to those coming from Addons
  7. if there is a problem: the only way is to pay the PS support program, will PS come with a monthly fee?, avoiding to pay for a year upfront, with a price related to the price of a VPS? ==> answer so far is that PS will stick to a yearly price paid upfront
  8. where is is hosted? replicated?  ==> with OVH
  9. what about the sitemap.xml ? (no access to root directory) ==> you have access to the generated sitemaps
  10. you cannot upload your existing theme or one that you have developed ==> this can be done using the Import/Export Theme module
  11. how can one transfer all or part of an existing shop to the OnDemand?
  12. I use SC, is it possible to install it? ==> only if SC decides to go on Addons
  13. more to come ...

Any thoughts?

Interesting from a shop owner point of view?

post-78349-0-91790800-1411080522_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rv01 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The new OnDemand version (in the clouds) looks very nice:,

1. fast,
  2. no more hosting cost,
  3. no need to dig into the forum/forge if there is a bug,
  4. new in localization: you can tweak the user browser behavior on language
  5. relax Max...?

Where are the bad points or questions?

1. no access to your database? (in fact when all is OK it's probably a good thing)
  2. SQL Manager allows you to view the result, but not to download it !!! (as of today)                           => update 19/9: it is a bug and Prestashop will correct that
  3. where is the privacy of your data, your customers list?
  4.  in BO, ... is there a way to export csv?
  5. you cannot develop a module? can you change one?
  6. modules are restricted to those coming from addons
  7. and if there is a problem: the only way is to pay the PS support program, will PS come with a monthly fee, avoiding to pay for a year upfront, with a price related to the price of a VPS?
  8. where is is hosted? replicated?
  9. what about the sitemap.xml ? (no access to root directory)
  10. you cannot upload your existing theme or one that you have developed
  11. how can one transfer all or part of an existing shop to the OnDemand?
  12. I use SC, is it possible to install it?
  13. more to come ...

Any thoughts?

Interesting from a shop owner point of view?

Hi,

Thanks for the message. First, can you read this blog post and let me know if you have other specific questions. Some of your questions are answered here. Thank you!

http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/prestashop-beta-program-questions-answers/

Hi,

Thanks for the message. First, can you read this blog post and let me know if you have other specific questions. Some of your questions are answered here. Thank you!

http://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/prestashop-beta-program-questions-answers/

Hello,

After reading the blog, I still have a few questions:

1. How can I transfer an existing 1.6 shop to OnDemand?

=> cats, products, clients, orders, stats, theme, …

2. I have customized a module that I bought, how can I install it?

3. Any chance to be able to use “Store Commander” module that I bought?

(I tried but it cannot be installed)

4. If, in the future, Prestashop goes bust (those things happen), can I transfer the shop back to a "downloadable" version?

5. I have modified some modules: like “EDITORIAL” for instance, adding the TinyMCE functionality, is that still possible?

6. The updates of PS, are they done automatically?

Thanks

René

Will this lead the way for free modules to be available on the addons store?.  There is an incredible amount of free modules made available to the community that will not be able to get used.

And for modules that are purchased through the addons store, let's face it, passing the PS validation does not mean they work.  It just means they pass a validation check.  Is going with this new cloud version going to prevent merchants from patching their addons?

• Like 1

Hello,

After reading the blog, I still have a few questions:

1. How can I transfer an existing 1.6 shop to OnDemand?

=> cats, products, clients, orders, stats, theme, …

2. I have customized a module that I bought, how can I install it?

3. Any chance to be able to use “Store Commander” module that I bought?

(I tried but it cannot be installed)

4. If, in the future, Prestashop goes bust (those things happen), can I transfer the shop back to a "downloadable" version?

5. I have modified some modules: like “EDITORIAL” for instance, adding the TinyMCE functionality, is that still possible?

6. The updates of PS, are they done automatically?

Thanks

René

1. At this time, only new stores are going to be OnDemand. You will not be able to transfer existing data or migrate from another solution.

2. Only Addons Modules will be accepted. If they are customized, you will not be able to install them.

3. No because it is not on the Addons.

4. You can but it will have to be a manual switch and formatting a new csv. 

5. Yes, You can still do overrides on modules. 

6. Yes

Will this lead the way for free modules to be available on the addons store?.  There is an incredible amount of free modules made available to the community that will not be able to get used.

And for modules that are purchased through the addons store, let's face it, passing the PS validation does not mean they work.  It just means they pass a validation check.  Is going with this new cloud version going to prevent merchants from patching their addons?

1. Free modules available on the Addon store? - This is something we have seriously considered but no decision is made yet. However, It does seem likely.

2. Not at all, you will still be able to patch Addons through updates. 

Overall, at this time, the Beta program is on it's early stages. Even when we launch, it's not going to flex the full potential of what OnDeamand will do. We first want to keep it simple, then we can expand it's features as needed. 

Especially questions about patching modules, overriding modules, etc.. these are things that need to be rolled out slowly. 

2. Not at all, you will still be able to patch Addons through updates.

This is not clear.  How can a module be patched, if the only way to install/update modules is via the back office from the addons store?  Does this imply that the module developer has to create the patch and then upload a new module version to the addons store?  This is not a patch, this is just an updated module version.

There are many instances, lets use the 2 Paypal modules, that are very buggy and do not work on all merchants websites.  If we cannot directly patch these modules outside of the addons update process, merchants may never receive these patches.

many people who just want to get started and sell products, learn e-commerce...and just fill in their content boxes are forced to 'install' on'some' hosting that may or may not really work that well.

a managed solution would let people get on with the important work.  having capability to 'upgrade' shop with more native features would be a nice feature, say they grow and need more giddy up or ftp etc.

will this support multishop feature?

having 'cloud' of 'just' PrestaShop is really good specific solution compared to generic hosting choices that do not always play kind to ecommerce cms's.

happy day, el

• Like 1

This is not clear.  How can a module be patched, if the only way to install/update modules is via the back office from the addons store?  Does this imply that the module developer has to create the patch and then upload a new module version to the addons store?  This is not a patch, this is just an updated module version.

There are many instances, lets use the 2 Paypal modules, that are very buggy and do not work on all merchants websites.  If we cannot directly patch these modules outside of the addons update process, merchants may never receive these patches.

What is the problem with Paypal modules?

I use those for over 4 years, in 2 different countries, without trouble, and with numerous upgrades.

many people who just want to get started and sell products, learn e-commerce...and just fill in their content boxes are forced to 'install' on'some' hosting that may or may not really work that well.

a managed solution would let people get on with the important work.  having capability to 'upgrade' shop with more native features would be a nice feature, say they grow and need more giddy up or ftp etc.

will this support multishop feature?

having 'cloud' of 'just' PrestaShop is really good specific solution compared to generic hosting choices that do not always play kind to ecommerce cms's.

happy day, el

Yes, it supports multistore / multishop.

• Like 1

What is the problem with Paypal modules?

I use those for over 4 years, in 2 different countries, without trouble, and with numerous upgrades.

You should review the Paypal forum here and educate yourself on the numerous issues.

The point being that modules have issues and often require an immediate patch.  Merchants don't want to want for a bug report to be filed, a developer to fix the issue 2 months from now, and then wait for that fix to make it onto the addons store.

Case in point, the paypal usa module v1.3.8 was released mid August.  There have been 7 commits to fixing various issues with this module since that date, and v1.3.9 has not been released with any of these changes.

https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-modules/pulls

@fred: Please don't delete posts that are on topic.

Edited by bellini13 (see edit history)

You should review the Paypal forum here and educate yourself on the numerous issues.

The point being that modules have issues and often require an immediate patch.  Merchants don't want to want for a bug report to be filed, a developer to fix the issue 2 months from now, and then wait for that fix to make it onto the addons store.

Case in point, the paypal usa module v1.3.8 was released mid August.  There have been 7 commits to fixing various issues with this module since that date, and v1.3.9 has not been released with any of these changes.

https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop-modules/pulls

@fred: Please don't delete posts that are on topic.

In Belgium, France and UK the paypal module is working fine (for me), but I agree with Fred: this is totally out of subject.

It lead to this one:

One sub-subject is this: can you modify an existing module in OnDemand version? Have you tried?

One sub-subject is this: can you modify an existing module in OnDemand version? Have you tried?

I should not need to try, Prestashop should be clear on how they expect this to work.  I am simply pointing out a flaw and negative user experience if they do not allow it. 

As Ben replied already, it is not clear how they will allow module updates and patches to occur. 

The details about how much flexibility we will allow the module section is unclear. I am waiting for a more detailed answer before I can confidentially give an official answer.

I should not need to try, Prestashop should be clear on how they expect this to work.  I am simply pointing out a flaw and negative user experience if they do not allow it. 

As Ben replied already, it is not clear how they will allow module updates and patches to occur. 

I don't fault Fred at all for moderating these posts. They were off topic talking about the appropriateness of certain words, being offended etc...

Those posts are off topic and will stay removed. 

To give more details about the Override. It is confirmed that we will allow overrides on modules, classes, controllers. 

Here are the related GitHub pages.  https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/pull/2133 and https://github.com/PrestaShop/PrestaShop/commit/a21d2e9d0e7176bbfd005aac5825a6e1e6b718f0

More details as they come in. All questions about PrestaShop Beta Cloud Solution are welcome. 

I don't fault Fred at all for moderating these posts. They were off topic talking about the appropriateness of certain words, being offended etc...

Those posts are off topic and will stay removed.

Removing those are fine, removing posts that explain why not allowing modules to be patched or updated, unless through the addons store, not fine.

So I assume Prestashop still does not have an answer on updating or patching modules outside of them being downloaded from the addons store.  You can review my previous post using paypalusa as a prime example.

Removing those are fine, removing posts that explain why not allowing modules to be patched or updated, unless through the addons store, not fine.

So I assume Prestashop still does not have an answer on updating or patching modules outside of them being downloaded from the addons store.  You can review my previous post using paypalusa as a prime example.

I checked the removed posts again, for the third time. It was fine, there are no posts that were removed about not allowing modules to be patched or updated. PM me directly if you want to see the removed posts for yourself. 

Your assumption is correct, there is no official answer. We are announcing the beta version at an Ecommerce conference right now. You'll have an answer to your question by early next week. Thanks!

• Like 1

As a shop owner for years, with a long history of painful upgrades, bugs, hosting vs Prestashop software relationship bugs, forum *** help, patches, buying (some non working) modules, (some non working) themes, spending time, days, months with problems not related to the shop itself, I have to say:

I would be better having spent this time and money on the shop and its SEO, and playing golf.

Good VPS hosting (with SSD disk, enough memory etc...) is expensive enough to question ourselves on a free hosting.

In a nutshell, if PS is coming up with a reliable and complete [full featured] hosted [free] environment it looks like a dream, isn't it?

• The developers can go with addons, and ask PS to take less $$. while both are making a living.
  • Forum community can continue the good job, of course.
  • Any accepted addons module or the PS ones can be overridden, if needed, as it has been said.
  • And we can enjoy being a shop owner not having to manipulate this horrible PHP slang, to name just one.

And the irreducible adventurers and the developers/agencies can still download and customize.

Let's see what the following days are bringing to us, beside the Ryder Cup joy of course.

Feel free to comment.

Cheers

Rene

More details as they come in. All questions about PrestaShop Beta Cloud Solution are welcome. 
  • Like 1

I'm sceptical about free hosting by PS. Not allowing free modules, no access to DB or no API to read/write data or/and rigid module review policy (module cannot host an API for others to access PS data) will lock down the shop owners to PS addon store.

That is not always good thing. From our experience, we know that we do need access to PS data via DB or via APIs (r/w), for example we want to sync data with our offline accouting system. We the shop owners are left with no option but use whats available in addon store.  At the same time, shop owners wont know what all they need in the future for their business, but when you find that you need to use a solution which is not availabe in PS addon store, then what?

We atleaset need an easy way to migrate the store to other hosting environment. Manual import/export is not going to help, the poor shop owner (not so tech savy) has no confident of doing that.

We need more clarity on how the future will look.... I can understand from PS point of view that if they lockdown users to their PS addon store, they could use the revenue to aid the free hosting and bump their profit. The choice is yours (shop owenrs)

My 2 cents... correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by JohnPass (see edit history)

You can read whatever you want in the DB, using the back office or a module.

What I discovered is that the "theme installer" module is in OnDemand, and it works.

With this module you can install a theme and this can include the installation of a module, some theme include a module for more front end management.

Is that solving an issue?

You can read whatever you want in the DB, using the back office or a module.

What I discovered is that the "theme installer" module is in OnDemand, and it works.

With this module you can install a theme and this can include the installation of a module, some theme include a module for more front end management.

Is that solving an issue?

Isnt it a round about way? Modules can access DB, but are free modules allowed?

What you can do is modify an existing module and add what you like to perform inside the module.

That I have tested and it works.

Would you like to explain how you modified the existing module?  As I have asked several times, and the answer is you can only install modules from the addons store. 

So how did you modify a module once it has been installed?

Would you like to explain how you modified the existing module?  As I have asked several times, and the answer is you can only install modules from the addons store. 

So how did you modify a module once it has been installed?

Well it is quite simple.

If you are invited, like me, to participate to the tests, you can create a shop, you get access to the BO and the FO.

Also you get a FTP access to certain directories, one is "MODULES".

Then you use whatever "Filezilla" you like, you edit a module, add your "customization" and that's all.

Or you use another directory like "Overrides".

I must say I did not do anything fancy, I just modified a text in "editorial" module and this showed immediately when using the module again.

I will try to put something more complicate I need somewhere in a module I don't need but which is in the directory: what I want is to extract information from the DB (orders related) and create a csv file.

I need that for the company doing my logistics: specific fields in specific order and "accents" management (the last part cannot be done with a Mysql "SELECT" unfortunately. And there is of course no module in the Addons doing that, just because it is specific.

Unfortunately I am not fluent in PHP, so I will have to experiment, more on this later.

My position is that Prestashop could put a certified approved skeleton module, or several ones, in the modules directory, then you can add what you like inside, when you need like me really custom things to be done. As long as these customizations don't put the core or the DB in danger.

This said, allowing to customize / override and forbidding to change the core is "peace of mind", as long as PS reacts rapidly on discovered bugs transmitted professionally on the forge. Don't you think?

Cheers

Rene

ok, thanks for providing your feedback.  I was invited to the beta, but have not yet tried to test it.

The information you have provided directly conflicts with some of the information in the FAQ, and the information stated in this thread, which is why I am asking for the clarification.

First, the FAQ starts off providing information that you have confirmed, that's great.

What are the customization possibilities of this cloud platform?

Because you have access to template files, modules and overrides, you can fully customize a store, whether in terms of graphics or features. You can also personalize a store by using the modules and templates available through PrestaShop Addons.

Then it starts to get confusing... well if I can install modules outside of the Prestashop addons store, or directly upload via FTP (as you say), then what is this next section all about?  This section states that all modules on the hosted version "must be validated and marked through Prestashop addons"...  Well, that tells you that free modules, and modules not hosted in addons cannot be used...  See the conflict?

What about Addons? Why does my module not show up in my Beta store?

For the sake of simplicity, security and best practices, modules that can be installed in the hosted version of PrestaShop must be validated and marketed through PrestaShop Addons. This will make it easy for users to find all the extensions they want in one place. It is also a “mark of trust” that guarantees the modules work properly. In addition, it allows seamless modifications of your PrestaShop in the cloud for updates and so forth.

For developers, it’s also a good thing to offer their modules on Addons: it’s a seal of quality, and they definitely gain in visibility and sales being available on the official marketplace. If you usually develop for PrestaShop by following the guidelines in our documentation, your modules will work with our hosted solution. Remember to follow the module development rules to be sure they will be fully compatible with all PrestaShop stores.

Not confused yet? ... ok then let's go back to this reply from Ben (sorry Ben)...

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/361130-16010-new-ondemand-version-comments-privacy-and-ps-developers/?p=1807669

2. Only Addons Modules will be accepted. If they are customized, you will not be able to install them.

3. No because it is not on the Addons.

So, hopefully you can understand my confusion and why I am asking these questions and for confirmation.

Well it is quite simple.

If you are invited, like me, to participate to the tests, you can create a shop, you get access to the BO and the FO.

Also you get a FTP access to certain directories, one is "MODULES".

Then you use whatever "Filezilla" you like, you edit a module, add your "customization" and that's all.

Or you use another directory like "Overrides".

I must say I did not do anything fancy, I just modified a text in "editorial" module and this showed immediately when using the module again.

I will try to put something more complicate I need somewhere in a module I don't need but which is in the directory: what I want is to extract information from the DB (orders related) and create a csv file.

I need that for the company doing my logistics: specific fields in specific order and "accents" management (the last part cannot be done with a Mysql "SELECT" unfortunately. And there is of course no module in the Addons doing that, just because it is specific.

Unfortunately I am not fluent in PHP, so I will have to experiment, more on this later.

My position is that Prestashop could put a certified approved skeleton module, or several ones, in the modules directory, then you can add what you like inside, when you need like me really custom things to be done. As long as these customizations don't put the core or the DB in danger.

This said, allowing to customize / override and forbidding to change the core is "peace of mind", as long as PS reacts rapidly on discovered bugs transmitted professionally on the forge. Don't you think?

Cheers

Rene

Whatever hack you do may later be fixed and not allowed. Remember its not stated by PS that you can hack a module and add anything you want. What if the contract of free hosting says if you tamper with any module then you are violation? Remember it's not open hosting or your paid full access hosting. You are essentially getting in to a contact of buying what's available on add-on store and use whatever the service provided by PS. It may be OK for small shops however. Edited by JohnPass (see edit history)

I never said you can install a module via FTP, you can copy one in but not install and/or use it if it does not come from Addons.

What you can do, so far, is override or change the code of an existing one in the directory you have access to, i.e. modules and themes. This is not hacking and is permitted.

What I say is what I discovered and tried, regardless of any FAQ.

It does not conflict with the FAQ if you read it positively:

""Because you have access to template files, modules and overrides, you can fully customize a store, whether in terms of graphics or features.""

I'd not allow FTP.  Solved. (Arizona style)

Nirvana for shop managers is doing everything from back office.  Once 'anyone' is allowed FTP, 'all bests are off'. :)

happy day, el

Hi Fred, you imagine wonderland, which I dream of also, obviously.

You are perfectly right, but reality is different. When you want to change fonts, colors, you need to change some code. The tools provided by PS are too weak. And PS and the forum moderators have always encouraged users to modify the theme CSS when needed. How to do that without FTP? Also, if you have to extract and format data of YOUR shop, for instance, it is normal to have access to module customization.

Anyway Benjamin said it again, and again: this is allowed, thanks!!!

And back to JohnPass post, hacking in computing is associated with crime... (not my saying, see Wikipedia),

here we only contemplate allowed customization of an hopefully robust open source software hosted at no cost.

Anything wrong with that?

Instead of criticize, those of you invited by PS to test, just test and then comment, you are welcome, it does not take hours.

Best

• Like 1

I'd not allow FTP.  Solved. (Arizona style)

Nirvana for shop managers is doing everything from back office.  Once 'anyone' is allowed FTP, 'all bests are off'. :)

happy day, el

Well, unfortunately we do have PS here suggesting us to use say 'Shop Manager for PS' tool which doesn't run on back office. You use right tool for your job, we all wish for a silver bullet. But then reality is different.

• Like 1

So if I have access to FTP and the modules directory, what stops me from uploading and installing a new module that is not from addons?

That's not really the case. Like I said, this is still in Beta and more information is coming. I'll try and get some more answers before the weekend and see what are the developments regarding module access.  

Mike, have you received beta access yet?

heck if it's beta: (does not include idea for admin access level)

bronze: no ftp  x prodcuts,

silver: no ftp xx products

gold: mabye ftp, xxx products

---capitalist style

all business models have turned to subscription based, the only way you can get a house in Apsen.

also it would be nice to have cloud configured specifically for PrestaShop so we don't have as many hosting configuration issues on forum. Like 1000 on I can't translate because of hosting limit. 

I have seen many successful shop managers (i.e. very profitable) who don't know how to access via FTP.  This is because they are running 'hight quality' themes with enough config (read not default theme) to make accessing .css a non-issue.

if shop manager can stay in theme folder...then easy upgrades...(well comparatively)   It's a beautiful day here in Kansas City.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Here are some updates!

You can only install modules coming from our PrestaShop Addons Store. As said, this is mandatory for security, simplicity and updates.

Today you can edit these modules, but you'll lose those edits when there's a new release of PrestaShop and we recommend everyone to upgrade their stores when a new version is coming out so you can keep up with best practices.

With the next version of PrestaShop we will release, we'll provide a way to override modules. This version will also be available on the Cloud version, so you'll be able to override the modules like you're used to with the core.

Hope this answer helps you see more clear

Have a good day :)

• Like 1

You can only install modules coming from our PrestaShop Addons Store. As said, this is mandatory for security, simplicity and updates.

Today you can edit these modules, but you'll lose those edits when there's a new release of PrestaShop and we recommend everyone to upgrade their stores when a new version is coming out so you can keep up with best practices.

I hope you are only referring to the cloud version

Yes we know that since day 1 of the launch of OnDemand.

It would be nice to have a possibility to upload free modules to ADDONS.  So you PS can "verify" them.

The community has developed/adapted/maintained nice FREE things, some are simple like "Super User" to allow us to log in a customer account to verify things or help our clients.

Why forbidding those modules that help us on a daily base?

The idea of "not allowing core modifications" is obviously right and safe, but adding "our" modules should be allowed, even for $$$.

BTW, what is the minimum price for an ADDON?

It can be a way to pay you to verify a module then we buy it back from ourselves, no? Is that what you want?

Or you could set up a simple module verification procedure, free or not.

Take care

Rene

• Like 1

With the next version of PrestaShop we will release, we'll provide a way to override modules. This version will also be available on the Cloud version, so you'll be able to override the modules like you're used to with the core.

This modules "override" possibility is already there with FTP access, in the OnDemand, are you talking of something else?

What type of security are we taking about here, how many sites have been hacked or brought down by allowing free / unverified module install? I know there are no answers for these. Its just pushing me to ask this question when people say 'for security reasons'.

I like what @Rene says , we can pay to get a free module verified if that will help PS's security team.

Edited by JohnPass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes JohnPass

And... only existing shop owners and developers have been invited to test the beta Cloud version.

We, of course, have existing shop(s).

A way to transfer our data to the new platform would be nice, like clients, cats, products, etc... 

and history: orders, baskets rules, stats,... also, if this is not too much to ask.

I have just one shop, and happy with it. Say I want to move to the cloud version, why would I create a new shop???

Hello everyone,

@Rv01 When the Community asked for Free modules on Addons we tried to allow them by making the Community test and approve them. It didn't work and modules were left there with no verification. Paid modules are also a good way to ensure support from the developers. We're receiving A LOT (like really) of modules everyday that we have to verify fir compatibility, security, marketing... and we definitely can't do everything.

There's no easy way to transfer your shop to the cloud version right now. But if you want to open a new shop, I encourage you to try it out and see if it can match your expectations!

@JohnPass There's a lot you can do if a module is compromised. With this cloud version, PrestaShop is even more involved in the every shop security. That's the reason why we have to be careful and need to check out all modules. We also want to be sure that they follow our guidelines as it will help us ensure shop updates.

@JohnPass @Rv01 Pay to upload free modules: that's what we call a partnership at PrestaShop and you can contact our sales team and talk with them about it.

I hope it answers your questions!

Have a good week :)

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

@Rv01 When the Community asked for Free modules on Addons we tried to allow them by making the Community test and approve them. It didn't work and modules were left there with no verification. Paid modules are also a good way to ensure support from the developers. We're receiving A LOT (like really) of modules everyday that we have to verify fir compatibility, security, marketing... and we definitely can't do everything.

PS also takes a hefty (30 - 50 % commission) on sales of these modules, so it is hard for me to sympathize with PS when they complain about how many modules and validations they have to perform.  If you can't "do everything" then it sounds like it is time to beef up your support team, and start reinvesting some of that profit.

Prestshop should realize that there are numerous free/popular modules out there.  So if PS is not willing to add/validate all of them, then PS should at least figure out which are the most popular and create a process for submitting and validating those.

Again, the actions by Prestashop always seem to be about the best way to maximize profit, but at the same time it is alienating the community and its users.  Not a good combination...

• Like 3

@Rv01 Pay to upload free modules: that's what we call a partnership at PrestaShop and you can contact our sales team and talk with them about it.

OK understood, let's stay practical; now tell me:

MY QUESTION: how (and who) do I contact the "sales team" and house eventually in being able to use a module not in Addons, and how much do I have to pay you for that?

Two examples:

Case 1: a module that I have already purchased, outside ADDONS, such as StoreCommander for instance? I do not expect having to buy it again of course. But I would agree to pay a fee to use it (for myself only) on OnDemand.

Case 2: permission to use the "superuser" free module? Again, what's the procedure and fee?

Can you forward that question to the sales guys please?

I think the answer is interesting for everyone.

Tks

René

i.e. addon's and complaining about what ps takes from module sale.

developers got to eat, house themselves and family, heck maybe even a small yacht or house in Aspen. I can not as private developers slight PrestaShop for charging 30-50 percent for sales on addon's.  I can tell there is a significant amount of work done by ps team not only in the infrastructure but also verification process.  my two cents.

so it is hard for me to sympathize with PS when they complain about how many modules and validations they have to perform. 

We're not complaining at all :) We're making choices because we can't do everything right now. And as I told you, we tried a different method for free modules but it didn't work.

How (and who) do I contact the "sales team" and house eventually in being able to use a module not in Addons, and how much do I have to pay you for that?

To join the sales team, best is to give us a phone call, you have it at the very top of our website! You'll be in touch with someone that will be able to follow your requests.

Partnerships are usually used by modules that sell a service out of this module (like a shipping solution) but your case would be interesting to study with our team. So give us a phone call!

( I know this cloud version raise a lot of questions, so thank you all for your feedback! :) )

We're not complaining at all :) We're making choices because we can't do everything right now. And as I told you, we tried a different method for free modules but it didn't work.

that is complaining.  PS is avoiding to allow free modules to be placed on the addons site because of the time and management of validating them.  PS"tried" to place the burden back on the community, which apparently failed, so instead of PS owning the burden, it decided to "not do everything" it could to allow it.

So instead of "not doing everything" in your power to allow it, figure out another way to solve it.  You can do everything, you just choose not to

• Like 1

The best bet is to make the users aware of what they are gaining and/or losing by going for a restricted hosting environment. May be the community shall setup a seperate 'free modules' validation process which say atleast 5 peers will review and certify that there is no hack in it (may be needed for the module developers who sell outside PS add on store). Also support rating for free modules. We cannot suggest a compnay to not make profit. We know PS has been funded with 10M, now its the PS teams game to make that 10M pay off for the investors. So , hey free module loves and users, 'keep calm, carry on'. do that community as you have always.

• 2 weeks later...

Still very buggy as a "beta", I had to create two accounts, because on the first email address I did not received my password and no email was able to resend.

In the current account I just can't login to the BackOffice - after I attempted to login I was redirected to a Dashboard blank page. The support did not respond for the last 3 days, so for now I did not even tried how the BackOffice is working. 

Supporting only addons. modules is also a problem, since most of the clients need custom modules. If I try to sell them through addons it will be also a problem, since it take a lot of time for a module to be validated (so far my latest module is pending for the last 10 days). 

I will definitely not recommend this service to my clients for now. Too buggy, too slow response form the support, too limited.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry your first experience didn't go well.

Did you use the Feedback Button on this cloud version to reach us out and let us know what went wrong? send us a not through it, you should get an answer pretty quickly :)

This cloud version is not aimed to replace the downloadable version you all now. If clients need custom development, it will always be possible with this version. And, on this cloud version, you still have access to the override files and a few other ones, allowing you to make customizations!

Have a good week!

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry your first experience didn't go well.

Did you use the Feedback Button on this cloud version to reach us out and let us know what went wrong? send us a not through it, you should get an answer pretty quickly :)

This cloud version is not aimed to replace the downloadable version you all now. If clients need custom development, it will always be possible with this version. And, on this cloud version, you still have access to the override files and a few other ones, allowing you to make customizations!

Have a good week!

6 days and no answer from the "Cloud" support. I sent another "feedback" today. Still can't login to the BackOffice.

Edited by PrestaShopDeveloper (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

No news for 6 weeks, about OnDemand.

Has anyone gone forward with a production shop?

Any success stories?

Prestashop: will this "OnDemand" beta last for ever? There is nothing to see about it on the Prestashop front page. How could we rely on a beta offer to start a "real" shop in production? And if we do dare to do it, will this last, that's the question.

Hello rv01,

There are already a few shops in production with this cloud version!

It's hard to call Success Stories after a couple of months but we have feedback from a few of them telling us that they are processing orders.

This Beta won't last forever, but as you can imagine, we don't want to launch to the public too soon.

Yes, as said in this blog post, if you start a shop with this beta version you will still be able to run your store when launch to public.

Have a good day!

• Like 1

Hello rv01,

Right now, the team was working on making the best cloud version possible.

Regarding migration, of course we didn't forget about it but we're only starting to work on it. We have real merchants doing the process but it's still at an early stage. When you go in the footer of our website you should see a link "Switch to PrestaShop", that's the solution we're testing these days.

So no perfect solution today at this time, but we're aware of it and we're trying to propose solution as soon as we have one that is fully satisfying.

Have a good evening!

• Like 1

hey Quentin,

There is no link like "switch to Prestashop" in the footer of your website, or I need new glasses.

If you read my posts correctly, I do not consider migration. A real merchant would never migrate to a beta environment, I hope you were not serious.

To test and try OnDemand we (real merchants) just ask to be able to transfer categories and products of an existing PS shop, is that so difficult to understand? (By the way, the IMPORT CSV does not work with OnDemand, it stops after a few imports...)

To test this version, do you expect "real merchants" to create 1000 products one by one?

Real merchants don't waste time but may be keen to participate, if you do something to ease that: a simple tool to extract products/cats from one shop to Ondemand shop.

Come on and give us a solution asked since day 1.

Rene

Hello Rene,

Find a screenshot attached to this message of where you can find the "Switch to PrestaShop" link on the footer.

You're twisting my words ;) Yes, we have real merchants that are migrating their stores and our team is helping them but I didn't say that we are encouraging people to migrate. That's the merchants choice.

We are not launching this version for people to migrate on it. If they want to, we will support them, but we're not pushing anyone. It's just a new way for people to start and run their online shop. If you have a store up and running with the Download version we would never ask you to migrate except if you want to.

Thank you for your feedback on the CSV import stoping at some point, we'll look into it. Product is not perfect yet, that's why a Beta is for.

There are no solution right now to extract product / categories as you're asking. I don't know if we will be able to provide one soon, but I add your request to the feedback we have.

Thank you.