Can't change category positions after upgrade to 1.5.5.0

@Vekia your solution doesn't help.

@hqamar your proposed solution is not working. Yes arrows appear if you click right arrow but all categories sorts when you click on that arrow.

In my case, when I clicked on arrow on right side under position, it sorted the category list, also up/down arrows appears for each category, which enable me to change order list

Good morning,

This is a new install on a live server PS 1.5.5

Their does seem to be a problem with changing category positions

When going to the category page there is only one arrow visible (see image 1)

If you click on the visible arrow then all arrows appear and you can change category positions (see image2)

When you refresh the page you are back to one arrow again

Hope this helps

Paul

post-321361-0-99606400-1378027788_thumb.png

post-321361-0-91892700-1378027797_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The problem is that you would expect the down and up arrows under Position to perform similar functions, one being the reverse of the other (like the arrows under ID and Name) - but they perform different functions. The down arrow reverses the order of display in the back office, while the up arrow presents the current order in front and back office and changes the position numbers to arrows to permit manual reordering.

This is inconsistent and confusing.

My preference would be to have the arrows under Position work in exactly the same way as those under ID and Name, i.e. show the back office list in either ascending or descending position order. Then have a separate button labelled e.g. Manual Reorder (enabled only when the list in either ascending or descending position order) which presents arrows/drag & drop functionality to move individual categories (or even blocks of categories) to a different position in the list.

A nice-to-have would be to have the arrows not replacing the position numbers, and have the position numbers update dynamically as the category is moved.

Cheers, Dave

• 1 month later...

I agree that the way it functions now, can be confusing and weird. You need to click, sometimes twice on the arrows in order for the rest of the arrows to show. After that, you can drag and drop the categories. I'll make a note to the team to see if we can design a better way. 

Thanks!

Hi, I have made a separate post elsewhere about this issue.  The categories code is messed up.  I have lost several categories due to some id numbering problem of some sort.  I believe we need to address this issue with the next update.  I have been spending days trying to figure this problem out.  Long story short, I made a new hierarchy of categories and started reassigning categories into directories.  As I was troubleshooting my top horizontal menu, I had to switch up the hierarchy - that is when the problem started.  When I made new root categories, the original categories disappeared. So then I remade those categories thinking the products would pop back up in them, but that didnt work (id's are different).  I deleted the root categories I made and all the categories disappeared, even the original home.  So then I tried to make a new hierarchy and the categories page is not responding properly.  It does not display categories at all until I hit the reset button, then it shows some of the categories that have been made along with the original root folder. When I try to access my fourth home category made, it shows subcategories that I made. If I go to any other category in the root folder it shows the same subcategories as if the parent_id structure is causing problems.  

Also at one point I had a redirect loop I had to fix with this code.

Edited by roamencota (see edit history)