Alphabetical order of categories

Radek100

Hi, anybody know why new version 1.4.0.17 doesn't automatically order categories (not products)? I have clean installation and my cattegories are in this order:
iPods
Accessories
Laptops
When I create new category for example DVD it is after Laptops. Everywhere is written that prestashop sort automatically categories alphabetically, but ....? I tried 1.3.7 version and it sort automatically by alphabet.

Thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

I think the answer to this is no, as prestashop 1.4 now uses positions.

But there is a very quick way i have found if you can access the raw databases in navicat or something

(1) Open ps_category_lang
(2) Copy the database into excel (probably easiest) and arrange the sheet in A-Z order based on name
(3) Add a new field called positions and add new data of consective numbers that goes 1,2,3,4,5.....Just start to type 1,2,3,4,5 in excel and then copy down if you do not know how to do this.
(4) Then arrange the sheet by id_category
(5) Open the ps_category table and arrange it by id_category (check that the IDs match the ones on the excel sheet
(6) Copy the new position field into ps_category table into the position field

Now that i have written it down, it sounds more complex than i imagined. But only took me 2 mins, where to arrange it manually would have taken 5 hours. One of the ecommerce has 500+ categories

Need any help just let me know

• 6 months later...

this issue is again open??

unbelievable.... Prestashop does not sort categories by name!

guys, why you made these errors? put your brain in shopper's mind, you go on a website to buy a toner cartridge for your printer for example, when you go on your brand you see over 300 machines (subcategories) to choice, you start to search your's (instintively by alphabetical order) but there are all mixed and not alphabetically sorted, what kind of idea you have of that site's owner?? I guarantee you that in this case you become hurry and come back to google to search another site.

please MAKE A BUTTON IN BACK OFFICE CALLED " Sort Categories Alphabetically".

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...